• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM Gameplay/Art advice needed.

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
We're currently making a game in RPGmaker MZ and we'd like to ask the community a few questions about their game preference .

We're using a side-view combat system in our game. The question is do players prefer to have combat in their NSFW game or they rather have an option to skip combat and focus on the story.

We're also trying a somewhat different art style than most NSFW games. We aren't sure if that's a good thing...(Examples below .)

Currently 0.1 is planned to release with 4 sex scenes( not fully animated) and the introduction of multiple characters . With combat the game is around 1 hour(Main-story)...Is that enough for 0.1 ?

0.2 is currently being worked on but the art isn't ready yet, should we combine 0.1 and 0.2 and add the art later on?

Also looking for a plug-in that adds a gallery.

Any advice would be appreciated!

example 2.PNG Example 1.PNG

Last edited:

BukoPanda

Dec 23, 2019
We're also trying a somewhat different art style than most NSFW games. We aren't sure if that's a good thing...(Examples below .)
I do not dig the art style but there might be other people who is okay with it, even more so loves it.

The question is do players prefer to have combat in their NSFW game or they rather have an option to skip combat and focus on the story.
If you're making an RPGMaker game I think most people would want the gameplay based on my last thread about what people do most focus on. But if you want to keep the option with the skips I'd recommend adding an options at the start of the game if they want the challenges/combat or not(skip)

With combat the game is around 1 hour(Main-story)...Is that enough for 0.1 ?
For me even 1 or 2 is enough scenes for a short game.

Also looking for a plug-in that adds a gallery.
Are you talking about the options on the menu?
Or is it an item that leads to gallery?
I think you can make it yourself without plugins, unless you're adding some more extras

Reactions: XforU

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
I do not dig the art style but there might be other people who is okay with it, even more so loves it.

If you're making an RPGMaker game I think most people would want the gameplay based on my last thread about what people do most focus on. But if you want to keep the option with the skips I'd recommend adding an options at the start of the game if they want the challenges/combat or not(skip)

For me even 1 or 2 is enough scenes for a short game.

Are you talking about the options on the menu?
Or is it an item that leads to gallery?
I think you can make it yourself without plugins, unless you're adding some more extras
Thank you for the reply!

I'll most likely add an option in that case, something like a difficulty setting ( Peaceful, Normal)

I was looking for a way to add a gallery in the menu that can have all the scenes locked until that part of the game is complete, currently I'm using an NPC in the MCs base that does the same thing but I wasn't sure if its good enough.

BukoPanda

Dec 23, 2019
I was looking for a way to add a gallery in the menu that can have all the scenes locked until that part of the game is complete, currently I'm using an NPC in the MCs base that does the same thing but I wasn't sure if its good enough.
That is good enough for me, you don't really need very fancy gallery but if you want to make it look better then go for it.

Here's what I found through searching
MOGHunter plug-ins are one of the best free plugins you can find, the only con is that all his plugins are officially only explained in portugese.

Sweetmeat

Apr 26, 2022
Yanfly's common event menu is a good way to do the gallery that you want.

This is the MZ version, I haven't used it but I assume it's the same as the MV version.

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Have the courage of your own convictions!

Go ahead and add a skip combat option, or have a combat-free difficulty mode. I guarantee you some players will love it, some will hate it. Personally I'm all for it and I applaud you for thinking outside the box.

There are seamless gameplay solutions too. You can auto-resolve but maybe you lose more health than you would if you played manually. Or you can spend gold to bypass a fight. Or invest in Charisma skill points which means NPCs won't fight you.

As for the 0.1 release, I will always recommend releasing early and updating often. An hour of gameplay is loads - honestly, depressingly, most players will make their minds up in two minutes. If the only thing players are complaining about is that the game is too short, you're living the dream. I'd even argue that your game should ALWAYS be too short - leave your audience wanting more. Satisfied but still a little hungry.

pepette

Game Developer
Feb 20, 2018
First of all, I'll tell you that you have to go for it. Only you can decide when your game is ready (or needs) to be posted.
You'll get some encouraging feedback, you'll get some angry feedback too.
Focus on the first one, only listen to the second one if it's constructive.
You'll also get a number of people complaining that you don't use Ren'py... (which is not part of the constructive criticism)

Concerning the pictures, there are many players who prefer some original 2D drawings to the usual 3D. It gives charm and a unique visual to your game! So go for it!
For your information, it's often the 2D that convinces me to try a "male protagonist" game (I usually only play female MC)

For my part, fights is not the part I prefer in a game. Especially in a NSFW game. It tends to take me out of the story, and I find it often long and repetitive. But I'm a woman and other players will disagree with me. So putting a possibility to skip the fights is a good way to satisfy everyone.

As for the amount of content. Don't be afraid! I've seen games in 0.1 versions that were barely 5min long and had no NSFW scenes. So you're good!
I don't advise you to put the 0.2 part unfinished. If you put this unfinished content in now, it will force players to start a new game in your next update. Many people keep their games from one update to the next.

Good luck with your game.

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
Yanfly's common event menu is a good way to do the gallery that you want.

This is the MZ version, I haven't used it but I assume it's the same as the MV version.
Thank you, I'll check them out!

Have the courage of your own convictions!

Go ahead and add a skip combat option, or have a combat-free difficulty mode. I guarantee you some players will love it, some will hate it. Personally I'm all for it and I applaud you for thinking outside the box.

There are seamless gameplay solutions too. You can auto-resolve but maybe you lose more health than you would if you played manually. Or you can spend gold to bypass a fight. Or invest in Charisma skill points which means NPCs won't fight you.

As for the 0.1 release, I will always recommend releasing early and updating often. An hour of gameplay is loads - honestly, depressingly, most players will make their minds up in two minutes. If the only thing players are complaining about is that the game is too short, you're living the dream. I'd even argue that your game should ALWAYS be too short - leave your audience wanting more. Satisfied but still a little hungry.
Thank you for the reply!
I've added auto-battle as an option and an option to remove combat from NPCs (they will just talk to you).
If someone chooses to play the combat free mode the game will be considerably shorter.

First of all, I'll tell you that you have to go for it. Only you can decide when your game is ready (or needs) to be posted.
You'll get some encouraging feedback, you'll get some angry feedback too.
Focus on the first one, only listen to the second one if it's constructive.
You'll also get a number of people complaining that you don't use Ren'py... (which is not part of the constructive criticism)

Concerning the pictures, there are many players who prefer some original 2D drawings to the usual 3D. It gives charm and a unique visual to your game! So go for it!
For your information, it's often the 2D that convinces me to try a "male protagonist" game (I usually only play female MC)

For my part, fights is not the part I prefer in a game. Especially in a NSFW game. It tends to take me out of the story, and I find it often long and repetitive. But I'm a woman and other players will disagree with me. So putting a possibility to skip the fights is a good way to satisfy everyone.

As for the amount of content. Don't be afraid! I've seen games in 0.1 versions that were barely 5min long and had no NSFW scenes. So you're good!
I don't advise you to put the 0.2 part unfinished. If you put this unfinished content in now, it will force players to start a new game in your next update. Many people keep their games from one update to the next.

Good luck with your game.
Thank you for the info, in that case I'll leave 0.2 for when its ready, I myself get annoyed when I have to replay the entire game to see the new content.