House assets

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Do mind that the assets here on F95 are often not free, they are pirated.
So if you use them in a game, you have to get a license, even if you give the game away for free.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Do mind that the assets here on F95 are often not free, they are pirated.
So if you use them in a game, you have to get a license, even if you give the game away for free.
In theory ... yes.
Morally, it's definitely right too.
In practice ... the chances of anyone proving that the renders were created from pirated assets are zero.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
In theory ... yes.
Morally, it's definitely right too.
In practice ... the chances of anyone proving that the renders were created from pirated assets are zero.
Absolutely not - if you're asked by the rights holder to provide the proof of licensing.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Absolutely not - if you're asked by the rights holder to provide the proof of licensing.
The chance that happens is pretty much 0. Besides the renders you make are your property (That's what Daz license info says), so you aren't even obligated to answer them.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
The chance that happens is pretty much 0. Besides the renders you make are your property (That's what Daz license info says), so you aren't even obligated to answer them.
If you're monetising, there are steps asset creators can take to make life a bit difficult for you if you're suspected of having not paid for assets and ignore them. The chances that they recognise you're using their assets and may not have paid is indeed low though, particularly for popular assets that many people may have bought. I'd say you only really need to be worried when using newer assets that haven't sold much yet. As a rule of thumb, I'd say it's a good idea if you're making money to retroactively purchase licenses with some of that money. If you're not making money, it's not really worth their effort to try and get anything from you imo.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
If you're monetising, there are steps asset creators can take to make life a bit difficult for you if you're suspected of having not paid for assets and ignore them. The chances that they recognise you're using their assets and may not have paid is indeed low though, particularly for popular assets that many people may have bought. I'd say you only really need to be worried when using newer assets that haven't sold much yet. As a rule of thumb, I'd say it's a good idea if you're making money to retroactively purchase licenses with some of that money. If you're not making money, it's not really worth their effort to try and get anything from you imo.
Ow i agree, if you are making money its only fair if you buy the assets.

But the creators cant do anything about you using pirated assets. They dont know who their buyers are, and i highly doubt DAZ would give away that information to them. Even if they would accuse you of using pirated assets (which has never happened on a member here so far i know), they got no proof you didnt bought them. What are they going to do with no proof if you just ignore them?

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Oh yeah, I was talking 3d games with the meshes used in the actual release. That is where you may be asked to provide proof of licensing.

Renders are "sort-of-okay".

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Ow i agree, if you are making money its only fair if you buy the assets.

But the creators cant do anything about you using pirated assets. They dont know who their buyers are, and i highly doubt DAZ would give away that information to them. Even if they would accuse you of using pirated assets (which has never happened on a member here so far i know), they got no proof you didnt bought them. What are they going to do with no proof if you just ignore them?
It might not have happened here, but I'm a part of several dev communities and it certainly does happen.
They don't need proof to report you to any storefronts or Patreon etc if and after you ignore them, it then becomes the dev's responsibility to provide proof because a storefront isn't going to take you at your word if they're potentially hosting anything breaching copyrights etc. They don't want the potential shitstorm turning onto them.
But like I said, it's unlikely an asset creator is going to go actively looking for pirates or be aware of if you have a license unless they've barely sold anything. My point was more about how they can actually do something and how ignoring them isn't a solution if they do happen to find and accuse you.
But we've gotten a bit off-topic here. This has come up in plenty of other places on the forum, we don't need to rehash it here again. Especially if nobody is having any relevant issues recently.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Let's say the creator created a model house and knows that the product was bought by 100 customers. As far as I know, DAZ only gives creators total numbers, not a list of customers who have bought the product.
From the creator's point of view, you are no more suspicious than anyone else who uses the house in their renders. And even if he suspects you, your Daz account may have a completely different name than Patreon accouount, you could hire someone to create Renders for you, and you have absolutely zero obligation to provide any response to the creator.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Hoo boy, I hope you guys aren't as unlucky as people I actually know that have been hit. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or persuade anyone that you can and will definitely get into trouble, but I do think it's irresponsible to give people the impression that they can get away with it without risk. There is a risk and maybe it's low, but it is there, and they can do something if you somehow get onto their radar and raise suspicion.
I'm not going to try and dissuade anyone from piracy. I know where I'm at. But don't be so stupid as to think you're invincible. Know there's a risk and accept that if you're gonna do it.
That's all I'm gonna say on the matter.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Hoo boy, I hope you guys aren't as unlucky as people I actually know that have been hit. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or persuade anyone that you can and will definitely get into trouble, but I do think it's irresponsible to give people the impression that they can get away with it without risk. There is a risk and maybe it's low, but it is there, and they can do something if you somehow get onto their radar and raise suspicion.
I'm not going to try and dissuade anyone from piracy. I know where I'm at. But don't be so stupid as to think you're invincible. Know there's a risk and accept that if you're gonna do it.
That's all I'm gonna say on the matter.
Do you know of any real cases where someone has been hit for using pirated Daz products in renders, or was it something else? I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but I can hardly imagine how it could work.
The only problematic case I know was about using Honey Select art in a game, but that's a different situation. In the end the guy got out of trouble because the only one who complained was FAKKU,
who has rights only to Honey Select unlimited, which is not the product used by the developer.
And it was not about piracy, but about whether it is possible to use Honey Select to create renders used in games.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Do you know of any real cases where someone has been hit for using pirated Daz products in renders, or was it something else? I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but I can hardly imagine how it could work.
The only problematic case I know was about using Honey Select art in a game, but that's a different situation. In the end the guy got out of trouble because the only one who complained was FAKKU,
who has rights only to Honey Select unlimited, which is not the product used by the developer.
And it was not about piracy, but about whether it is possible to use Honey Select to create renders used in games.
Yes, at least 1 case of still renders using Daz models, non-ero content. Though admittedly, most instances I've seen involving Daz assets have been in 3D games, again all non-ero.

I do believe for the most part people around here are flying under the radar to an extent. Ero content doesn't easily get as widespread attention that non-ero can. My concern here is with telling people they won't get caught like it's a certainty. I just want people to know and understand the risk isn't zero. I feel like that should be common sense for people that frequent pirate forums.

I am getting bored with retreading that point though, I was hoping that I could leave it at my last comment. This thread is supposed to be about house assets and where to find them.

One last point I'd like to reiterate: if you're not monetizing, there's really not a lot that can happen to you if you do get caught. So if you're starting out then have at 'em.
If you do monetize and successfully then I do think it's worth the effort of retroactively purchasing assets to cover your ass.
It's up to you to weigh up if it's worth it.

Last edited:

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Yes, at least 1 case of still renders using Daz models, non-ero content. Though admittedly, most instances I've seen involving Daz assets have been in 3D games, again all non-ero.

I do believe for the most part people around here are flying under the radar to an extent. Ero content doesn't get as widespread attention that non-ero can. My concern here is with telling people they won't get caught like it's a certainty. I just want people to know and understand the risk isn't zero. I feel like that should be common sense for people that frequent pirate forums.

I am getting bored with retreading that point though, I was hoping that I could leave it at my last comment. This thread is supposed to be about house assets and where to find them.

One last point of reiteration. If you're not monetizing, there's really not a lot that can happen to you if you do get caught. So if you're starting out then have at 'em.
If you do monetize and successfully then I do think it's worth the effort of retroactively purchasing assets to cover your ass.
It's up to you to weigh up if it's worth it.
Maybe it's a bit OT, but I'm still wondering how anyone can recognize pirated assets, such as a house, when they only see renders. I believe you may have a problem using assets that are for non-commercial use only. But all the assets from the DAZ store allow commercial use, as far as I know.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Maybe it's a bit OT, but I'm still wondering how anyone can recognize pirated assets, such as a house, when they only see renders. I believe you may have a problem using assets that are for non-commercial use only. But all the assets from the DAZ store allow commercial use, as far as I know.
I'm not saying the risk isn't low, just that there is a risk.
In the case of houses in particular, if you're kitbashing an interior together then the chances of anyone recognising the assets you're using is going to drop to an incredibly low probability, especially if walls are plain etc. But an exterior of a house can be pretty recognisable.
It really does depend on what you show of an asset on how high the risk gets, which is no doubt why it appears easier in my experience to get caught with assets in a 3D game.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
The guy that caught with renders using pirates assets fucked up somewhere then and prob admitted to using them as there is no other way you would get caught otherwise.

Using them as 3D in your game has nothing to do with using pirate assets. Their license clearly says you arent allowed to use the assets themselves in any 3D game.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
The guy that caught with renders using pirates assets fucked up somewhere then and prob admitted to using them as there is no other way you would get caught otherwise.

Using them as 3D in your game has nothing to do with using pirate assets. Their license clearly says you arent allowed to use the assets themselves in any 3D game.
2D guy got asked to show proof of purchase and when he didn't his Patreon got pulled. My theory is someone snitched. So yeah he probably did fuck up, still got caught out.

Regarding the 3D license thing, it's semantics in my opinion. If you're using assets in a 3D game without the interactive licence you're still using a product without the required license. They might not come down on you as hard if you've purchased the regular license. If they're reasonable people they'll probably just ask you to upgrade and I think most people would do that if they've already dropped money on the thing.
But the instances I've witnessed have been straight up pirated assets, not just a case of going beyond the license.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
I'm not saying the risk isn't low, just that there is a risk.
In the case of houses in particular, if you're kitbashing an interior together then the chances of anyone recognising the assets you're using is going to drop to an incredibly low probability, especially if walls are plain etc. But an exterior of a house can be pretty recognisable.
It really does depend on what you show of an asset on how high the risk gets, which is no doubt why it appears easier in my experience to get caught with assets in a 3D game.
Even if they recognize the house in renders how can they know it's pirated? The creator does not see the list of people who bought their content in the Daz Store.
In fact, you can if you buy an interactive license. But I understand that piracy can be much riskier here.