Glass reflection and spotlight conflict

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I have a scene where a character spotlight reflects off the glass doors. I've tried turning off render emitter, but that doesn't work. The only thing that works so far is turning the glass door's opacity down to .001. However that kills all reflection off the glass. Anyone have another way of keeping the spotlight from reflecting?

Thanks,
Chatterbox

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Try to put lower cutout opacity in character spotlight instead of in glass door.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
@Chatterbox - you're fighting the "physically based rendering" nature of iRay. If you want the glass to reflect, it's going to reflect everything - all the light sources, etc. You can use the 'ghost light' trick of lowering the opacity of the emitter when you're dealing with direct lighting (i.e. want the light but don't want to see the light) but that doesn't usually work with reflections. (The "direct" ghost light trick seems to be quirk of iRay that's been preserved because it's useful.) In all likelihood, your only option is going to be to move the spotlight so that it's not in the reflection's field of view.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
In the answer from before I haven't thought that spotlight doesn't have cutout opacity parameter, sorry...

As @Rich commented, you can use ghost lights, or use other lights that you already have and look in their surfaces light and set cutout opacity to 0.0001...

...if you don't have any light to apply this parameter, you can create a light through "plane"; create a primitive "plane", in surfaces add emission changing to any color different from black and set the luminance settings, then set cutout opacity.

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Thanks for the answers guys. I do have the Ghost light kit 1 and 2. Guess it's time for me to learn how to use them.

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
The ghost light is an emissive invisible plane, when you load it, it will have a red-black texture and an arrow pointing the direction of the light. Use the set to fit in the place you want the light.

After the pose is done, apply the preset "IGLK Ghost Setup" and change the emissive session on the surface to control the light intensity.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Does Daz have settings for Index of Refraction for objects? Playing with that could yield results for you. Or you could change the character spotlight so it doesn't show on specular materials, just glossy and diffuse objects.