Getting a pop up python exe.

Deleted member 1610159

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2019
Hello! so i am creating m first game on renpy. Everything was going smoothly, but suddenly when i trid to launcch game it triggers this window then launches the game. There is no problem in game running at all but. this pop up every time I run my game is so annoying. What do i do. please hep. IMG_20210824_233709.jpg

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Difficult to say.

Did you really install RenPy into E:\SOFTWARES\Real\RealUpgrade\htm\drivers\DRIVERS\html box\renpy\renpy-7.4.7-sdk\ ?

Because my first thought is that something in a path called \RealUpgrade\ sounds more like malware than something deliberately installed. drivers makes me think some sort of crap software that says it's "a systerm tuneup" type package.

My first port of call would be to run some anti-malware programs. It's been a while since I actively went searching for malware, but you might want to try any or all of these:
Not sure they are all currently relevant, but it's a starting point.

I'm not saying it IS malware. But a quick google search seems to say it might be. But that's the problem with google... if I expect that to be the answer... then that's the answer I find.

I suppose the easier question is "did you deliberately install something called "RealUpgrade"?" Because if the answer is no, then you probably needs to do a full malware AND anti-virus scan too.

Edit: The other reason my mind went to malware was that some malware works by hooking into a registry entry for file associations. Though the fact you only see it when launching RenPy projects might mean "simple fuckup" rather than actual malware.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Difficult to say.
I confirm that... because I have the same issue and still haven't figured why.

I just know that all exe are totally legit, and that it's path dependent (note, I actually test/devel with the 7.4.4):
If I launch from "L:/devel/all renpy/renpy-4.4.4-sdk/", I don't have the window.
If I launch from "L:/devel/renpy/", that have the exact same version, I have the window.
If I copy all the exe from "L:/devel/all renpy/renpy-4.4.4-sdk/" to "L:/devel/renpy/" (and sub-folders), I have the window.

And, yes, this is a total aberration...

Edit: The other reason my mind went to malware was that some malware works by hooking into a registry entry for file associations. Though the fact you only see it when launching RenPy projects might mean "simple fuckup" rather than actual malware.
I wouldn't exclude directly the malware/virus/worn possibility, since two different causes can lead to the same effect. But, as you can see, my own experience goes for a total fuck-up somewhere.
My guess is an anti-virus related issue. But which one, I don't know.

Reactions: 79flavors

shark_inna_hat

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2018
Some wild speculation:
The Python interpreter comes in two flavours, there's the regular 'python.exe' that opens a console and than there's 'pythonw.exe' that works (sort of) exactly like the former but has no console (and sys.stdout is None). It's kind of popular that stand-alone programs using Python simply ship their own version of Python as part of the installation and some even go and set the system path to point to the interpreter they shipped.

My guess would be that somehow (eg. via use of dark magic) the wrong interpreter is used when you launch the game.
Now I know nothing about using renpy, but if you can execute normal python code in it, here's a simple way to prove me wrong
Python:
import sys
print(sys.executable)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] here's a simple way to prove me wrong
No need for this, it's not shown on OP screenshot, but I have a smaller path, and can tell you that it use the DOS version, not the Windows one.
It's what make me think that it's an anti-virus issue ; it block pythonw.exe on this path for whatever reason, what lead Ren'py to fallback to the use of python.exe. The problem being that it shouldn't do this on its own, and should also be triggered by the same file launched from another path.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Ok, I finally achieved to found a way to tell my anti-virus that pythonw27.exe isn't a threat, without having to create an exception (just in case it would become one in the future).
Therefore, I can confirm that it was the reason of the command windows popup. I now have a SDK that again works as expected.

Reactions: 79flavors