Game Funding

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Just curious, what software did you say you preferred? We only started working with Daz a year ago but we've worked hard to shoot around the learning curve.
I pretty much just use Blender for all things 3D. It can do pretty much everything: modeling, sculpting, retopo, unwrapping, rigging/weighting/animating, painting, materials/lighting/rendering and even video editing. A few of those use cases can be done a bit more efficiently in a dedicated package (like ZBrush for some sculpting tasks or Substance Designer for making PBR materials), but in most cases Blender is more than good enough and often quite a bit better than any of the other general 3D design packages out there (I used Maya for about 6-7 years before moving to Blender and I don't miss it one bit).

I focused on the old Blender Internal (BI) renderer and the Blender Game Engine (BGE) for rendering most of the time I've used it over the past ~12 years or so. I'm familiar enough with the Cycles workflow to get by (mostly in preparation for 2.8 and Eevee, the new real-time viewport renderer which mostly uses the same material nodes as Cycles). I haven't messed around much with any of the 3rd party render engine options, so I can't say anything useful about any of those.

I tend to prefer making my own stuff, so I don't bother much with Daz and the like. It runs like ass on my system anyhow - both because this rig is old and decrepit and because I run Linux and Daz lags pretty bad in Wine still for some reason. I'm still trying to feel out how well my system can tolerate PBR materials in Eevee now that Blender 2.8 is in beta. With any luck I will be able to start working in that full time to get my materials set up for export to Godot (my game engine of choice atm). If I still get a bunch of crashes like I do when trying to work on PBR stuff in Cycles, then I will be going back to focusing on BI in 2.79 again, so I can bake out AO, shadows and lights to merge into lightmaps I can use as an overlay on some shadeless models instead, probably with different lightmaps for different times of the day and such.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah i like how they did stuff with daugther for dessert ill probably start by doing my sprite/actor first then do my scene.I want to also use my own morph but it will have to wait since application like zbrush is expensive.Im kind of fed of seing always the same 3d actor in every Adult visual novel made with Daz.Might try blender since its free but hard it had a steep learning curve
I get your points. I am a veteran with 2D programs like Photoshop (back to version 2.0), but a total NooB with 3D rendering. Well, I give myself too little credit in that designing characters in Sims 3 and 4 is really 3D character design. If you limit yourself in Daz 3D to characters on sale on the Daz 3D site, then you are totally right in that you will be using the same characters everyone else is using. However, there are MANY other sites where characters are being created that you can get models. Also, even though you purchase a model from the Daz 3D site, it doesn't mean that your model has to look like them. Look at my very rudimentary work in the "show your Daz 3D skills" forum for examples of what I have done in a very short time period (a week) with Daz 3D and morphs. You can easily take a "stock" 3D model from Daz 3D then modify it to your preferences making it a completely new creation.

Grayman1977

Apr 8, 2018
I get your points. I am a veteran with 2D programs like Photoshop (back to version 2.0), but a total NooB with 3D rendering. Well, I give myself too little credit in that designing characters in Sims 3 and 4 is really 3D character design. If you limit yourself in Daz 3D to characters on sale on the Daz 3D site, then you are totally right in that you will be using the same characters everyone else is using. However, there are MANY other sites where characters are being created that you can get models. Also, even though you purchase a model from the Daz 3D site, it doesn't mean that your model has to look like them. Look at my very rudimentary work in the "show your Daz 3D skills" forum for examples of what I have done in a very short time period (a week) with Daz 3D and morphs. You can easily take a "stock" 3D model from Daz 3D then modify it to your preferences making it a completely new creation.
Yeah indeed this is another option.Ima try to do some sprite tommorow to show what im able to or in a couple of day