Ren'Py - Abandoned - House On The Hill [Ep.1] [TacoHoleStory]

1. 3.00 star(s)

TreeFriend

An interesting new game with a unique and more demanding interactive gameplay that most games.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Starting with the positives in "House on the Hill" I would single out the Gameplay which I was very positively surprised by. It is based on a simple point system, smart choices give you points, with these points you can then buy hints or pick locks. The idea of 'buying' the hints is in my opinion very good and it makes the game complicated to get right without giving it a very strong sense of having to grind and grind to gather resources which is a major problem in many other sandbox games. The hints themselves are very direct so you'll know what to do based on these.
    There are some animations here which for a new developer I would consider quite long. The renders themselves are in my opinion average, there is some room for improvement here, I personally am also not a great fan of the models aesthetics, especially regarding the faces, but since I would consider this to be a personal preference it's not reflected in the grade.
    There are some minor spelling errors/Typos ("Nevemind" right at the beginning). The story itself is somewhat lacking at the moment, I'm missing the playing motivation a little bit. Why should we be interested in this MC we're playing or his roommate or his girlfriend? The story is missing a dramatic or satirical peg, something that makes the reader want to follow it and want to see and read the next part. There is lots of good material online on how to write a compelling story/novel, I would recommend checking out some of this material and thinking about where the story is headed and which points within the story would be good to end on for future updates, so that the player is hooked and wants to continue with the story.
    I wish the dev the best of luck and success with this project.

Gameplay: 5/5 | Renders: 3/5 | Story: 2/5 | Writing: 3/5
    GRADE: 3.2/C+