Help with Steam Games Unavailable in Germany

WakkoYakko

Dec 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me out.
Usually, I am a silent reader in this forum, but today I have a request that I hope is allowed.

I'm looking for certain games on Steam that unfortunately cannot be purchased in Germany due to local regulations.
Specifically, I'm interested in buying Flipwitch.

Hoping to find someone who can gift these games to me; of course, I will cover all the costs.

It’s frustrating not being able to access these games, especially because it leaves me with no option other than to pirate them.
In most cases, you can't even buy the Steam key for adult-themed games from key stores.
If anyone has experience with this situation or is willing to help, I would be extremely grateful.

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
You could contact the developer of said game and explain him your situation with the geo-lock from steam and you sending him the money for his game via an alternative payment method and him sending you a steam key in response.

OR

create a new account (in case you get banned for breaking steams ToS) through a VPN and locate the store in a country that is not blocked from adult content.

Last edited:

WakkoYakko

Dec 27, 2018
You could contact the developer of said game and explain him your situation with the geo-lock from steam and you sending him the money for his game via an alternative payment method and him sending you a steam key in response.

OR

create a new account (in case you get banned for breaking steams ToS) through a VPN and locate the store in a country that is not blocked from adult content.
I will definitely try to contact the developer and explain my situation.

Hopefully, they will be willing to help out.

However, I wanted to mention that it’s no longer possible to use an account located in a foreign country unless you have a payment method with a registered address in that country.

This makes it quite challenging to use the VPN method you suggested.

• Wow
Reactions: Envoye

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
Ah, okay. My info regarding this was from early '23. (y)

Advent Games

Living Together! with Imouto
Game Developer
Jun 6, 2023
You can still use prepaid credit cards, right? That in combination with a VPN that is close to Germany but isn't completely cucked by censors, like Belgium, Netherlands, France, might work.

WakkoYakko

Dec 27, 2018
You can still use prepaid credit cards, right? That in combination with a VPN that is close to Germany but isn't completely cucked by censors, like Belgium, Netherlands, France, might work.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve actually tried that with an Austrian account.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any payment method that I can organize from Germany that works.
It seems Steam has gotten better at preventing location changes over the past year.
I suspect their main motivation is to prevent users from taking advantage of lower prices in countries with weaker currencies.

To be on the safe side, I even booked a dedicated Austrian IP via NordVPN, but still had no luck.
Here's a screenshot of my attempt to gift Flipwitch using an Austrian account with Steam credit:

1716501524544.png

Translation:
There was an error with a recent Steam purchase.
We have saved your cart (including discounts) for 72 hours so you can attempt your purchase again.

Try Again
This cart expires on May 26th at 14:34 CEST.

Gift Purchases
FlipWitch: Forbidden Sex Hex

• Invoice: 3774657968365463074
  • Order date: May 23, 2024 at 14:34 CEST
  • Payment method: Steam Wallet

As you can see, it didn't work out.

Another option would be to create another account with an active VPN, but I’d prefer to play with my primary account.
If anyone is willing to gift me the game in exchange for a PayPal payment, that would be great.

Anyway, I have contacted the developer and am waiting for their response.

In the past, I had a similar issue with Fear & Hunger.
Many German customers bombarded the developers on Itch.io with requests for Steam Keys, and understandably, they stopped responding.

Fingers crossed for a solution.

Reactions: Envoye