How are devs doing sex animations?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
i thought it was the same like doing animation with blender i could never get the hang of 3dmax. but wasting 10 hours only to find out it was not looking right is waste of valuable time.
Oh, I hear you. LOL. Blender is better for animations than Daz Studio is in many respects, because doing animations is a core part of what Blender was designed to do. DS (IMHO) treats animations as a side line that they have to have, but don't have to excel at. The big thing that DS doesn't have is a proper IK system. Blender, on the other hand, has a very nice IK solver, and supports a wide variety of IK rigs. That makes a huge difference in many types of animations.

Reactions: Dependable_223

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
If you want to see what can be done with single image animations check out this game, I only played the first release the guy did, but I just found out he expanded on it. The first release is all still images made into a movie with code in RenPy. Using Unren and looking through the image file at what he had to do make the animations work, I'm guessing took hours and hours just in the code of the game.

Dependable_223

Engaged Member
Jan 3, 2019
Indeed blender did come a long way with newer versions the older once was really good since it forced to rig all your own armature before even starting anything else. nowadays you get fully automated rigs with blender but even then i sometime still prefer manual rigging over automated stuff.

TheTalSet

Sep 9, 2018
well honestly I don´t want to learn so many programms. I can´t use and learn Cinema 4d, 3dmax, daz 3d, blender and others at all. That´s too much, but I guess I have no option.

For the first I should learn with DAZ. I even don´t know how to make lights very good, except of using an HDRI or a full loaded scene witch has everything.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Another 'poor man's way to animate is to use the Renpy move, transition, scale, etc. functions.

I did have an example gameplay video of what I mean, but it's too big to upload here. Essentially, I used the 'zoom' function with a 'doggy style' situation, where the girl would move closer and farther, to simulate her fucking your cock. The models were Honey Select, but it was kinda fun anyways. I also used suitable transitions for her standing up after turning around, etc.

I also did a couple of these for figures moving across the screen, as they moved closer to you (zooming in as they transitioned to center), and then 'kneeling down' to give you a BJ (i.e. a moving down/partially off of the bottom of the screen transition).

BTW, this was when I was trying to learn more about Renpy, when I did a personal (and now very obsolete) mod for Lab Rats 0.3...

It's not perfect, but it is kinda fun to watch. And not a lot of people do this in sex games, so it can make your game a bit more unique.

And once you get the hang of it, it's faster than trying to render several hundred frames of a 'multi positioned' animated sequence. Just render a few pics and apply the appropriate Renpy functions. It's also very download-size friendly.

TheTalSet

Sep 9, 2018
Damn I tried do export my charalter to blender, but (of couse, how else should it be) it doenst work. Are there some good scripts, tutorials or tips here ? I mean there are a lot in the web, but IMO they are useless (for me, because also I am a noob in blender)

90210nyc

Apr 30, 2021
That begin said, if you ARE going to do an animation loop in Daz3d, the typical steps are as follows:

1. Change the Render Type (Render Settings > General) to Image Series. (Ren'py can render directly to a movie, but if you start out by producing individual images, if something crashes halfway thru, you don't have to start over from scratch.)
  2. Decide how many frames you're going to render. Open the Timeline window, and set the total number of frames to one more than you intend to have in your animation.
  3. Make sure the yellow arrow on the time line is at the "zero" frame.
  4. Put your characters in the scene, and position them into their starting positions.
  5. For each of the characters that is going to be moving in the scene:
    1. Put the yellow arrow on the timeline on the "zero" frame
    2. Select Edit > Figure > Memorize > Memorize Figure Pose
    3. Select Edit > Figure > Restore > Restore Figure Pose
    4. Put the yellow arrow on the timeline on the very last frame
    5. Select Edit > Figure > Restore > Restore Figure Pose
What this just did was to create a keyframe for every bone in the figure's body on the very first frame and the very last frame, ensuring that the last frame is identical to the first frame, which is what you're going to want in order to make things loop properly. Also, having keyframes on everything prevents Daz's animation logic (which can be stupid at times) from deciding that it knows better where things should be.

Now, on intermediate frames, change the positions of the characters as you wish to. You generally get the smoothest results if you don't try to position things on every single frame. Instead, create a few intermediate poses and let Daz Studio interpolate between them for several frames. There are Daz plugins (GraphMate, KeyMate) that can help you edit keyframes better than what the raw Timeline window provides.

Then, render the image series, discard the very last image (which is a duplicate of the very first one) and then combine the image series into a movie file. There are different tools available to do that. I happen to be comfortable with command line tools on Windows, so I typically use ffmpeg to do that.

One trick you can use to speed things up while you're developing the animation is to change the Daz Studio render engine from iRay or 3Delight to Basic OpenGL. This render engine doesn't give you the beautiful images that iRay will, but it's FAST - it can render each frame in seconds. This gives you the opportunity to render out your image series, make a movie out of it and play it to see how things look, then go back and redo things that don't look right without waiting hours and hours for the rendering. Once you're happy with how the figures move, then go back and do the "proper" iRay or 3Delight renders.
Very helpful.
Thanks!

Jul 25, 2022
Hello,
I am new here and wanna develop adult VN. If anyone has any idea or you know any legal website from where I can buy characters with genitals and pre set sex animations that DAZ can support, than i think work will be much more easier for me rather than working on individual poses, images and creating original animations.
Second for commercial purposes, I want to know is it legal to use DAZ for creating sex animations and selling the VN in steam and other platforms?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hello,
I am new here and wanna develop adult VN. If anyone has any idea or you know any legal website from where I can buy characters with genitals and pre set sex animations that DAZ can support, than i think work will be much more easier for me rather than working on individual poses, images and creating original animations.
Second for commercial purposes, I want to know is it legal to use DAZ for creating sex animations and selling the VN in steam and other platforms?
Renderotica mainly, there may be other sites as well but I haven't been keeping track of such things...

As for the 'legality', well you are free to create as many 2D renders (including animated render sequences done in 2D) as you want, and AFAIK there isn't a 'no lewd content' exclusion for such things in the Daz Studio EULA.

Note that content for Daz Studio acquired through other sites may have different licensing restrictions (Renderosity, etc.), so pay attention to the usage rights for this content.

If you use the actual 3D mesh ingame (not just a 2d render(s) of said mesh), that gets into interactive licensing territory, but most people won't be doing this. But if you plan to put the actual model mesh into a game engine (say Unreal), yeah that's 'interactive licensing' territory.

As for putting stuff on Steam, that's another topic entirely, and I'll let others address how to do that the 'right way'.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Well, why not? Not to disagree or anything, just genuinely curious.
General assholery. Taking shots at other devs, among other things. Trashing users for bad reviews while getting caught with an alt that rated every dev he comes across with a one star rating. Names blocked out as all this came from the dev subforum, and I'm not going to involve others in leaking private drama. Believe both accounts have either been banned, or the AnimArts accounts lost its developer tag, so figured it was fine enough.

3.png 4.png
6.png
7.png
8.png

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Saki_Sliz

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
General assholery. Taking shots at other devs, among other things. Trashing users for bad reviews while getting caught with an alt that rated every dev he comes across with a one star rating. Names blocked out as all this came from the dev subforum, and I'm not going to involve others in leaking private drama. Believe both accounts have either been banned, or the AnimArts accounts lost its developer tag, so figured it was fine enough.

View attachment 2957799 View attachment 2957800
View attachment 2957801
View attachment 2957803
View attachment 2957804
Hey yea no, that fits the bill. Thanks for the headsup.

Reactions: MissFortune

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018

View attachment 2957799 View attachment 2957800
View attachment 2957801
View attachment 2957803
View attachment 2957804
Shame. It was kind of cool seeing a animation service.