3D-Daz Help with grain using a special render treatment

-Awake-

Apocalypse Lovers
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2021
Hello everybody,

I am speaking to all DAZ 3D professionals present in the area. When I develop the visual part of my game, I have sometime a problem with rendered images with too much graining. Do you have any idea how to fight this? I managed to successfully get ride of the fireflies by increasing the size of my renderings produced with DAZ 3D (in 9000x5063 .png during 15-20 minutes only, then by returning the image to 1920x1080 with GIMP2, Photoshop in jpg).

But I block on certain scenes creating a lot of "grain". I think it's because of the "natural" light but I'm not sure.

See yourself:
3.1.0 - Retour_Wolf_Forest_Scene - Deb Arrive 1B Smile.jpg
3.1.0 - Mansion_Entrance_Dirty_Door_KO_C5_illusion.jpg

And in the following case it's even more intriging since the scene is almost the same, only the position of the light is changing but one image is really grainy, the other is not.

NOT REALLY GRAINY :
3.1 - Neightboor HouseInteriorMain - DarkDeb.jpg
REALLY GRAINY :
3.1 - Neightboor HouseInteriorMain - LightDeb_Up_A.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Yustu

May 22, 2018
Are You sure that the lighter image (2 last examples) really has less grain?
I did compared them and to Me they both have same amount of grain in them, but the perceivable difference is that in lighter version You just perceive more due to the, obviously, more light so the grain in darker one is not so obvious.

Usually there is no simple solution for this issue, and this apply to other software as well, other than increasing render times, more samples less gain obviously.

Anyway just doing 10 sec google search gives some promising results like this one:

MN122

Dec 31, 2021
You need more render samples. You can also light them better, so you need fewer iterations to get your desired convergence level. You can't light them how the world around you is lit. Think like a film director = everything is lit, but in a believable way so it doesn't look artificially lit.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
I second MN122 and say, use more overall scene brightness. As long as you don't blow out highlights then you can use GIMP/PS/LR/etc. to lower the overall brightness (if you want a dark scene) or to mask off certain aspects of the scene then adjust, to get the look you are trying to accomplish.

If you are a DAZ master, you can also render canvases and composite the images outside of DAZ.