VN Ren'Py Hellbound [Development thread]

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
The Book of Desolation: Hellbound

Hey, everyone! My name’s Kevin and I’m the writer for Astoreth Games here to tell you all about our upcoming erotic visual novel: Hellbound.

Story: Hellbound is the story of a young man who meets an untimely demise, freeing him from his dysfunctional family, but landing him in the bowels of the underworld. In death, he discovers his late mother, who had suffered a mysterious disappearance when he was a child, had sold his soul on his behalf to Mamon, the Archfiend of Greed. Followed by Leila, an exile from among Lilith’s Daughters, and chaperoned by the selfish, but strangely loyal Rakshasa Urvasi, he makes his way through the circles of Hell to meet the woman who owns his soul. But along the way, he has a choice to make: Does he join Lucifer’s dark crusade against heaven, or does he defy this bleak fate and attempt to escape from this wretched realm?

Setting: The game takes place in an envisioning of Hell not often used in media, which acknowledges the Canaanite and Mesopotamian influences on Abrahamic Demonology, using the Old Testament as a reference. However, in a more typical fashion, Hell is made up of seven circles, one for each of the deadly sins, each with its own unique punishments, demonic societies, and aesthetic. You can tell I’m proud of this part.

Planned Fetishes: Currently, our storyline contains elements of femdom, mind control (Or just being manipulative. No hypno needed), maledom, voyeurism, many, if not all, of the various jobs, and much more to come.

On the other hand, here’s what I don’t intend to be spending my day on any time soon: NTR or any other variation of cuckoldry, scat, anything resembling pedophilia, and really out there stuff, like sissification, that you’d be best off looking for in a game dedicated to it.

Game Features: Hellbound tries to keep a careful balance between being an H-game and telling a good story, since we want to do both. As such, many of our game mechanics tie into maintaining a harmony between these two things.

Every romanceable character and those who represent a larger faction each have a rapport with you that you can either build or hurt depending on your actions.

While this is rather standard for a game involving choices, the most important consequences of your actions reflect in your own emotional stability. The less stable you are, the more likely you are to hurt your companions. But those with low stability can also be more ruthless and manipulative, earning loyalty from their companions through fear. Those with more stability will have deeper relationships with individual girls, earning loyalty through faith in their allies.

During free roams, few of the many quests available are required and you are free to focus on whichever character’s relationship you wish, but all have quality storylines that ask the player to make ethical decisions that affect the character for the rest of the game.

A journal mechanic will keep track of all your stats, including the next step for a quest, your reputation with each and every girl, and notes on your own character’s state of mind.

Last edited:

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Time to meet the first character - Leila !

Leila is a powerful Daughter of Lilith, also known as a Lilitu, and a pariah of her horde. Being an exile causes her to be less powerful than she once was, which is shown through her small stature and kind of cutesy look. When she does get her powers back, she’ll have far more of an older [step]sister vibe.

Leila is a long term love interest and as such, you probably aren’t gonna get along with her very well at the start of your journey. Given her past, her trust will have to be earned.

Originally I was thinking to make her a bit nicer at the start, which you can still see a little, but the aspects of her I wanted to be less hostile couldn’t logically coexist with her past, so I ended up leaning into her hostile attitude a bit more. So I have good news for people who enjoy being insulted…

Since Leila is one of the very first demons you meet in Hell, I wanted her design to accentuate and represent what we intended to do with our rendition of Hell. We kept a traditional heart-shaped tail and opted for white hair because our resident coding expert is into that. Wish I could say it was some desire to include some aspects of modern day demonic depictions in her design but I think we’d be taking ourselves too seriously at that point. I know I am. Anyways, her clothing is based heavily on old bronze age garments, as well as the gold adornments.
Leila.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Reifon and Lussuria

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey guys, today its me - the coding guy. I'm not as versed with my words as the writer but I'm cool too, I swear.

Here's how the development of the game is going so far -

Writing - We have about 70% of what we want to put in 0.1 version finished. That would be around few hours of gameplay, depending on how fast y'all read.

Coding - Everything so far is working, we have a functioning journal system and a fighting system.

Art - At this moment we are finishing up drawing backgrounds for the prologue. The gameplay for this part is rather short but requires us to draw a lot of assets that we won'tr re-use for some time. But that's no problem since it's neccesary to start up the story and develop the backbone of the plot.

Gameplay - For this part you, the player, will be able to briefly interact three of MC's family members - Your younger sister Stacy, your father (yes, hes alive and not a cuck) Pete, and your bitch of a stempother Karen. Even though their screentime is limited for now I believe each of them show their own personality.

Stacy.png Pete.png Karen_bitch.png
When that's finished, and that should be around the end of the week, we will finally be able to work on designing more cute/hot/sexy girls, I can't wait to show them to you lads.

As always, any feedback or discussion is more than welcome.

Reactions: Lussuria

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey lads and ladettes.
As we keep working, we are a couple drawings away from finishing the prologue.
Here's some of the backgrounds we're been working on.
In order, mc's room, kitchen, and bathroom:
mcroom.png kitchen.png bathroom.png
Wonder what's that on mc's nightstand?

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey guys!
You liked our backgrounds so I have some more of them to show you.

Pete's and Karen's bedroom; I would say it's minimalistic but in reality it's empty.
That emptiness prefectly represents the couple that lives there - They're boring, dull.
karen-pete-bedroom.png

The complete opposite can be said for Stacy.
She decorated her room in her own style and just by looking at it it's clear that someone lives there and what they're like.
Im very happy with that outcome.
stacy-room-day.png

And last but not least we have a background for a shopping center.
The player will spend approx. 5 minutes total in this place but we still aimed to deliver you the highest quality drawing.
clothes shop.png
Till next time!

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Until we get a sprite to do a character intro with Urvasi or something, here's a "fun fact" style thing. It's really short but it's kinda funny.

Yo, it’s the writer again and I wanna put a spotlight on some ironic circumstance that happened as a result of developing this game.
The stability system in the game is almost like a morality system, but I’m hoping it adds more nuance than that. As such, when deciding what actions should increase and decrease stability, I went and read up on several moral philosophers, like Immanuel Kant, Albert Camus, and Soren Kierkegaard.
Additionally, while designing Hell as a setting, I looked into the demonic figures and gods turned demons present in the Old Testament of the Bible.
It came to me just this morning that I’ve spent more time reading religious texts and works about morality for the sake of writing an erotic visual novel than I ever have before in my life.

Reactions: SpitfireBug

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Well, well, well.
We have most of Urvasi done but it would be no fun to just post everything. So, instead, I'll give you the rest of the backgrounds for mc's house and as a bonus you get a little sketch to see what she looks like more-less.

Here's the main corridor of the house, not much more to say.
corridor.png

Here's home gym where the mc spends time when he's pissed off, which is often considering the fact that he's forced to interact with his stepmother on the daily.
gym.png

And lastly, a little utility room. But be careful, there's a lot of plot hidden in this box.
closet.png

Last edited:

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey guys, long time no see.

We are approaching the finish line and the work is keeping us busy af.
But thankfully everything is almost finished, only few backgrounds are missing and then we'll polish everything up and ship it over to you!

But enough of the boring talk - Meet Ethesia; a very cute demon you can protect and care for or bulli around a bit. :p

More official description of her by one and only Kevin -

Ethesia is a Lampad, an Underworld nymph, assigned to serve Leviathan, specifically to pull unsuspecting souls crossing the Styx into the waters to be claimed by Leviathan. She used to be a minor nature goddess of a small lake, who was beloved by her people. She, with the rest of her kind, was cast down along with Lucifer’s fallen angels. She does her job now begrudgingly and in fear of being consumed by Leviathan or one of her serpents. She sometimes helps the Warriors of Styx in rescuing the worthy from an eternal fate.

Ethesia wants, more than anything, to go back to being a nature goddess. Her worshippers were small in number and not very reverent, but she liked the familiarity and enjoyed helping them out. Her natural empathy sets her apart from a lot of Hell’s denizens and indulges in little acts of mercy from time to time.

Ethesia is generally cheerful and friendly to people. She likes learning the stories about all the people she’s supposed to ensure are eternally drowning and, through conversation, occasionally unintentionally helps tormented souls understand what they did wrong and want to become better people. ETHESIA02_01.png

Reactions: Ray Rahu and Reifon

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
The first ring of Hell is an ocean of deathly waters called the Styx, full of demons, serpents, and eternally drowning souls. Ordinarily, any who would enter the waters would alert the Archfiend Leviathan and her hordes instantly. The one exception to this rule are the Charons, creatures of unknown origin who can traverse the Styx by uttering its true name, Tehom, masking themselves and other presences near them from Leviathan. The living, dead, and immortal are incapable of deciphering their speech when they speak. As such, the secret is forever kept.

Some Charon pilot death barges, small reed boats meant for ferrying a few at a time across the Styx. However, others have been contracted to captain Abyssal Arks, massive floating fortresses which house the fallen gods who have slain the Great Serpents of myth who serve Leviathan. Charon.png

Reactions: Ray Rahu and Reifon

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Urvasi
Urvasi is a Rakshasi demon born in the fourth circle. An accident created by the breath of God. After being cast down to Hell, she and her kind found themselves attracted to Mamon’s many riches and swore fealty to the Archfiend. Urvasi has, in the past, been an active dealer on behalf of Mamon to humans and has even impersonated many humans with her shapeshifting abilities. Urvasi has spent over three thousand years making deals with humans and manipulating people.

Urvasi has a competitive relationship with her fellow Rashasi, always trying to see who can get the most souls for the least effort. Think of it like a club of bankers or wall street people. Aside from that, she always remains professional and transactional with everyone she meets.

Urvasi owes complete loyalty to Mamon. While some Rakshasi don’t care much to uphold their fealty as strongly, Urvasi sees her loyalty as a grounding point, as she’s well aware of the dangers of trying to get away with too much. It would hinder her efficiency.

Urvasi wants to acrew wealth and gain power in the hierarchy of Hell, which she believes can be achieved through efficiency and loyalty. This brings her into conflict with Leila, who believes the hierarchy of Hell is bullshit.

Urvasi is a naturally petty and selfish person, though she tries to temper that for the sake of efficiency. She knows that sometimes, giving the benefit of the doubt or being selfless can be used as manipulation to make someone do what she wants. Urvasi likes collecting precious stones and other treasures from the surface. The sight of crossroads makes her feel naturally tired. She has a select few forms that she cycles between with her true form just because she works all the time and likes to pretend to live a different life sometimes.

Urvasi is a shapeshifter first and foremost, but she also has necromantic abilities, which allow her to increase her physical might upon death and call souls she’s claimed to service in order to fight for her. She has enough authority to make contracts freeing tormented souls from their punishment in an instant to recruit them to fight for her.

Urvasi’s true form is that of a Rakshasi’s. She has a lean, athletic build with two sets of arms and saturated brown skin, almost orange, with black tiger-like stripes across it. She has full, red lips with curved fangs protruding from the top jaw and cat-like eyes. She has thick eyebrows and a head of long, wavy black hair, pointy ears and a jewel in the middle of her forehead. She wears a top that covers essentially nothing but her chest under a sash/sari over her torso and a pair of baggy pants tucked into calf-high boots.
urvasi.png

AstorethGames

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
We put out a very detailed post on drawing and designing Urvasi on our