Others Unity Game Dev Journal: Yoraphim

YoraphimDev

Apr 9, 2022
Hi all! Yoraphim Dev here.

Been working on a little project for the past 6 months, called Yoraphim. Think DOL(Degrees of Lewdity) meets LDP(Lust Doll Plus), if you know them. I've always loved the sense of how open it is, that in DOL your actions has far more consequences, where in LDP you see your character change with clothing and statuses.

At this point, most of the core systems are there, NPC's are non existent, and Ill go through that a little more below. But at this point you're able to run around the world, level up your skills, manage your stats, etc. and if youre curious, its all built in Unity form scratch.

Turn based actions and Requirement driven actions
Like DOL, time freezes as you decide what to do next, with everything has a given amount of time till take to complete, and in each are or event your in, you are shown what you're able to do, and some actions that you know about but might not quite have the requirements for. Wanting to get into a store? Break the lock if you're strong enough, or if you know lock picking it might be a better option etc. This can also work against you, really want to bang that hot chick? Well first off you will need to be horny enough.

Pixel Art is for kids, 3D is where its at
In all seriousness, Pixel art is actually great, but it can struggle when it comes to customization. Here's what I mean, you want a shirt, great, you make it. But then you add in a breast slider, not its suddenly 6 different pieces of art you have to make, add in pregnancy, male vs female, height changes, etc, and it just snowballs. 3D art is able to just deal with that alot easier, and then you can add in full animations on top. So like LDP you can always see your character off to the side, but with 3D models wearing the clothes you just brought, with the body you designed playing animations based off on what you're doing: going for run, eating out, jerking off in the shower, you name it.
See the example image for the current UI mockup.

UI.PNG

I have played way too many RPG's and visual novels with machine translations, and I'm glad it exists, but my god. So it will be native English, but if I keep going, got plans to have it all done properly, as the systems for it are already in place.

NPC's
This is where my approach is most different. Every NPC is named, they have goals, they have stats/skills. Its a system called GOAP, the game Fear actually pioneered it. What you do is tell them what they can do, and what goals they have, and they figure it out. If they have money and horny, well then maybe they'll just end up at the brothel, poor and horny, they'll jerk it, but if its been months, their desperate, stupidly horny and see you down an alley, then yeah, its rape time.
This extended to everything they can do as well. they'll eat out when hungry, get jobs for money, etc.
Now this will either go great, be incredibly unbalanced, or just straight up not work, but if what I think is true, then there will be no questlines, instead like Rimworld or most truely open world games, it'll have emergence storylines. That said, I do plan to trickle in story. The world isn't randomly generated, neither are the NPC's so if everyone loves the red head who works at the cafe, I can just add custom dialogue for them in particular, and actions you can take.

Fetishes
So I thought about this one a lot, and finally decided on just adding it all in, and let you deiced what you want in the world. Will it be fully vanilla? Or full of beastiality, rape, and watersports? You just toggle them on/off when ever you want.

Who am I?
I've been a working within the game development industry for around 6 years now, as a programmer, and designer at times. Worked on projects for the Switch and PC that you actually might have played. And I've just been looking for that next Degrees of Lewdity, but decided to go out and try do it myself.
Now my art skills are very basic. So thats where this project will struggle the most. But between commissions so far and planned and what I can get online, I'm happy with where it is.

Now a dev log is something I've just wanted to do for a while, so if you have ideas or questions, feel free to ask. That said, I am a serial lurker, but Ill try my best!

Reactions: TheExordick