• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[S>Proofreader] [S>Translator] Fuck EngRish, let's give our favorite games their badge of honour. [STILL STANDING]

Will Mask

Oct 28, 2017

First of all, please keep in mind that we are all amateurs, and no one is a rocket scientist.
Y'all might do mistakes, even I might, and that's why I'm here to correct them.

Let's get started shall we ?

Who the fuck are you?

Well, let me introduce myself. I'm a French guy who has done language studies for a few years now. Thus, you might assume that I've more of a grammatical phrasing than a current one ; you would be perfectly right. But hey? are we there to make friends or to speak like we're in the gaddamn streets? No we are not. Let's take this game genre to another level, a literary one. I have loved playing Depraved Awakening, Acting Lessons, City of Broken Dreamers, Dreams of Desire because they all have a marvelous character writing. But as soon as I played Girl House I was like: damn, that felt so rushed and empty.
So here I am, hoping a great game dev will ask for my services, so we could make its game a fucking legend. (God knows how many great games are around there with a filthy engRish)

Why should I hire you? Are you any good?

Although I might not be a pro, I guess I'm still a decent translator. I've already translated many texts from major literary works such as: A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Proust (French to English) or Brave New World, Huxley (English to French) and many more!
You may wonder about Russian, and indeed I'm not acquainted with it. However it is no issue, because I can rework the translations made with GTrad to make them more proper ones.

I'm interested, how can I contact you?

To be fair, I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible. Thus I would prefer you start a conversation with me directly on F95zone. If it ain't possible or you'd rather work with me somewhere else, tell me here first.
I'm not answering anything I receive on the email I used to register on F95!

I'm in! How would work?

What I'd like is to work when I can and when I want. However, if you give me a deadline for a piece of the project I'll do it in time, of course.
I'm keeping myself free of charge, but if you are pleased by my work, feel free to compensate!

Are you sure you wouldn't be late on deadlines?

I think it's a matter of trust, you give me a work sample and a deadline, and I'll do it as it should be. It also depends on your own schedule tbh.

Show me the deeds.

How about an exercise rather than a tasteless exemple of my previous work? Give me some sentences to translate so you could judge by yourself.

I'm really looking forward to work with you who are reading these lines! ;)

Last edited:

Radendo

Nov 27, 2021
Hello there, are you still available?
You can pm me here, or hit me up on discord
Radendo#1880

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Radendo, you might have better luck crowdsourcing. OP here has quite a number of grammatical, spelling, and vocabulary errors. I'm not saying that their advertisement here is indicative of their work, but there are several free crowdsourcing sites you could ask players to contribute to. They'll host the text of your work (easily ported, think CSVs) and people can either add translations or they can vote to choose the most correct translation offered. Best of all, it's usually free or about the same cost as...OP. Some people don't translate well into the language of others, even with a good understand of vocabulary and grammar. Sometimes attitude and dialect are necessary, otherwise characters may seem entirely the same. Crowdsourcing allows you to “get more than one voice” behind the words, too. Granted, there can be some issues with crowdsourcing it at first, but it might be worth looking into, considering you might not need professional services.

Will Mask, “EngRish” is quite offensive, you know. If you were trying to make a point, you could have done so quite differently.

Last edited:

Will Mask

Oct 28, 2017
Radendo, you might have better luck crowdsourcing. OP here has quite a number of grammatical, spelling, and vocabulary errors. I'm not saying that their advertisement here is indicative of their work, but there are several free crowdsourcing sites you could ask players to contribute to. They'll host the text of your work (easily ported, think CSVs) and people can either add translations or they can vote to choose the most correct translation offered. Best of all, it's usually free or about the same cost as...OP. Some people don't translate well into the language of others, even with a good understand of vocabulary and grammar. Sometimes attitude and dialect are necessary, otherwise characters may seem entirely the same. Crowdsourcing allows you to “get more than one voice” behind the words, too. Granted, there can be some issues with crowdsourcing it at first, but it might be worth looking into, considering you might not need professional services.

Will Mask, “EngRish” is quite offensive, you know. If you were trying to make a point, you could have done so quite differently.
I mostly agree with you. However the real issues with crowdsourcing are first that you'll never have an established proposal, someone will always try to change or down/upgrade what has already been done. There has to be a permanent person who says 'we'll use this.' Second is that it really takes some time for people to answer, if don't ignore your requests. It would take days.

As of what I've read so far, EngRish is mostly used to describe overviews or scenarii written in Russian and badly translated in English through GTranslate.
I'm using this term because many recent releases do not take care of their grammar, syntax and spelling.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I mostly agree with you. However the real issues with crowdsourcing are first that you'll never have an established proposal, someone will always try to change or down/upgrade what has already been done. There has to be a permanent person who says 'we'll use this.' Second is that it really takes some time for people to answer, if don't ignore your requests. It would take days.

As of what I've read so far, EngRish is mostly used to describe overviews or scenarii written in Russian and badly translated in English through GTranslate.
I'm using this term because many recent releases do not take care of their grammar, syntax and spelling.
With best-translation voting, you could make a reasonably good guess as to the community favorite for a translation. In the end, the author can select a translation as they please. It could be managed in a thread, if you didn't want to use a third-party site. With an attachment of all strings in the game to a thread, you could easily get people to add translations or votes from the very people who play the game itself.

Example CSV:
186,EN,How is the coffee?
187,EN,It very good thank.

Example response from a player:
I think a better translation for 187,EN is: “It's very good, thanks.” I see this line has no Swedish translation, here: “Väldigt bra, tack.”
Which then could become:
187,SV,Väldigt bra, tack.

(EN, SV being example language codes used.)

...EngRish is a racist mock against most south-east Asians' (Japanese especially) attempt at using the English letter 'L' when speaking English because the Japanese has no 'L' or 'R', it is more of a rolling 'D' sound. Sometimes it is also used to mock poorly-written English and particularly Russian-to-English translations, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

I'm poly-lingual and speak many languages fluently, myself. I'm not offering to do any translations for people, I'm merely posting to inform.

A simple message at the start of a game stating “<Language> isn't my native language, please feel free to let me know if you think the dialog needs work. Be sure to let me know where. Thanks!”

As a game developer (other types), I prefer uploading CSVs or other translatable files and letting the crowd do it, it leads to natural-sounding voices and unique characters. Best of all, it's free and easy with the way that I do it.

I use an editor in most cases that shows me my preferred language and all the lines of text in my game. I simply export the CSVs and all languages I'm supporting are exported individually as “Game.EN.csv, Game.SV.csv, et cetera.” I can then upload them and let entire people replace the untranslated lines with theirs, then I can import them back into the game selectively (I can approve or disapprove of individual lines).

That kind of behavior has been integrated for quite a while into many engines, such as Unity, Unreal Engine, Ren'Py, and a few others.

Edit: By the way, I do commend your learning English, it is a most difficult language for so very many people to try to learn. Most of the time I do understand what you are talking about, though there are definite gaps here and there. Sometimes there is a sentence I don't understand from you. It would be obvious to most native English-speakers somewhat immediately that you are indeed foreign, but you do very well for someone not native. For the most part, it is much easier to talk with you than some other self-taught people. With all respect meant, Asians in particular have a hard time with English, and vice-versa. It can be quite frustrating...no, teeth-grinding, to try to understand some of them, sadly. You do very well, compared to them. Continue studying. :)

Well-wishing, cheers. :)

Last edited:

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018

cheers ;)
French (in the video), and clearly not understanding how very different his sounds are...perfect example of vowel sounds (less than 110 sounds altogether exist in Japanese, over 8,000 in English!). It's a nice way to advertise language-learning. I also like the banned Dutch commercial...y'know . Seen one? I love the comedy routine.

Have you ever translated Japanese? They don't have so very many words you might commonly expect in English. For example, fart (flatulence). It's just “bad smell air”. It's a highly-contextual language.

Personally, I loved finding out how English fucked up every country's name, or the people's names. Dutch (the people) and The Netherlands... Nederlanders and Nederland. Japan and Japanese (the language) and Japanese (the people)? Nippon, Nihongo, and Nihonjin. Norwegian...Bokmål. Yeah, English is a fucked up language.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elefy