Daz Grey People

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just wondering. I have seen that in a couple of games where the populace is just grey.
Do you just take random character and just render them plain?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
You mean like ? I imagine they just load in a base male or female and select something like the linked. Though, I've more often seen black than gray.

It's just to add some life to the background without having to use VRAM for blurred out background characters/spot rendering other characters in. Though, it hardly looks better than billboards, imo.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

donotouch

Jan 27, 2020
I think he mean something like one girl from Where the Heart Is (don't know what's her name) but it's because someone screw up with skin settings while trying to make her pale.

Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I think he mean something like one girl from Where the Heart Is (don't know what's her name) but it's because someone screw up with skin settings while trying to make her pale.
Oh, this?

Wonder what the story is behind the dev leaving a glaring error in the game like that. Is it relevant to the story, or just an inside joke? I've never played, so I wouldn't know.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Oh, this?

Wonder what the story is behind the dev leaving a glaring error in the game like that. Is it relevant to the story, or just an inside joke? I've never played, so I wouldn't know.
I bet the dev just missed it in final renders then forgot about it. It's amazing the mistakes you make when putting together a batch of renders at 3am with your ass dragging :ROFLMAO:

I've had this problem with some of my renders when i tried to add some skin effect, like pubic hair or maybe a blush/tattoo ... stuff like that. The crappy assets sometimes cover your whole figure with a geoshell that is like a grey or milky transparency added to the skin. It's hard to see on texture shading view, but shows up in the render.

I think the OP is talking about filler characters though. The grey or white ones people put in a scene to make it look populated. Never tried to do that, but I imagine it's just a matter of making a Gen character then lowering the Sub D level and loading some skin mat that is monotone. Something like that. Would probably render super fast. I kinda like how some of the pose icons use the blue and pink figures to differentiate the sexes.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, yes. Fillers. moose_puck. Its what MissFortune showed in an example.
Though, i did stumble over the billboard but did not know what to think of it.
Yes, my main goal was to populate a scene with some people.

The girl from Where the heart is, looks strange indeed. Though i always thought it was intended to look like it.

It takes a lot of time, i think, to create more characters for a scene. Alone. At the same time i want to have to scene look not just populated by two actors alone. For example a train station or a street. I think Inside Jennifer did that. Scenes look just more believable and you feel even more drawn into the scene with no faces because they are all black or grey.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just remove the skin, don't need to get anything.
Yes, that seems logical. You could just color the skin black. I never really thought about it though.

p.s. this is what i did and mean. I have to admit that i use the grey material at the moment.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited: