Game development full guide

seaweed76

Mar 25, 2024
I want to develop a new game like A Struggle with Sin or Peasant's Quest.
Can someone guide what engine should be used?
where can i find character assets?
how to develop assets?
software list

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
Both are built using RPGM, but an engine like Godot or Unity could do it too. I am not sure about A Struggle with Sin, but Peasant's Quest uses Daz3D models for the detailed assets. The sprites when walking around are probably more generic RPGM assets from Steam or Itch.io mixed with custom art.

I don't know much about RPGM, so searching the forums will probably turn up more useful information like these posts:

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
I recommend you start small and learn the tools before trying to make something big. "Biting more than you can chew", aka trying to do way more than you can realistically accomplish, is a very common cause of project abandonment

Some art assets can be found at OpenGameArt. If you decide to use RPG Maker, it comes with a lot of stuff included so you can make a full game. Pretty much every other engine will require you to use assets from elsewhere.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
My two-cents: stay away from RPGM as a game engine unless you really, really want the top-down jap rpg style experience. While it is relatively simple to do some basic map / battles style game development, it becomes very complex and frustrating as you try to add more interaction (vn style dialogues, cutscenes, images) that is outside the built-in rpgm model.
Again, with the exception of building a basic top-down rpg with the pure jrpg game elements, it is at least as time consuming to create something in rpgm as you would find in any other engine, and the crutch of editor program is not actually that useful in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: papel