How are games that use Honey Select made?

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
My question is how games like mythic manor and other games that use illusion software studio are made? They don’t have “renders”? How is it done?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
You grab a screencap from Honey Select Studio. Either directly (though that leaves you with greenscreen issues), or using a tool like IronPy that does a transparent screenshot of the current viewport without the UI.

Reactions: BubaJ

Brawls223

May 12, 2019
Are there issues with copyright when using screencaps with honey select? If so, how do people get around them?

LykaLyka

Oct 17, 2017
Are there issues with copyright when using screencaps with honey select? If so, how do people get around them?
No, I don't think so. It's basically why illusion developed a "poser version" for the player's own use. Screenshots of self-made scenes are one thing but integrating them into Renpy/RPGM assets is pretty neat and resourceful.

There are quite a few games in this forum that use Koikatsu and HoneySelect scenes.

Brawls223

May 12, 2019
No, I don't think so. It's basically why illusion developed a "poser version" for the player's own use. Screenshots of self-made scenes are one thing but integrating them into Renpy/RPGM assets is pretty neat and resourceful.

There are quite a few games in this forum that use Koikatsu and HoneySelect scenes.
Thank you, I'd like to try to make a visual novel in the future and since I can't afford a pc able to make original art I think I'll start off with HoneySelect or Koikatsu

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
You grab a screencap from Honey Select Studio. Either directly (though that leaves you with greenscreen issues), or using a tool like IronPy that does a transparent screenshot of the current viewport without the UI.
There is this one as well alphashot2_v1.3

Reactions: BubaJ

Agnaricson

Illegal Alien
Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Hello! Thought I'd chip in. I use HoneyShot for most of the screen caps, and a bunch of mods for making animations, such as Joan6694's Timeline mod or Keitaro's VNGE mod. Then I use a screen capture software like NCH Suite to capture said animations without the UI. I've come to realize you can make water to wine with Honey Select, at a fairly effective pace. The only downside is that the graphics are so-so. I'm hoping the sequel improves in that regard, making it easier to make good looking scenes effectively!

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
Hello! Thought I'd chip in. I use HoneyShot for most of the screen caps, and a bunch of mods for making animations, such as Joan6694's Timeline mod or Keitaro's VNGE mod. Then I use a screen capture software like NCH Suite to capture said animations without the UI. I've come to realize you can make water to wine with Honey Select, at a fairly effective pace. The only downside is that the graphics are so-so. I'm hoping the sequel improves in that regard, making it easier to make good looking scenes effectively!
I'm using studioneo 2 from AI Shoujo/AI Girl, is there any difference?

Agnaricson

Illegal Alien
Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I'm using studioneo 2 from AI Shoujo/AI Girl, is there any difference?
AI is the latest entry in the Illusion games. It's made in an upgraded version of unity, I think, which makes it purrtier to look at. The mods are slowly but surely coming to AI as well, so if you like it: you can totally make magic with that too. You can even fabric your own clothes in it. I know the ins and outs of HS, so I'm more comfortable with that, but when HS2 comes out, I'll definitely check that out!

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
Do you have a discord so it’s easier to talk to you? If your willing to help me of course.

moonhead

Oct 8, 2016
I'm curious to know more about this too. Are people using HS2 for this now? I'm looking at building an avatar system and using HS2 as the models for it, but curious to know what kind of automation is available for it. Would be looking at switching out clothes and body types in an automated fashion, taking screenshots as I go.

Agnaricson

Illegal Alien
Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I'm curious to know more about this too. Are people using HS2 for this now? I'm looking at building an avatar system and using HS2 as the models for it, but curious to know what kind of automation is available for it. Would be looking at switching out clothes and body types in an automated fashion, taking screenshots as I go.
You'd want to take a bunch of screenshots of different characters in different body shapes and outfits but in the same poses/camera angles. Then you can just use Renpy or any other gaming engine to use imagebuttons, making arrows that the player press to change what clothes the character wears and so on. Be warned, though: You'll then have to make a ton of versions of one scene where everything is as the player decided in the avatar creator.

Or: You can export HS2 characters to Unity and have another approach to this. It requires coding skills but is a whole lot quicker if you want to make something like a character creator.

Or: Do like I first said, and have the game be in first person, so that the choices aren't visible. I was thinking of doing something like this once, where clothes are useless other than giving you various stats, but Cyberpunk beat me to it :KEK:.

Don't really know if there is any easier method of automating the process than that if you want to make your own game.

Last edited:

moonhead

Oct 8, 2016
You'd want to take a bunch of screenshots of different characters in different body shapes and outfits but in the same poses/camera angles. Then you can just use Renpy or any other gaming engine to use imagebuttons, making arrows that the player press to change what clothes the character wears and so on. Be warned, though: You'll then have to make a ton of versions of one scene where everything is as the player decided in the avatar creator.

Or: You can export HS2 characters to Unity and have another approach to this. It requires coding skills but is a whole lot quicker if you want to make something like a character creator.

Or: Do like I first said, and have the game be in first person, so that the choices aren't visible. I was thinking of doing something like this once, where clothes are useless other than giving you various stats, but Cyberpunk beat me to it :KEK:.

Don't really know if there is any easier method of automating the process than that if you want to make your own game.

I've made a little progress with VNGE with HS2 studio. There's nothing in the way of documentation for it all, so I'm digging through the source code to pull out functions that kinda do what I want and re-write them.

Process it goes through (right now) is -

Open character with clothing I want​
Export clothing data to text file​
Repeat for all clothing I want (just individual items)​

Open character with body/face I want​
Apply clothing from text file​
Export screenshot​
Repeat for all clothing​

Loop through all screenshots and output the results of a compare from ImageMagick​

This is all pretty much scripted now, just not happy with the screenshots, need to look into non-standard screenshot methods so I can set a file name.

I was hoping for a way to programmatically set the clothing without needing to set it up on a character in HS2, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen, and thinking about it, probably not ideal anyway, as I'll need to make sure everything looks right and set colours and stuff anyway.