2.70 star(s) 15 Votes

International

Dec 9, 2019
This update is mostly focused on finally fleshing out a bit of the underground waterway (for the first visit at least) and adding to the new recollections room, which will be in progress for quite a while as each scene takes me hours to transfer
I gotta say, this is a huge sign that you're doing something wrong. I would be ripping some other RPGM games apart to see how they do recollection rooms, and probably refactoring how the scenes are done. Because I guarantee that's not how other games do it.

Grats and good luck with the Steam release!

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
I gotta say, this is a huge sign that you're doing something wrong. I would be ripping some other RPGM games apart to see how they do recollection rooms, and probably refactoring how the scenes are done. Because I guarantee that's not how other games do it.

Grats and good luck with the Steam release!
It's more that it's been 2 years since I implemented a lot of the scenes, and many of them are integrated into game mechanics in a way that I don't think many other games are.

And yes, I'm almost certainly doing things in ways I shouldn't be. I realized that a while ago when the class array was starting to cause save-file bloat because it was saving descriptions and text and names and stuff as well as grades to the save file.

Refactoring is slowly being done, but it's going to take a while.

As for the scenes themselves....

I have to go through and remove impregnation data, determine how to display alternate animations/forms (I'm mostly just using current character state, so recollection scenes will change if you're pregnant or not!) stripping out time-setting data, relationship values, compensation/minigame data (for stuff like imp scenes), etc etc.

This would be easy if it was all streamlined in the same way (like it would make so much sense for me to have done all the gameplay mechanics after the scene!, instead of midway through animation and text code!) but it's not.

I don't want the recollection scenes to be messing with gameplay state, and in some cases even finding the dang thing can take a while. (did you know the nurse ptj's scenes are actually coded into a common event that's called during the part time job.... from an array? I do now, and have no idea what I was thinking a year ago!)

It might be a slight exaggeration to say each one takes hours, but many of them are driving me crazy. Scenes in part time jobs or tied to clubs/ heavy gameplay elements are very difficult, while stuff like the prostitution into scenes were relatively light and easy.

Reactions: Overlord111!
Aug 22, 2020
I'd love to get into the game but my god does it seem daunting lol. Has somebody written a step-by-step beginner's walkthrough at some point? I feel the game takes too much effort to play blind for me

Jul 21, 2021
V0.46.0 Release!
View attachment 3553171

This update is mostly focused on finally fleshing out a bit of the underground waterway (for the first visit at least) and adding to the new recollections room, which will be in progress for quite a while as each scene takes me hours to transfer

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you like what you see consider supporting the game on patreon here for early access to development builds!

We also have a subscribestar now, after patreon's latest.... decisions!

You can also check it out for free on itch.io HERE

Or download links here

- -

And now for a special announcement! Horny Mage Chronicles is coming soon to a steam near you!

Set in the far? future of Horny Mage Academy, Horny Mage Chronicles takes place after graduation, and from a new perspective, a poor farmer who lost everything to an evil succubi who attacked his home.

Join Anya, Olivia, Eillana and more as they train this young man in the mysterious art of sex magic so he can save his new home!

View attachment 3553182

Interested? Wishlist it on steam now to get updates for its release!

If you don't want to wait, development builds are available on both patreon/subscribestar and Itch.io!

Instantly LOVE that spruced-up OliviaXAnya slime h-scene, looking forward to when she voluntarily gets knocked-up by them so that she can see why it's so wonderful... <3 <3 (Again though, if only slime girl-births were possible, but i'm content with the next best thing being the slimes of course. :) )

Reactions: hgameartman

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
V0.46.0 Release!
View attachment 3553171

If you like what you see consider supporting the game on patreon here for early access to development builds!

We also have a subscribestar now, after patreon's latest.... decisions!

You can also check it out for free on itch.io HERE

Or download links here

- -

And now for a special announcement! Horny Mage Chronicles is coming soon to a steam near you!

Set in the far? future of Horny Mage Academy, Horny Mage Chronicles takes place after graduation, and from a new perspective, a poor farmer who lost everything to an evil succubi who attacked his home.

Join Anya, Olivia, Eillana and more as they train this young man in the mysterious art of sex magic so he can save his new home!

View attachment 3553182

Interested? Wishlist it on steam now to get updates for its release!

If you don't want to wait, development builds are available on both patreon/subscribestar and Itch.io!

Sounds good. Just so you get it right in the new game, "succubi" is the plural; if there's only one she's a succubus. (Yes, I'm a pedant!)

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Please full save fill / cheat room or recollection room fool unlock events
The debug tool, found in a cabinet in the upper-right left corner of the tavern in the village, has a debug unlock cheat in it for the recollections room.

There's only a handful of scenes available so far in the recollections room though, as I'm going back through and adding more each update and it's taking a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead_Skull

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Mar 2, 2019
Horny Mage Academy: Dark Tower [v0.46] [HGameArtMan] - Compressed

Use at your own risk.

Win [223 MB]
- - -

Reactions: mastergig30

droploads

Sep 29, 2023
upper left*
hope that helps someone.

The debug tool, found in a cabinet in the upper-right corner of the tavern in the village, has a debug unlock cheat in it for the recollections room.

There's only a handful of scenes available so far in the recollections room though, as I'm going back through and adding more each update and it's taking a while.

Star_glider

Jun 14, 2018
I'd love to get into the game but my god does it seem daunting lol. Has somebody written a step-by-step beginner's walkthrough at some point? I feel the game takes too much effort to play blind for me
You get an in-game tutorial for the first few days, and there's some tips on the top post.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Who to find the recollections room
Recollection room is located in the homeroom classroom on the third floor, directly north of the main stairs.
After a certain point the game should unlock the ability to attend homeroom in the morning and warp directly there from class selection each morning, I think at some point in the second semester.

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
I think the SubscribeStar link for v47.0 is missing?
Thanks for letting me know, I'll get it fixed up right now!

At some point auto-save and my save were broken by game. Somebody meet such bug? Any advice(except restart game)?
View attachment 3559630
I'm somewhat baffled by that one, as the autosave happens each night when nothing else should possibly be triggering anything. If you can send me the save file I'll look into it and see what I can do to fix it, but I'm not sure I will be able to recover the data unfortunately as it's a strange error code that seems be implying that the save-state room corrupted somehow I think (it's the only map that would be loading/updating at the time, and it's a hidden map that only is used for a moment during saving/loading to make sure no other scripts are running that could corrupt the save file) Or.. it had a problem with an array in the save-state file.

Did you have any saves that weren't autosave files? I think the autosave broke on me before when it didn't have any manual saves made before the autosave activated for some reason.... I'll have to look into it more, I thought I had fixed that issue a long time ago.

Last edited:

Ilya11111

Jul 1, 2018
Thanks for letting me know, I'll get it fixed up right now!

I'm somewhat baffled by that one, as the autosave happens each night when nothing else should possibly be triggering anything. If you can send me the save file I'll look into it and see what I can do to fix it, but I'm not sure I will be able to recover the data unfortunately as it's a strange error code that seems be implying that the save-state room corrupted somehow I think (it's the only map that would be loading/updating at the time, and it's a hidden map that only is used for a moment during saving/loading to make sure no other scripts are running that could corrupt the save file) Or.. it had a problem with an array in the save-state file.

Did you have any saves that weren't autosave files? I think the autosave broke on me before when it didn't have any manual saves made before the autosave activated for some reason.... I'll have to look into it more, I thought I had fixed that issue a long time ago.
Here my saves(broken saves is save1 and save21)

Star_glider

Jun 14, 2018
Okay, first section is things to consider adding to the "tips" spoiler on the top post:
  • The school IS big, but like it says in the intro, you do get used to it.
  • At first, the game gives you options to lead you around - just follow the options to get a better idea of what's going on.
  • You can collect research for more than one class, using just one timeslot. To know which classes you need to collect research from, you can attend class sessions until that class indicates you should do research, then attend different classes. Once you have reached the "do this research" point in each class (or finished all the sessions in a class), THEN collect that research all at once.
  • The game auto-saves each morning (even though it doesn't tell you about it). That autosave fills the last save slot.
  • The Gardening Club takes time slots. In the first semester, you need those time slots for your part time job. So despite the tutorial wanting you to take it, you should probably wait until the second semester at least. To get the herbs you need for Semester 1, you can simply pick them in the courtyard (one location is available there, each day)
Next are the bugs I found (v47.0) on a new-start playthrough, through 4 semesters:
  • Anya, upon arriving at "Mana Manipulation" for the first time: "And here we are... Classroom 1-2." - except it's actually room 2-2.
  • When gaining the Blessing of Pleasure, at the point where "You sneak a glance at your stomach...", the graphic shows the glowing mark in full despite being partially covered by her right hand (and in prostitution scenes at least, it even shows through her clothing). Nor is the mark angled properly to actually be on her.
  • The "Strange Noises" sidequest makes no mention of it taking a timeslot to do. Players might be turned off of this due to that requirement, as it's not mentioned anywhere that there's money to be made on this path.
  • The tunnels, there's a switch you have to pull a boulder onto. This part is fine; when you do that, the gate opens. The problem is that you still can't move north. As a workaround, you can move west to the next screen, then back east, and then you can move north.
  • When the slimes catch you in the tunnels, the room changes.
  • First prostitution job, the dwarf (in my case) wanted to see me "tonight" but when I accepted it immediately did the deed, and advanced from morning (the time it happened) to afternoon.
  • Going for the Nurse's Aid PTJ requires a dozen or so choir sessions to get 1 WIL, and early completion of Mana Manipulation 1, and then the Nurse gives you a book to study from. Consequently, I wasn't able to make the 2000 gold in Semester 1, even with a prostitution job. My suggestion is to provide a WIL book in the library to save time.
  • Checking my status at the end of Semester 1, it says "Corrupt 5/100, Benevolence 4/100" and does not mention purity. When I check out the "other" or "body" page then go back to "stats", it then says "Pure 16/100, Benevolence 4/100" but does not mention corruption.
  • The image for slime birth doesn't include the mark of purity on her (when she has that blessing, that is).
  • The ESC key doesn't back out to the previous menu (or close the menu entirely), as per expected behavior. Instead it selects the highlighted option.
  • The wiki isn't working (not a game bug, but still).
  • Coming off of a prostitution session, if you get another immediately after, it skips it. This has since happened after other events, too.
  • In Status -> Other, the misc. effects descriptions trail off the window edge.
  • By default, X is "menu" but it's also available as a spell slot.
  • Next to the swordsmanship classroom is a training room. The door is on the wall from the training room to the hall, but there's no indication it's there - you have to run along the wall to get inside.
Next are improvement suggestions:
  • Vinyea should automatically take you to the choir room, but then mention that you can leave and explore rather than participate. This helps the player know where the choir room is.
  • There should be an option to increase the text display speed to instant.
  • When selecting the "Nurse's Aid Work" job, it should send you to the nurse even if you don't have the willpower - and then the nurse can tell you how to get more willpower.
  • In the first semester, you don't earn much money in a time period, so every time period counts. This means reading the book "Time Organizer" is actually a waste of time. I would reccomend instead automatically giving the Time Organizer key item for the first semester.
  • The "safe research" option would be better if it told you how many books you can collect, before you choose it. Also, if you're selecting a romance book as your last book, you don't need the menu option to keep researching.
And, a question:
  • What does church volunteering do (that choir practice doesn't), besides open up one particular H scene? Why would I choose volunteering over choir, especially when choir provides more purity?
Whew that's a lot, lol

Reactions: xanon515x

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
Whew that's a lot, lol
Thanks for all of these, a lot of great suggestions and bug reports here!

There was originally a lot more planned with church and corrupt church, and still is. Originally the vollenteering was to open up a cute ptj that involved getting higher purity and then culminating in getting a cute nun outfit and some fun scenes!

It's all still planned but I realized I had to work on other areas first before returning to the churches as everything was half implemented and needed a lot more work, so it might be a while as I still have some work to do on ui for skill selection, map screens, class selection, and more, as well as reworking combat and dungeons and starting and continuing the main storyline through redoing the dark tower as well.

2.70 star(s) 15 Votes