Good Engine for a Card Collecting Game with 2D animations

Yckanom

Jul 12, 2018
I'm looking for suggestions on a good engine for a card-collecting game with 2d animations. I'll give more details in case they happen to be useful.

I'm an aspiring developer. Here's my experience:

- No experience with coding.
- Able to do 2D art. I'm better with pixel sprites, but I can also do CGs if necessary.
- Getting the hang of 2D animation.
- Already done a few small projects in RPG Maker for practice, but I don't think it would be a good engine for what I've got in mind.

The concept I have in mind is that of a card-collecting game like Cunt Wars, but offline and single player. The units wouldn't be mere cards, though. I actually plan on having some pixel sprite sex animations to make things more alive. The idea is to start small and, once the foundation is laid out, expand the game by adding more cards and systems.

Of course, I greatly prefer engines that do not require coding skills. RPG Maker is great in this aspect, but alas I don't think it's possible to do what I have in mind in RPG Maker. Still, I'd also like to hear about engines that do require some coding skills, just for the case I fail to find a good engine without coding requirements. I mean, I've learned to draw decently from scratch and I'm learning to make simple animations just for the sake of making an adult game, so I believe I might as well spend some time learning basic coding skills, if need be.

Thanks for your attention!

PS: By the way, I don't think I'm picturing something too complex.

I've done a few small games in Twine a long time ago. Twine is perhaps the simplest game engine you can find (if you can even call it an engine, as it's more of a tool than an engine), and is meant for creating text-based HTML games (even without coding experience).

I think Twine is more than able to handle what I envision except for the animations. Take a look at the fine TF Card Transformation, for example.

Last edited:

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
A card collecting / battling game will be deceptively hard! I would recommend Unity but you would need to learn C# and, while I don't mean to discourage you, this project in a new engine with a language you don't understand sounds massively overscoped. Best of luck!

Dec 14, 2020
Unity's your best bet, but you can kinda-sorta make it work in renpy and twine too, but for real-time animations I'd pick unity over them. In either case your lack of coding will hurt you on this. Not to discourage you, but just to give you a heads up. If you feel you want/need to do this, then definitely do it.

Feb 9, 2020
The unreal engine has a visual system for coding the logic of your game called Blueprints which is meant to be used by designers and artists. The objects in your game and various programming elements are like Icons you can connect together by dragging lines between them to input and output points. Creating a script is just a matter of linking the actions you want it to carry out in a sequence. It makes sense visually so you should be able to pick it up fast. The engine has support for about anything you would want to do and the visual quality you get is unmatched. You can build 2d sprite based games, and can use a template to build around. Unity is also a choice that would support what you need, you should take a look at both to see which one seems most comfortable to you. Remember, it is not necessary to master every aspect of any engine or framework in order to use it for something. Focus on the stuff which relates to what you want to do. You will absorb things as you go. It sounds like you have the most important skill to build using an engine like UE4 or Unity which is you are willing to jump in and figure stuff out. Go for it and good luck to you and have fun. -spiritofrabbit

These links take you to the sites for both UE4 (epic) and Unity (unity).

You may want to take a look at this asset template, which is free on the UE4 marketplace...

A Rabbits luck to you...

Last edited:
Reactions: Choo-choo