Greetings from Nem98

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
Greetings everyone. Glad I found this site. I am in the very early stages of creating my own game/visual novel - more game I guess since there are choices to be made that directly effect the outcome and path to be taken. At any rate, I wanted to ask for some input considering the vast amount of experience. I will start with a couple of questions and see where it goes. If this is not the proper place for this post, my sincerest apologies - please feel free to move to the appropriate area.

The game is styled with the intent of being a voyeuristic/seduction story line with potential for other fetishes - depending on feedback, input from fans and, or course, my own preferences ;)

First question: How important is the artwork to you as a player?
Second question: In two parts,related to the first question - What type of artwork is preferred and what would be considered "unacceptable" from a player perspective?

I appreciate any input and/or suggestions, (I may discard some or all of it but I appreciate it nonetheless). :biggrin:

Reactions: Krull

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
If you are a very descriptive writer who can express the scene well and have lived/done it, then you don't need art.
If you don't have that set of skills (And I do mean both writing skill and having lived the scene), then art is preferred. Personally, I prefer Drawn art that is more "illuminated". If you can't draw but can model, make your models if you can. I don't like stick figures, generic daz models, and art that looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old. :D

Reactions: SISIMEN and Krull

Krull

Retired
GFX Designer
Respected User
Donor
Feb 1, 2017
Hello and welcome!
I prefer the art style from games like , by David Goujard or by The Worst and it fits with the storytelling as well and have a small dose of humor as well , these things are more rare-ish in adult games.

Reactions: SISIMEN

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
Hello and welcome!
I prefer the art style from games like , by David Goujard or by The Worst and it fits with the storytelling as well and have a small dose of humor as well , these things are more rare-ish in adult games.
Great artwork suggestions. I am a passable sketch artist, see uploaded images, but unfortunately not much for inking. hard part is a "migration" from realism to anime style drawings - as you can see by the poor attempt with the facial features.

If you are a very descriptive writer who can express the scene well and have lived/done it, then you don't need art.
If you don't have that set of skills (And I do mean both writing skill and having lived the scene), then art is preferred. Personally, I prefer Drawn art that is more "illuminated". If you can't draw but can model, make your models if you can. I don't like stick figures, generic daz models, and art that looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old. :D
Stick figures are difficult - it's hard to relay emotion :p, but I understand your thoughts on that. I am a decent storyteller so that may have to carry the game unless I suddenly develop a talent with inking or can figure out how to render good models on Blender or Daz3D (nothing generic if I can help it :angel:).

I will mull it over a bit more as I continue to write out the story lines and overall plot structure. Thanks!

Mari-back-1-small.png Tracy-front-1-small.png Gemma-front-1-small.png

Reactions: Krull

Krull

Retired
GFX Designer
Respected User
Donor
Feb 1, 2017
A crafty storytelling with many flavors can be as engaging , there's games out there to prove that also is important to stick to your project and show commitment that helps too.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Great artwork suggestions. I am a passable sketch artist, see uploaded images, but unfortunately not much for inking. hard part is a "migration" from realism to anime style drawings - as you can see by the poor attempt with the facial features.

Stick figures are difficult - it's hard to relay emotion :p, but I understand your thoughts on that. I am a decent storyteller so that may have to carry the game unless I suddenly develop a talent with inking or can figure out how to render good models on Blender or Daz3D (nothing generic if I can help it :angel:).

I will mull it over a bit more as I continue to write out the story lines and overall plot structure. Thanks!

View attachment 8494 View attachment 8495 View attachment 8496
If that's your tracing, it's a good start. If you're not that good at coloring, you can see if someone here can do that. :D