GPU friendly rooms

• Thread starter Deleted member 1063287
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1063287

Does anyone know of some daz rooms that are passable in terms of looks, but also easy on my gpu (gtx1060_6gb). I downloaded a few rooms, and all of them either take 30mins to render (without any figures), or they outright crash. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be more than happy to hear it.

FapForYourLife

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2017
I own rtx 2060 and it still take too long to render a room without enough light.
After I search all methods and I found out that long time render and grainy image come from lack of light because daz take time to cover all the spot that miss or lack of light so all you need to do is spam light sources or find some good light setting asset.

Reactions: Elementario

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
Does anyone know of some daz rooms that are passable in terms of looks, but also easy on my gpu (gtx1060_6gb). I downloaded a few rooms, and all of them either take 30mins to render (without any figures), or they outright crash. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be more than happy to hear it.
The crashing maybe because your ram's full.
Happens to me a lot and I have been only able to pinpoint it to lack of ram.
The room may have high textures or way too many objects.

Try searching stz, their bedrooms look good and are not that heavy on the machine. (I think I tested a few of those, not sure about the new ones.)

And of course the light, like FapForYourLife said, lighting is really important for rendering. try adding multiple light sources to fill the dark corners (keep them very dim so they fill the darkness just a little and still don't take away from the scene)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As both of the previous people have indicated, lighting is VERY important if you're going to render with iRay. Areas that aren't well lit take a long time to converge, which accounts for the long render times.

There are a few things you can do:
  1. If you're showing a room, and if the camera angle is such that you don't see the ceiling, sometimes removing the ceiling will allow enough exterior light in that the scene will render much more quickly.
  2. You can obviously add spotlights to the scene. Many pre-built rooms don't have spectacular lighting because they try to be too realistic. (i.e. have the lighting only come from lightbulbs.) You can add a spotlight near the ceiling, set it's "spread angle" to 90 degrees or 120 degrees, change it from a point light to a rectangle, set the rectangle to be large (e.g. 50x50cm) and suddenly you've got an overhead light like a florescent light fixture that'll illuminate a big area. Put a number of those in, and your room will be well lit.
  3. If you have dark areas that you need to illuminate, use "ghost lights." Create a primitive plane, set its opacity to 0.000001, and then set its emittence so that it creates light. With the really low opacity, it'll effectively be invisible in the scene, yet the light it produces will illuminate the scene.
Indoor lighting is tricky - there's a whole bunch of people who do nothing but that for movies.

Reactions: Huitieme

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I have a 1060 6GB and the only environment that has given me trouble is the Airport - but that would bring most systems down to their knees. As for 30 minute renders, well, that's something you'll have to get used to with that card. Batch Renderer and overnight rendering is your friend.

Reactions: Nottravis

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Using scene optimizer to reduce texture size, remove bumps from walls as daz asset creators have never seen a smooth wall, delete objects that are not in the camera view. Stay away from any asset that is high poly, spot render the characters in separately, doing that you almost always miss shadows though. I have even used the spot render tool and done the scene in two halves. Also its surprising with the denoiser how many little iterations you can actually get away with on objects as they don't require the same detail as characters. You can start low and and if they look like they will need more you can cancel it, don't save it, and up the iterations and donoiser to match (I just set it one lower) and hit continue on your render.

D

Deleted member 1063287

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try everything mentioned, worst comes to worst, I'l try making a game without the heavy use of backgrounds.

D

Deleted member 1063287

It turns out that a dressed figure uses about 2.5 - 3 gigs of vram, I'm not sure how to create a full scene, other than rendering each figure and background seperately, and then combining them in PS or something.

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
It turns out that a dressed figure uses about 2.5 - 3 gigs of vram, I'm not sure how to create a full scene, other than rendering each figure and background seperately, and then combining them in PS or something.
What, that's a lot.
I had a gtx 750 ti, it had 2 gb and I could still render at least one dressed character in a very low textured environment.
It must be something you are using that's very high poly or high textured.
For example whenever I try to use Orphelia hair, it really increases the usage and slows the render times.
Try changing the hair, clothes, character, etc.
Hope it works.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I started rendering for my game on a 1060. About half of the renders in v0.1 where done before I also got a 1070. I rendered interiors and exteriors (hotel room, cafe, motel, a big apartment, city streets, etc) some with more than 2 people in it on a 1060 only and never had to split anything into a separate background and figures.
Some of the 1060 only renders:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
There are a few things you have to consider when using daz and iray, like texture size and reflective surfaces.
Have a look at the link in my signature if you're interested.

D

Deleted member 1063287

What about ram, or is rendering only using vram?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
So is my 8gigs to low to make games without to much of a hassle?
It can work, there are people using lower specs than you with good results, but I would suggest to get at least 16gb.

D

Deleted member 1063287

First I'm going to use the scene optimizer, cause there are alot of 4096x4096 textures in the environment that I am trying to render.

Reactions: recreation
D

Deleted member 1063287

Okay, the scene optimizer helped alot, the scene that before crashed daz got rendered in 2 minutes. I had to use x16 division, so it looks low rez, but hopefully it will be good after some tweaking.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Okay, the scene optimizer helped alot, the scene that before crashed daz got rendered in 2 minutes. I had to use x16 division, so it looks low rez, but hopefully it will be good after some tweaking.
Ya, Scene Optimizer is a "pick your battles" kind of thing - reduce the things that are close to the camera (or are large) less, and things that are farther away and smaller, more. (Why PA's include 4k by 4k textures on, say, a pencil boggles my mind...)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Here are a couple of options.

You can recreate the shape of whatever room you are using with cube primitives, using a low number of subdivsions, and then use simple shaders or just simply color the cubes. Of course, you'll scale the x, y, and z parameters of your cubes appropriately so that it's more wall shaped and less box shaped. By lowering the number of subdivisions in this way, it can help a small bit with the Iray math, as there's less 'sub surfaces' to reflect off of.

Planes are good for this too, and have less faces, but I like cubes as they give you more edge/surface options, plus you can assign different faces to different texture groups using the Geometry Editor tool in Daz or sending the cube to Hexagon to do things like adding a simple doorway or a window. Just make sure your cube has JUST enough subdivsions where you can delete a couple of faces to create your 'hole' and then use the bridge tool in Hexagon to create the 'inner edges' of said window or doorway. You can also texture interior and exterior walls on the cube separately with different texture groups, say if you want to put two rooms next to each other and have camera shots in both rooms that look into the other room.

Another thing you can TRY is to take an asset piece into Hexagon and decimate it, reducing the number of faces. This can mess with textures though, so you may need to re-map those using the cubic, planar, etc. mapping feature in Hexagon. Decimating can also change the 'shape' of an object depending on which vertices end up getting removed.

You can use Blender too. The nice thing about Hexagon is that it bridges directly with Daz3D, so sending objects back and forth using Hexagon may be a bit more convenient. Hexagon likes to crash occasionally, though, so save your work!

Blender is an awesome program though, so if you can get the hang of it, well it's definitely an option.

Others already mentioned scene optimizer. Shaders are also an interesting option. Sometimes you can just re-texture a wall with a simple shader, one that may or may not have an associated texture map, to simplify the wall/reduce the wall texture size.

I use shaders often to 'refurbish' old Daz assets. The older Daz assets were generally built using lower spec machines, so they can be a bit less resource intensive depending on the assets. Of course, the texture maps are more primitive as well, but modern Iray shaders can really spruce things up. For clothing items as well as walls, etc. assuming you can get the clothing item to autofit reasonably well...

This brings up another interesting point. Sometimes, you can swap out the texture maps for an item of clothing using simpler cloth shaders, which may help on your scene overhead. I do this often enough, especially if I want a different pattern on a shirt, etc. or just want simple color groups.

There ARE indoor HDRIs out there, available for free. These can be a bit more tricky to use, but for 'simpler' scenes, well the HDRI doubles as your lighting source, and can end up with some pretty compelling results, even with 'just' 4K HDRI maps, which I use the most often.

Here's a shot from Enthralled that I did, that mostly uses a HDRI, although I had to add a couple of planes/cubes to 'hide' parts on the left side of the HDRI and the floor that I didn't want to appear in the shot, texturing said wall and floor with suitable shader textures.

Not perfect, but it was good enough for my purposes. Anyways, my point here is to keep your options open, sometimes you can simplify things and still get a good result.

Hope this helps!
;)

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
One other thing. This isn't really room related, but it can help with texture overhead.

There are a few 'mapless' character options out there. Altern8 comes immediately to mind...

This can reduce your render times and memory requirements for your characters, sometimes significantly, Might be worth a look.

There are other similar products out there, and you can also do things like remove some of the maps from characters related to bump maps and such, to reduce complexity. Altern8 seems to work pretty well though, and apparently works on G3 as well as G8... to a point anyways!

Aug 2, 2017
Can you post a render of one of your rooms? I could help you out with trying to optimize it. Lighting is very important but so are the materials and textures sizes in the scene.