Having issues finding an actionscript3 textfield

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
So I've taken it upon myself to start a translation for . It's already partially translated but being the Ranma 1/2 fan I am with some fond memories of Kung Fu Master I figure I should fully translate it. Now I'm already off to a rough start not understanding Japanese one bit other than using a combination of google translate for a terrible english literal translations only to use Jisho to look up the meanings of various kanji to get a more accurate translation but not having a solid foundation in actionscript makes this even harder for me.

So I've been looking through the scripts and I believe it's in the UIcomponents but I have no idea how it's being calculated as theres lots of protected instance variables. Is there a way I can trace back a variable in JPEXS decompiler using defined texts, some other software, or am I simply screwed without the necessary knowledge? This is what I'm currently getting as the textfield that describes each label is too small for the english translation. If I can't figure this out I'll have to compress the translation so it fits within the amount of japanese characters which brings more of potential semantic issues into the mix with the translation so I really want to avoid doing that. Here's what the title screen does currently as shown in the attached gif.
translationissue.gif

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
I've worked with AS3 in the past so I might be able to help. However I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. As I understand it, the problem is that the english translation is too small to fit. And to address this you want to change some of the textfield's properties but you don't know where/how to make those changes?

If you sent me a decrypted .fla I can take a closer look at it.

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Yup it's too small for some areas. Here's the decrypted fla and actionscript.

I was worried I was going to have to put this on hold for a while until I understand actionscript considering if you try and ask questions outside of piracy related forums regarding reverse engineering someones game without asking the author you won't get any answers because of "ethical reasons". Hope you can make sense of it because I'm still lost.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Righto, I've taken a look at the project. It looks like that text element is part of a "MovieClip" asset that's defined in the .fla project file. To be exact, the textfield your having problems with is part of "Symbol 3169" which itself is included in "Symbol 3190" along with other menu assets.

If you're in a position to mess with the .fla directly then you can just modify the textfield using the editor (Search for "Symbol 3169" in the library menu and doubleclick on it to edit). Otherwise if you can only modify the code then this is a big trickier. Directly accessing an element of a MovieClip is kind of awkward, and I think changes made to the textfield would get reset when the MovieClips frame changes (Symbol 3169 has 5 frames each with different text). In this situation I'd recommend just scaling down the whole object. The instance of Symbol 3169 that gets used shows up in _title.as under the variable name "setumei". After line 68 of _title.as you should be able to add the lines "this.setumei.scaleX = 0.70;" and "this.setumei.scaleY = 0.70;" to scale it down (to 70% in this case).

(While I am able to view the contents of the .fla I wasn't able to make the project compile. So I sadly can't guarantee that those changes will work)

Reactions: forbidden101v