Others Help Me, Brave Sir Knight! [R4] [Papel]

3.30 star(s) 4 Votes

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Release 4 is here, boys!!

It certainly took longer than I wanted to (7 damn months, jesus), but it's here, RELEASE 4!!!
  • Brand new Android version! You can download the APK and install* on your phone or tablet!
  • Cumshots! The white, sticky gooey goodness will now fly when you press the Attack button during a sex scene;
  • Added a new enemy, Orc gal, a punk/goth orc with a big axe! She comes with her own sex animations;
  • Both the Kobold and the Orc should have variable pitches for their voices during the sex scenes;
  • Added a small shield that will hover over enemies you can fuck, which also indicates if you have fucked them or not yet;
  • Fucking an enemy for the first time will recover 1 health. If you fuck while at full health you will waste the recovery;
  • Added a "mannequin" to the options menu's Customize and Color tabs, so you can see how your Brave Sir Knight looks like;
  • That FPS problem should be fixed for good this time;
  • Reduced VRAM usage, which should make it playable in lower end phones
* (Android) Please ensure that your device supports OpenGL3. Otherwise, the game will install, but when you run, it will be a black screen

I've also added a shitty placeholder SUPER HIGH QUALITY title card and text about the current release in the main menu. The latter was due to finding my game in one of those sites that throw twenty ads before loading a game proper, so might as well ensure people know where the thing comes from!

If you're seeing touch controls on your game on PC, go to Options -> Graphics tab and slide the Touch Control Opacity slider to the left to make them invisible.

Last edited:

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
An honestly fine and minimal experience. I felt like I lost 20 or so years of age when I booted it up. Feels like a comfy Flash game. Plays like the GBA remake of Mario vs Donkey Kong or such.

Stupidkiller

Jan 12, 2018
Hey man, thanks for the update, I like the addition of orcs. Although here's 3 points that pissed me off and made me quit out of the game:
  • The acceleration is way too slow, it makes platforming and position a gigantic pain in the ass and I don't believe there's a good reason for it. Speed up how fast the knight can start moving and stopping.
  • Enemies staggered out of their attack will still hit you despite not visibly landing a hit
  • Getting hit pushes you back, which is fine, but it does so in the opposite direction YOU'RE FACING, independent from where you're looking. I was looking towards the left at the right edge of a platform when I got hit from behind, only to plummet to my death instead of being pushed further into the platform as one would expect.
Also another annoying bug: If you sexed an orc, her animation will overlay on any kobold you sex afterwards. I list it separately since it isn't one that causes me to get frustrated so much as the other ones. Also I don't think you do any input queuing?

Also a small suggestion would be to make it so when I hit attack towards the end of my attack animation that the game would register the input and follow up an attack the moment I'm allowed to do so, rather than ignoring it. Makes the timing easier on the user. If that's already a thing then disregard that.

Despite all that I look forward to more!

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Hey man, thanks for the update, I like the addition of orcs. Although here's 3 points that pissed me off and made me quit out of the game:
  • The acceleration is way too slow, it makes platforming and position a gigantic pain in the ass and I don't believe there's a good reason for it. Speed up how fast the knight can start moving and stopping.
  • Enemies staggered out of their attack will still hit you despite not visibly landing a hit
  • Getting hit pushes you back, which is fine, but it does so in the opposite direction YOU'RE FACING, independent from where you're looking. I was looking towards the left at the right edge of a platform when I got hit from behind, only to plummet to my death instead of being pushed further into the platform as one would expect.
I might increase the player acceleration, especially as I rework the stages.
I will take a look into that, I guess that's an "old bug" that I forgot about, but I know what could be the problem: the "hit area" not properly deactivating when an enemy enters a "hit" state.

Also another annoying bug: If you sexed an orc, her animation will overlay on any kobold you sex afterwards. I list it separately since it isn't one that causes me to get frustrated so much as the other ones. Also I don't think you do any input queuing?
Shit, dunno how I missed that. Fixed, will reupload asap

Also a small suggestion would be to make it so when I hit attack towards the end of my attack animation that the game would register the input and follow up an attack the moment I'm allowed to do so, rather than ignoring it. Makes the timing easier on the user. If that's already a thing then disregard that.
There's no input queuing as that was not something I considered necessary. I might take a look into that, but no promises.

Reactions: Stupidkiller

Stupidkiller

Jan 12, 2018
There's no input queuing as that was not something I considered necessary. I might take a look into that, but no promises.
Don't worry too much about it mate, it's more of a "nice to have" kind of feature I suggested. If you want to focus on the rest of the game instead I would absolutely understand :)

JustAl

Jan 28, 2022
I will say a strong selling point of this game is immediate innate controller support. While that's easy to work around with programs like Joy2Key, that's an annoyance many don't care for.

Weak points of this game? I prefer to be nice and supportive, so I'll be constructive. Game hobby work isn't easy.

1. This game format is prone to mutual burnout; fast content leads to fast development leads to fleeting player engagement except to get more content. You can make this format work like Angry Birds does. For better or worse, it means having a ton of levels. However there are ways to diversify the format to reduce the speed at which each level feels "spent".

2. A certain lack of options. You move, jump, attack, and grab. I can see you built features into terrain like low points to simulate "ducking" an archer's shots, so you noticed at least one more option.

3. Maybe art's a bit flat. But that's not trivial to fix. Some people would say "use AI". I say follow your instinct. But art is subjective and low in priority, so don't sweat it.

Improvements I can immediately suggest for your game:
  1. Find ways to make content feel more fulfilling. I noticed after level 1 that levels had differing paths. Achievements or items found on the way to collect towards your final rank / score are a way to make the level feel more diverse. A "Time Attack" mode where you only have X amount of time to finish the level, boosted by slaying an enemy or picking up a time clock item is a way to make a short level feel frantic, resulting in multiple replays to learn the level and beat the mode.

2. Figure out cool knightly mechanics that might make a level more fun. An item button and item slot can go a long way. Jump extra-high with a spring, block a necessary hit with an expendable shield, break a wall with a big axe, etc. I say "item" to make it easy to regulate and implement for balance, but such stuff could become permanently part of the knight's kit over time too. See what style works for you.

3. Odd remixes to the basic formula. Modifiers that make enemies move faster and aggro from a farther distance, make the princess start as a werewolf who needs to be cured before she can be carried to the end of the level, have a boss fight that relies on a certain tool, etc.

This experience was nostalgic but perhaps not even 15 minutes long. Really great charm, though poor staying power. And yet maybe I'm just adept at this kind of game, I see others complain about difficulty and think, I likely did the level in 1 or 2 tries and it wasn't bad at all. Fun concept release though, I'd say about 3 or so stars. Felt like 4 to me for the nostalgia.

Reactions: papel
3.30 star(s) 4 Votes