• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Had an idea for a Dating My Daughter mod/remake, curious about whether anyone else would want this

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
I just had a crazy idea. I'm the type of adult-game player who likes to click around a lot and grind for stats instead of just going through a mostly-linear VN. I really like the art and the main character model of Dating My Daughter, but I'm kinda bored by the gameplay. Now, there's another game called Babysitting Cream (which would likely be banned from this site with extreme prejudice if it wasn't furry). It has a gameplay style which involves clicking around the house and doing actions to generate various positive effects (like making the female character more lewd), which is much more to my liking, but I'm not so much interested in fucking an actual child (even if she does have floppy ears and fur). So I was thinking, what if I did like a frankensteined game that uses the code and mechanics of Babysitting Cream, but uses the images from Dating My Daughter? Would anyone else give a shit about that, or is it just me?

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
linear VN's are boring. I'm always for any game with actual gameplay in it.

BTW, game content is not just one cute model. You'd have to rewrite dialogs, change backgrounds to match with new art style, handcraft all poses\animations. Its almost like making a game from scratch, but you will have 1 less model to look for.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
BTW, game content is not just one cute model. You'd have to rewrite dialogs, change backgrounds to match with new art style, handcraft all poses\animations. Its almost like making a game from scratch, but you will have 1 less model to look for.
Dialogs yes, but in terms of art, Dating My Daughter has fully-rendered scenes (meaning the models, backgrounds and poses are all a single image). It's not like in Witch Trainer, where a static cut-out of the person pops up when they're talking; it's a full depiction of the scene like what would be in a comicbook. The challenge there would be that I'd be constrained by whatever art they already made for the DMD games, but I'm hoping that will be mitigated by the fact that DMD is an epic saga spanning four long chapters, whereas Babysitting Cream only spans one week. Like, I could take 25% of all the official renders that have been made for DMD and still be able to make a game that's as long and expansive as one of the chapters (which are like 3GB each). At which point, it would just be a matter of picking which fraction of the images best fit into this modified framework.

And also, I would hope people will be okay with an attitude of "eh, close enough," at least in the early stages. Like, if you click on the button to go swimming in the backyard pool (because you want to see the girl in a swimsuit), and it shows DMD images from the beach (in her swimsuit), then that's just gonna have to be good enough for the moment. If it seems like the game has legs, then maybe I'll cut the DMD model of the girl in the swimsuit out and put it in front of a different background. Eventually, if I really feel froggy, I might seek out completely new artwork. But at the beginning, I'm just gonna be seeing how many prerendered images I can take from DMD and drop directly into that alternate framework.