How credible do you think the reviwes here are?

Canade

Sep 26, 2018
I'm always honest and straight-forward when it comes to my reviews, be they good or bad.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I mostly just read the negative reviews to see if there are legit issues that I would also be annoyed by. Reviews that don't offer details are useless regardless what score they give. It's the comments that matter.

taler

Oct 5, 2017
Reviews are good in general. I always flip through several pages of reviews before making a decision to try a game. I always put time into my reviews too and explain myself, though notably my negative reviews tend to be longer than my positive ones, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

Reactions: ryouG and Sole

zombie goast

Jun 13, 2020
I have noticed that most of 1, 2 and even sometimes 3 star reviewers have very obviously not completed the majority of the game and only ever talk about a specific pet peeve of theirs that the game transgresses upon. But since mods only curate based on wordcount and a bunch of other arbitrary bullshit, those reviews stay up. That makes reviews worthless. They should just open ratings up to everyone, and not just the people who care enough or who are paid enough to fulfill the wordcount requirement or else remove ratings altogether. As they are now, they are less than worthless.

ezvr96

Aug 27, 2018
They could always be better, but I think the reviews are very helpful. I always read the reviews first, or at least a few pages worth, and paying attention to what is said in them has generally given me correct expectations about the game. Some of the reviews are obviously noise or have preferences which clearly don't align with mine, but those are easy to discount.

Reactions: Sole

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I would say that reviews here are just as credible as reviews anywhere else where players write reviews.
Some give an honest justification, someone gives 5 stars based on one thing he likes and ignores everything else, someone gives 1 star based on one thing he doesn't like and ignores everything else. ..
In general, they can be useful if you learn how to understand them.

215303j

In my opinion it's more about what people actually write than just the amount of stars they give.

But generally I think the reviews are pretty useful here.
Certainly more so than at Amazon or similar webshops.

May 5, 2018
With reviews you can tell if they're fake or not so I don't think people go overboard with faking those, likes on the other hand? I convinced myself some games get 1000s of fake likes just to keep my faith in humanity somewhat intact + likes are easier to fake with new accounts.

cajamarca

Oct 28, 2019
Rating stars by themselves are useful in one way: just look at how the creator reacts.

If you see the guy liking only 5 star reviews, even the garbage 5 star fanboy reviews, completely ignoring the mostly positive 3 and 4 star reviews, you can assume the game is not as good as its average rating suggests it should be. You can find a great example below:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Rating stars by themselves are useful in one way: just look at how the creator reacts.

If you see the guy liking only 5 star reviews, even the garbage 5 star fanboy reviews, completely ignoring the mostly positive 3 and 4 star reviews, you can assume the game is not as good as its average rating suggests it should be. You can find a great example below:

I do that too.
4-5 stars I like. 3 and under I read and then ignore.

Why would I like someone who doesn't like my game?
That isn't to say that I hate the people that give it a lower rating. I still respect their opinion and their review (these only counts towards the legit reviewers who played the game and genuinely didn't like it. Not the degenerates that skipped it all and cry about lack of something weird)
But liking them? Why?
Love to my player base that enjoys my content. Wave bye towards the one that didn't like it and wish that they find something they do enjoy, and fuck finger to the people that attack the game for weird reasons.

• Love
Reactions: Nottravis and JeefZ

taler

Oct 5, 2017

Nah don't agree with this. Whether or not the dev is a self-absorbed egoist doesn't say much about the quality of the game. Majority of the difference in opinion between you and the average rating is going to be whether you have the same values as the reviewer or not. For example on JoNT the dev values expanding and exploring the world, whereas some reviewers value difficult gameplay. Therefore the modder making the world easier to explore and adding new content pisses off the hard gameplay people who thinks he's ruining the game. It's so whatever, but you can figure these things out by reading the reviews instead of just looking at numbers.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
Not hating your own work = self-absorbed egoist
Nobody is saying that. Stop using strawmans. If someone can't look at himself with the eyes of others and just ignore everyone who dislike his work then he is self-absorbed egoist. If someone has the plan of development and just follow it despite some people disliking the project then he is good developer.
You can be both of this things, you can be one. The creator shouldn't be fragile and should be able to say "touche" when he creates something stupid, bad or absurd and someone point that out. He should be able to said this also when someone simply dislike his game and present good arguments why.
Dev who isn't able to handle criticism more than probably hate himself than the dev who do.

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I don't read them, just like i don't write them.

If i have something to say it will be in a post in the thread.

taler

Oct 5, 2017
Not hating your own work = self-absorbed egoist

:rolleyes:
Absolutely not. you should actually check out the thread, the guy he's talking about is not even the original creator of the game, just a modder who added new pics, made basically no improvements to the gameplay, added loads of bugs, and now thinks he basically owns the project and fights with everyone in the thread. I don't think it's it makes sense to judge the modder for having differing values it's also a very very bad look for the modder to screenshot reviews and insult them because of those values. If it's just liking positive reviews then yes I agree with you, that's normal and doesn't change anything for me.

bingho8

Aug 15, 2020
I joined up this site to find out more about reviews, it doesn't hurt to get other people's opinions when they have played it already. Experience matters :)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ryouG