Unity Honey Select Renpy Maps/Environments How to

VN Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2019
Hi

I'm trying to develop a Honey Select Renpy game after thoroughly enjoying Waifu Academy and Harem Hotel.

One of the troubles i'm running into is maps/environment. Did the creators make custom environments/maps as their environments, or is there a treasure trove out there hiding under my nose? Did a lot of googling searching but it did not bear fruit. If the creators did create the environments themselves, can someone shed some light for me on how to create custom environments?

Ive got the FR 3.5 Honey Select and have approx 10 maps to play with but its no where near enough to create a VN, eg (train, tennis court, servo, dojo, school, home, zaibatsu head quarters, gym scene to name just a few for Waifu Academy). How did they manage to make these environments?

Many thanks in advance

Reactions: Lgn332

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
This post is tagged as Unity, but specifically mentions RenPy... so I'll assume RenPy.

You're almost certainly looking for imagebutton. Documentation .
A quick search of F95 will get you all this.

Essentially, you use a picture with a transparent background as a template for what parts of the picture can be clicked and which parts can't. If this "idle" picture is just a cut-out version of the background image, the player won't notice where the two overlap. Usually there's also a "hover" picture which highlights that area when the mouse moves over it (either increased brightness or contrast, a color tint and/or some sort of glowing border). You add an idle & hover image for each clickable area of the screen, with an action that should be performed when the player clicks there.

I posted some more details in this thread.

There are other explanations if you read some of those other "quick search" results.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well, I think this is actually more about creating custom environments in HS, but whatever the case, the tag is wrong xD

Anyway, there are items like walls, windows, furniture, even exterior stuff, etc. in Studio Neo, you can use all of them to create your own, unique custom environment.
There are also mods that add new maps to studio neo, some of them are really nice, others not so much, but these mods will of course be used by other people as well.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Damn. You're right recreation. My bad.
I guess when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail... or in this case, an imagemap.

I think the Unity tag is due to Honey Select being a Unity product.

In which case, an answer might be the Honey Select compilation - which I believe adds a lot of content and assets not normally available. Although the OP might already have that, based on their message. So maybe it's not as extensive as I'm assuming. Wishful thinking though... maybe it has a lot more environments and such that meets their needs.