Games Freeze

Shadow Song

Feb 5, 2018
I have a great computer that can run everything so its not hardware, but whenever I play an rpg game on here from one of the RPG Makers. My game will randomly freeze and I will close out and start it up again and get farther and then it will randomly freeze again. rinse repeat.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
This might be placebo effect but I like to use the Large Address Aware program with RPGM games, it seems to cut down on freezing.

LAA allows 32-bit executables to use more than 2GB of RAM

Reactions: Cirro84 and monroe

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I would like to add that that won't fully solve the issue... As far as I know, RPG Maker does not have a garbage collector so every single time you load up a map, a battle, a menu... All those things will pile up until you run out of memory and the game will freeze or crash.

That solution will only extend the time until it crashes or freezes, assuming that you have enough RAM.

Reactions: Cirro84

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It makes sense, as a 32bit application it cannot use more than 4gb ram.
A "solution" would be to simply close the application every once in a while to "manually" clean it and avoid freezing.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
It makes sense, as a 32bit application it cannot use more than 4gb ram.
A "solution" would be to simply close the application every once in a while to "manually" clean it and avoid freezing.
This is pretty much what I do with poorly optomised games.