Help deciding on a hairstyle

obsessionau

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
So I have a girl in my VN called Alyssa who is a ex exotic dancer who keeps pretty active.
Initially I had selected hair style [#62 on right] however it looks a bit stiff and doesn't flow very nice.
So I decided on another one which I liked [#9 on left] and started to create scenes with that.
mm4.png
I have only just realised that another girl has the EXACT same hair style.

Below are mostly ponytail/updo hair meshes. Some are not very suitable because the hair drapes over the breasts. Others will likely clip in various poses.
However I am wanting the girl to have longer than shoulder length hair that she might wear jogging/exercising.

I actually didn't realise I had so many :( not that it helped in picking something I wasn't already using.

1.png 6.png 11.png 16.png 21.png 26.png 31.png 36.png 41.png 46.png 51.png 56.png 61.png 66.png 71.png 76.png 81.png 86.png 91.png 96.png

Any suggestions from the ones above? (ignore the hair-colour)
Some might have a green tinge... ignore that also, it is part of my quick cropping process that can be fixed.

Ones that are about the right length and similar to what I had in mind are 18 and 65.
Although I quite like 20 and 76.

Last edited:

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
This is going to be a long list, but this is what I would suggest. The character is an ex-dancer, all the ones I know IRL have always taken well care of their hair, it always looks nice. Avoid anything with two pony-tails or braids, this implies youth to the player ( late teens ) and wouldn't fit an ex-dancer. The same goes for the side pony-tail or single braid, implies youth.

If this is a one-sized-fits-all hairstyle for everyday and being active, a pony-tail is a must. No woman is going to go jogging without their hair pulled up, so I would guess any down hairstyle is completely out if you are going with a one-sized-fits-all scenario. I know it's a game, but why not make it emulate real life as much as you can. Of course, you could have two hair styles that would fit together, one for active, one for all the other scenes, the characters don't have to have the same hair through the entire game, but that is up to you.

If you are going to use this hair just for jogging/exercising, I wouldn't go with too complicated of a hairstyle, most women won't spend 30 minutes doing their hair up to go exercise, why when they know they will shower afterwards, unless there other reasons to get dolled up. I think about these things in terms of IRL, just makes the most sense to me.

Down hair styles:
4 8 14 19 32 35 38 ( my favorite ) 41 79 ( only double braid I can see an older woman having ) 83 86 88 89 90

Up hair styles:
19 ( a little messed up, good for the jogging theme ) 42 48 53 59 76 ( is good, but the braid coiled up in the back doesn't say 'jogging' hair to me ) 92 ( another good jogging one ) 86 97 99 ( another good jogging one )

I'm sure this isn't what you are looking for, but it might help you. The main thing is, go with what you want, it's your game, it matters that you like the decision.

obsessionau

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Good point about the braids.

I intend to use a couple of hairstyles. I realise you can't see what they look like from the back (some go down to her bum).

I deliberately avoided most of the down hairstyles (there is probably another 200 of them). I figured I'll go with the one that matches best with the one she uses when exercising as that would limit my choices (length/bangs).

Those messier looks you suggested might actually work really well with the scene that I just did as she also gets roughly man-handled in the park while going for a jog [19].

Thanks for your input, there are a few nice styles there I can feel more comfortable about ruling out due to their impracticality.