Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
didn't say anything about how people spend their money, merely 'most people won't work with this system, because it's kinda fucked'.
devs not having a bankroll to make games, doesn't change that.
Okay, but most people don't need to work with this system. Most people aren't going to work with the system you're suggesting either, since it quite frankly doesn't make any sense. The games that run on how Patreon current works is due to people willingly giving those devs their money. Your whole spiel about how it's "fucked" implies that there's some sort of injustice when there really aren't. If you're so offended by all this, just don't play games that aren't completed.

Lerial

Nov 12, 2018
Okay, but most people don't need to work with this system. Most people aren't going to work with the system you're suggesting either, since it quite frankly doesn't make any sense. The games that run on how Patreon current works is due to people willingly giving those devs their money. Your whole spiel about how it's "fucked" implies that there's some sort of injustice when there really aren't. If you're so offended by all this, just don't play games that aren't completed.
it's not like i'm offended, that's kinda a stupid assumption.

the system of, indie devs don't have the money for a project, and people don't really want to pay for games that aren't done, is a 'broken' system - it's not an offended thing...

DjHover

Aug 9, 2022
Maybe these developers should start posting the game when it is already complete, in order to avoid being pirated as much as possible. Because for me as a consumer, doing the math at the time, this game would have cost 180$. Not even Sony triple AAA are worth that much.
One day when the game is truly complete, someone who is part of that 90% will be able to buy it at full price, which will almost certainly happen, and there they will recover what they ''lost''.

P.S.
Sorry for the bad English but it's not my native language.

RNGeusEX

Goodbye Eternity
Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Maybe these developers should start posting the game when it is already complete, in order to avoid being pirated as much as possible. Because for me as a consumer, doing the math at the time, this game would have cost 180$. Not even Sony triple AAA are worth that much.
Okay Mr. Genius, knowing that a background of this level of detail costs about $200, that a sprite with a few outfit variations costs $150, that an animation can cost between $500 and $2000 depending on the complexity and number of characters on it, the development time, the music and all the extras.

During the development of my game, I lived on a salary of $1,500 a month. Now that you're good at math, tell me if it's possible to achieve a game of this finish with such little income, without any extra(like patreon or same thing) funding?

ceremor

Mar 29, 2023
Okay Mr. Genius, knowing that a background of this level of detail costs about $200, that a sprite with a few outfit variations costs $150, that an animation can cost between $500 and $2000 depending on the complexity and number of characters on it, the development time, the music and all the extras.

During the development of my game, I lived on a salary of $1,500 a month. Now that you're good at math, tell me if it's possible to achieve a game of this finish with such little income, without any extra(like patreon or same thing) funding?
hey dev , not hating but for your own mental health i recommend not arguing with people online , you will not change their mind most likely

kengador

Aug 6, 2020
I'm a small youtuber and wanted a simple animated art for my music video,when i looked at the prices of different offerings i just used a random simple picture created with stable diffusion. Its really expensive. I can't even imagine how much a game like eternity would cost paying ppl to animate and draw stuff. If you want good looking art with good animations you need to pump a lot of $$$. Or else it will look like those cheap flash made games and people will lose interest and won't support your project. You'll just be a droplet in the sea of mediocre cheap hentai games everyone forgets about within 2 days. Looking at the updates the quality didn't diminish so they do care about this project. This game has quality, keeping it qualitative the devs need to fork out $$$ and if you as consumer want to keep fapping to quality tits and ass,support rngeus or shut the fuck up and stop complaining about the price or how they decide to do their work. Idiots comparing the price "hurrr mu durr i can buy playstation games with that price" Oranges and apples. rngeus is not a billion dollar company who has a hundred million dollar budget to keep consumer prices low(er). Nor do they have the reach,marketing, or the public to earn money to create such budgets or make profits even.

Last edited:

DjHover

Aug 9, 2022

Sorry but I just have to take my budget into account, the game may have a very high quality (and it's true for this my compliments to your team) but this doesn't mean that it has to cost me that much. If you wanted to do a project like this you should have had a budget to start it and complete it and then sell it for an HONEST price. You can't sell a product like that. However, if you didn't like the Sony example (maybe it was too exaggerated :D) then let's take the example with a book: I'll sell you a page of my book for $5 but don't worry, another one will come to you, one will come out in 3/6 months, would you buy it? Oh and I don't know how many pages my book will have, maybe 10 or even 1000, in the meantime please continue to support me monthly. This is the harsh reality, you complain about piracy (which is EVERYWHERE) without putting yourself in the shoes of those who should actually support you. I hope that you will continue and finish this project of yours, but personally I will not pay until it is 100% completed (obviously as said before at a price that is within the reasonable range).

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Sorry but I just have to take my budget into account, the game may have a very high quality (and it's true for this my compliments to your team) but this doesn't mean that it has to cost me that much. If you wanted to do a project like this you should have had a budget to start it and complete it and then sell it for an HONEST price. You can't sell a product like that. However, if you didn't like the Sony example (maybe it was too exaggerated :D) then let's take the example with a book: I'll sell you a page of my book for $5 but don't worry, another one will come to you, one will come out in 3/6 months, would you buy it? Oh and I don't know how many pages my book will have, maybe 10 or even 1000, in the meantime please continue to support me monthly. This is the harsh reality, you complain about piracy (which is EVERYWHERE) without putting yourself in the shoes of those who should actually support you. I hope that you will continue and finish this project of yours, but personally I will not pay until it is 100% completed (obviously as said before at a price that is within the reasonable range).
The problem is, as the dev that responded to you alluded to, that these games need up front funding. That is... limited... in adult game development as very few are willing to invest in it due to the inherent reputational risk.

So we end up with crowd funded models flourishing. They aren't perfect, they're often abused and there's a fundamental information disparity between buyer and seller than makes scams, failed projects and the like rather common but frankly without this model the vast majority of these games wouldn't get made at all.

Hopefully over time we'll see more investment in these kind of games and the more traditional model will creep in and outcompete these crowdsourced projects, given their inherent capacity for larger teams and management of larger scale projects, but I wouldn't bet on it happening quickly. This model also isn't entirely free of anti-consumer practices designed to nickel and dime people with your budget either, as they'll tend toward the most aggressive monetization strategies possible be it F2P with microtransactions, gacha, content dripped out via DLC etc.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
You're a smart guy, clearly. Tell me, what's stopping you from paying for the game once it's completed, hmm? What's stopping other people? And since you're so good at marketing, pray tell, how do you budget game development? Do you even know how much each individual asset costs off the top of your head? Music, background, the little UI icons, etc. What about the amount of man hours you can put into the game? Do you take extra long by doing it all yourself? How long would it take? Or what if you need someone to fix something you can't predict needs fixing. How do you budget that? Do you know how much freelancers cost per hour? Why don't you put yourself in the shoes of a dev? Maybe it's because you don't know the first thing about game development, let alone budgeting for one?

Man, if only those poor Patreon supporters could stop anytime they want. Better yet, they should find someone they want to support. Oh wait, that's what they're already doing. The harsh reality is that other people aren't you and they understand that game development costs money. They're not paying for a completed product, they're funding the creative endeavor of someone that doesn't have their own million dollar company. Why is this such a hard concept for people to understand? Do you guys really thing people are "buying" one update at a time? You're smart enough to understand that's a stupid idea, so think about it. Why would someone do that then? What could they be thinking, throwing money at someone every month for years?

Last edited:

Lerial

Nov 12, 2018
why do people constantly think that, if you waste like 15 seconds making a post, you must care SUPER hard about it.
i'm not 'offended' just because i pointed out it's not a good system. i mean you yourself essentially pointed it out to a degree, too.

Reactions: torresm and jocoyo

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
why do people constantly think that, if you waste like 15 seconds making a post, you must care SUPER hard about it.
i'm not 'offended' just because i pointed out it's not a good system. i mean you yourself essentially pointed it out to a degree, too.
If you don't "care super hard" about it, why are you replying to the same comment, insisting the same thing? My point was that if it bothers you so much, just avoid it. Talking about what payment models you think works is completely off topic and pointless. I don't know what you expect me to think when you took "15 seconds" to type 7 paragraphs, but you'd be even more of an asshole to start an off topic conversation with a half-assed essay for a topic you don't really care about. You would have been better off just not replying at all than to backpedal this hard, let alone do it twice in less than 24 hours. I didn't care enough to give you a reply the first time, if you couldn't take a hint.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Here's another update from RNGeusEX on just now:

Last news
Here we are: after eight months of development, I've finally had the chance to play the Godot version of the game in a preview. While some elements are more than satisfying, I must face reality and make some difficult decisions.
I thought I could offer you this new version on time, but if you had it in your hands today, the gaming experience would really not be up to par, and an additional ten days of development wouldn't change that.
Understand me well: the version is playable and quite stable, but compared to the Renpy version, the Godot version is not yet there...
I do not wish to present you with a half-finished result, especially after a long wait.
However, don't panic: the release of version 0.8 is still scheduled for this month. Over time, one learns to anticipate problems, and I continued to develop the Renpy version while Selenyhr worked on the Godot version.
Once we finalize a few things, version 0.8 will be delivered to you in about ten days.
We've also noticed with Godot that the game size slightly increases. While this poses no problem on PC, the Android version might suffer, as Android does not allow files larger than 2 GB (this remains possible, but requires a different organization and a bit more time on our side).
I will also make the decision to postpone the release of the game on GOG, as the Godot version is not ready. I do not plan to sell the 0.8 version of Goodbye Eternity on Renpy only to switch game engines in the next update...
Sorry for this bad news... I believed in it until the end, but I cannot and do not want to make you wait any longer, especially you who support this project.
So, to summarize:
  • The 0.8 version on Renpy will arrive in about ten days.
  • The release of the game on Godot is temporarily postponed.
  • The Godot version continues its finishing phase to surpass what Renpy can currently offer. (This will also allow Selenyhr to take a break and avoid burnout.)
Take care, and we'll see you in about ten days' time for the official release of version 0.8.

Echidna SIMP

Dec 25, 2022
Here's another update from RNGeusEX on just now:

Last news
Here we are: after eight months of development, I've finally had the chance to play the Godot version of the game in a preview. While some elements are more than satisfying, I must face reality and make some difficult decisions.
I thought I could offer you this new version on time, but if you had it in your hands today, the gaming experience would really not be up to par, and an additional ten days of development wouldn't change that.
Understand me well: the version is playable and quite stable, but compared to the Renpy version, the Godot version is not yet there...
I do not wish to present you with a half-finished result, especially after a long wait.
However, don't panic: the release of version 0.8 is still scheduled for this month. Over time, one learns to anticipate problems, and I continued to develop the Renpy version while Selenyhr worked on the Godot version.
Once we finalize a few things, version 0.8 will be delivered to you in about ten days.
We've also noticed with Godot that the game size slightly increases. While this poses no problem on PC, the Android version might suffer, as Android does not allow files larger than 2 GB (this remains possible, but requires a different organization and a bit more time on our side).
I will also make the decision to postpone the release of the game on GOG, as the Godot version is not ready. I do not plan to sell the 0.8 version of Goodbye Eternity on Renpy only to switch game engines in the next update...
Sorry for this bad news... I believed in it until the end, but I cannot and do not want to make you wait any longer, especially you who support this project.
So, to summarize:
  • The 0.8 version on Renpy will arrive in about ten days.
  • The release of the game on Godot is temporarily postponed.
  • The Godot version continues its finishing phase to surpass what Renpy can currently offer. (This will also allow Selenyhr to take a break and avoid burnout.)
Take care, and we'll see you in about ten days' time for the official release of version 0.8.
In 10 days: "I have sad news you all, another half year waiting for this update. I can't let you see unfinished work.."
Just so you know, this update should look like GTA 6. 0.7 version took them half year and there was not even 20 min of content. 0.8 is taking another half year. They are taking around $100k from patreon per 6 months. I hope we see Noriko in Ray Tracing ultra for all this time and money it took. And hundreds of hours content to play.

patachoucs

Mar 26, 2020
In 10 days: "I have sad news you all, another half year waiting for this update. I can't let you see unfinished work.."
Just so you know, this update should look like GTA 6. 0.7 version took them half year and there was not even 20 min of content. 0.8 is taking another half year. They are taking around $100k from patreon per 6 months. I hope we see Noriko in Ray Tracing ultra for all this time and money it took. And hundreds of hours content to play.
Such a moronic take.
GTA6 is costing billions (with an S) to develop. 10 years in the making (admittedly first years were probably concept but still).

And you think that a game made by a small team of devs should look like it ? You obviously has no idea what it takes to make a game.

Apr 13, 2018
People be really thinking that the more money you put on someshit it will just magically appear the next day.
Dude 100,000 dollars is a small amount of money, even one anime episode cost 80k+ dollars per episode and ya'll think that they should make a GTA level game just because they got 100k per 6 months??? b*tch this ain't mappa.

What's worse is that this people really be complaining on this site where you can download shit for free and act like they own the developers because other people donate to them.

4.00 star(s) 181 Votes