Help a newbie out

BlipBloop333

Mar 6, 2020
Hello everyone! I've been playing adult visual novels for some time now, and find myself wanting to make my own, I looked through a few threds and decided that I would be using Daz/Renpy. My problem lies in not knowing where to actually start. Sure I could just download the programs and "wing it", but I don't want to waste time learning things inefficiently. Would anyone be kind enough to point me into the right direction in terms of learning Daz, and realistically speaking just and how long would it take for me to go from having no experience to actually making a decent visual novel.

PandaLulz

Assets Grabber
Uploader
Aug 18, 2017
This channel is really quite good for learning some of the basics of Daz3D and what it all means, after a fair few of them they all start to gel together and you'll pick it up quite easily.

There are a couple good guides for Daz3D within this very forum too; https://f95zone.to/forums/dev-tools-guides.44/?prefix_id=33 although most are built upon you knowing the basics already.

You can also visit the Asset Releases side of this forum to grab and install asset packs which will help you expand your library and ability to get creative within Daz and information on how to install them can be found here.

Ren'Py is difficult to get into at the very start, I would advise you use the tutorial that is within the Ren'Py SDK as that is quite a helpful bit of documentation... Ren'Py requires that you know the basics of certain coding languages, unless you want to wing it and learn as you go (my approach, cause im dumb). There are a few locations to read more about Ren'Py, such as our guides area but one of the best locations to date is the for the software itself and the that they've put together too.

If you're more a visual type of person, you can watch sLim's videos (creator of The Awakening);

In truth, i've just started a month or two ago and am slowly making progress myself. Ren'Py is my biggest stumbling block, and it's slowing me down a lot. But stick with it, your ability to learn and the time that you can place into this is what is going to answer 'how long will it take' question. Nobody but yourself can define your pace in things.

decolon

Mar 10, 2020
I would start by mapping out you VN and outlining everything about it. Then jumping into renpy and getting to know the language and how to use it etc (this will allow you to revisit your outline and fix anything that will be unfeasible/too much work for a beginner). Lastly I would learn Daz/Blender and the basics of making characters/animations/scenes etc. Finally, after you finish learning everything only then do you start doing your game. Total process could take anywhere betwee 1-6 months depending on your background in the topics you are learning.