How did Summertime Saga get so huge/popular?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Something I forgot to mention that is a huge negative to me is all the mini games. Do people actually like those? I would go nuts trying to play that game without the cheat mode on. Does everyone just activate that? Minigames are usually a dealbreaker for me regardless how good the game is unless there is a way to circumvent having to play them.

Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Something I forgot to mention that is a huge negative to me is all the mini games. Do people actually like those? I would go nuts trying to play that game without the cheat mode on. Does everyone just activate that? Minigames are usually a dealbreaker for me regardless how good the game is unless there is a way to circumvent having to play them.
I play those but only bc the last time i played with the cheatmode on, i had problems with sister's panties(i don't remember what kind of problem)

yourdesire8

Jul 1, 2017
I'd also say because of incest,wasn't it one of rarer incest games at the release(and couple versions later)

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Depends on the minigames if they arnt hardcore button mashers or super difficult I dont mind them (loved the card game in Milf Control by ICSTOR)... if its bad minigames I do get VERY salty... the Dinosaur game in "Strange Story" comes to mind, it was Megaman 2 leves of stupid, except without all the balancing and level desgin (basically nearly unbeatable). Actually not sure if many of you are old enough it played exactly like "Adventure Island" on the NES

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Depends on the minigame.

Some of them I really enjoy but one thing I absolutely hate, which is the same for my actual gaming habit as well as H, are quick time events.

I remember Resident Evil 4 and 5 going overboard on those and putting them in cutscenes so I couldn't enjoy what was happening in the story because it's forcing gameplay during story events which is very distracting.

When i'm playing H games especially i'm trying to relax so being on edge waiting for a quick time event doesn't dampen my panties.

Other mini games I really enjoy though, especially memory games or playing little platformers.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
One of the first adult games on Patreon and custom drawn characters so it looks professional. That's all. All devs who started back then and keep it up are huge.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
When I played it a couple of years ago the main flak it got was that every new version that came out forced you to restart... honestly the thread during that time was mostly negative going 10 pages backward to the point I never visited it again... It was the last of the elite 10 games that dominated the "popular games" back when I first found this site that I played. And I couldnt comprehend the amount of hate it got while still remaining popular lol (I think its a great game, maybe not 52k great, but at least 10K/month great).

Then again yesterday I up'd the amount of patrons I joined and was mostly shocked that some I expected were doing great and probably didnt need my "help" were doing pretty abysmal... while some that complain they arent getting enough had decent amounts.... Ptolemy was the biggest shocker... his amount of patrons wasnt super high, but his amount per month made me sad... this is the dude that made "Dreaming of Dana"... I can understand why he hates F95zone now kinda lol...

I just wish I had played "Betrayed" sooner... Joraell's game is pretty damn good, and I heard him say in other topics he doenst even have 50 patrons...I would have picked him over someone else if I had seen how good his game was before I hit the level cap I was willing to spend on patron...
Thanks for nice word's about my game. :)

Reactions: Rythan25

Ark Thompson

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2016
One of the first adult games on Patreon and custom drawn characters so it looks professional. That's all. All devs who started back then and keep it up are huge.
Can't really let you say that. Not only is SS far from being one of the first adult game on Patreon but starting early has nothing to do with popularity. Or else Akabur would have skyrocketed to the first place since he started his Patreon two years before SS (and me too, but that's another problem).

Anyway, I won't discuss graphical look cause I have trouble finding something appealing in SS, BUT, if you're interested in the reason of its success, I'd like to throw something no one mentionned I believe: SS is a vanilla game. Having a vanilla game helps A LOT in gathering a big community since you can basically catter to everyone. On the contrary, the more niche you become and the harder it'll be to get a big community.

And it creates a funny paradox: Since it's "easier" to get more patrons with vanilla games, there are more vanilla games than hardcore ones. Making said hardcore games even more scarce than they were in the first place since no one wants to take that road (in case the devs could enjoy doing it. Of course there is a part of game makers that are simply not interested in making hardcore stuff, but I'm not gullible enough to think that all devs take the path they chose out of passion only :x)

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I'd like to throw something no one mentionned I believe: SS is a vanilla game. Having a vanilla game helps A LOT in gathering a big community since you can basically catter to everyone. On the contrary, the more niche you become and the harder it'll be to get a big community.

And it creates a funny paradox: Since it's "easier" to get more patrons with vanilla games, there are more vanilla games than hardcore ones. Making said hardcore games even more scarce than they were in the first place since no one wants to take that road (in case the devs could enjoy doing it. Of course there is a part of game makers that are simply not interested in making hardcore stuff, but I'm not gullible enough to think that all devs take the path they chose out of passion only :x)
I think you could get away with some of the more niche content if you build in a way for people who don't like that stuff to guarantee they won't see it. Most content doesn't fall into that category. I mean the stuff that for a lot of people is a deal breaker if there is any chance at all that they'll see even 1 scene containing that tag. The simplest solution would just be to add a toggle for the more niche stuff that disables or adds some sort of alternative in the game for that content.

Using myself as an example, I know foot fetishes are relatively popular. It does nothing for me personally, but it's something I can ignore if I happen to see it. So I'd rather it wasn't there but I don't really care if it is. Gay, futa, and a few other less common tags are deal breakers for me though. If any of those are in there I won't play it no matter how good it is unless I can guarantee I won't see it.

Superpowered is a good example of a game that has some of that "deal breaker" content (at least for me) but I still like and play the game because I know I can guarantee I won't see it (futa/tranny stuff in my case). I have to do things in game specifically to enable that content so there's no chance I'll accidently stumble upon it. So I'm fine with it because I know I won't ever see it.

Reactions: BrokenDreams

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Can't really let you say that. Not only is SS far from being one of the first adult game on Patreon but starting early has nothing to do with popularity. Or else Akabur would have skyrocketed to the first place since he started his Patreon two years before SS (and me too, but that's another problem).

Anyway, I won't discuss graphical look cause I have trouble finding something appealing in SS, BUT, if you're interested in the reason of its success, I'd like to throw something no one mentionned I believe: SS is a vanilla game. Having a vanilla game helps A LOT in gathering a big community since you can basically catter to everyone. On the contrary, the more niche you become and the harder it'll be to get a big community.

Maybe not first but one of the very first devs who started doing it seriously. It always works like that in every life aspect. Facebook, Google, Youtube etc. gained their position mostly because they were first in public's eyes. It's a known and quite simple mechanism. Devs who introduced something new gained their share and are unable to lose it because of how those mechanics work. Guys who are here know well that the biggest devs are those who were early, later there are mediocre in size but still successful devs who tried to follow but were to late and at the end we have nowaday devs who can be really happy when they reach 2k$. Normal market reaction that becomes oversaturated with similiar content.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Why do people in this thread assume that the art style of SS is a negative rather than a positive? I don't get that. It definitely doesn't match my personal journey with adult games. I used to hate all 3DCG games and think they all looked boring and samey. 2DCG games had character and personality as opposed to some third tier Daz game with stock characters.

I've grown to like plenty of 3D games, but I still stink 2D games have many inherent advantages over render games, character customization being one of them. You can't have choices about your character's appearance in render games because any difference exponentially multiplies the amount of renders you have to do, while in a 2D game it's relatively simple to edit one piece of art with different hair colors, tattoos, bigger tits, whatever.

BrokenDreams

Apr 16, 2019
Why do people in this thread assume that the art style of SS is a negative rather than a positive? I don't get that. It definitely doesn't match my personal journey with adult games. I used to hate all 3DCG games and think they all looked boring and samey. 2DCG games had character and personality as opposed to some third tier Daz game with stock characters.

I've grown to like plenty of 3D games, but I still stink 2D games have many inherent advantages over render games, character customization being one of them. You can't have choices about your character's appearance in render games because any difference exponentially multiplies the amount of renders you have to do, while in a 2D game it's relatively simple to edit one piece of art with different hair colors, tattoos, bigger tits, whatever.
It's not about 2DCG in general.I like the art style of Good Girl Gone Bad.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017

I like some of the cartoon graphics games. Makes you feel like it's an interactive comic book or something. I think those types of games tend to be made by people who actually want to show off their art skill though.

The beauty of Daz for me is that it allows a non artist to create graphics that look good. Someone with an art/photography background could produce a far superior image compared to what I can with Daz, but I can create something that's "good enough". If I had to actually draw something myself? Forget it.

Ark Thompson

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2016

Personally I don't judge it as "negative". And it's no because it's 2D (I mean, most of my games are 2D). It's just because it's "western". Call me a weeaboo, but there's a huge gap between western and asian art for me (I say asian because Chinese and Korean artists tend to be much more similar to Japanese artists than western artists). Not necessarily in their best form though: An awesome piece of western art will stay awesome no matter what. But when you come to the "average level" (which I consider SS to be), I think (it's my opinion, I'm not saying it's a fact) the asian average level is better than western average level.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Also having like half of the F95 staff working for your game probably helps with promotion and market penetration too
Have you seen any evidence at all of STS being promoted in any way above other games? Or being given any kind of special treatment at all? No? I suggest you avoid creating/spreading baseless rumours as it just reflects poorly on you.

Also TIL 1/20*100 = 50%, maybe you misplaced a 0 in your calculation?

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Have you seen any evidence at all of STS being promoted in any way above other games? Or being given any kind of special treatment at all? No? I suggest you avoid creating/spreading baseless rumors as it just reflects poorly on you.

Also TIL 1/20*100 = 50%, maybe you misplaced a 0 in your calculation?
Was not trying to spread rumors what I was saying was that having people like you helping out helped him with putting together his web presence and helps with search optimization and penetration making things more professional. sorry if you read my statement as being insulting to you. Was not my intent it was meant to be more of a compliment. As I have no problem with you @Sam nor have I ever.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
I must say that Summertime Saga's success is something I don't quite understand. Definitely not a bad game, art is nice and original. But with a budget of more than $ 57,000 a month I would expect much more, when I see what some developers can do with a $ 1000 per month budget.
They are clearly milking it. When I see how many month the last Version took. Looks like they are working extremly inefficiently.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Well the more money you have doesn't make you are gonna make games any faster, nor better. It's up to the dev team make good use of that money, or don't. I really like the game, it's just a shame there's so many bugs (specially story related, you have to look at guides to know if you are stuck or just waiting for something unrelated to happen). Anyway I'm not paying for it, so I'll just be happy to play in a year or two when has new interesting stuff to do. It's what it is.

But it's nitpicking, (althought frustrating sometimes) it's still a game that if you like the art, has many many hours of content to enjoy.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
Well the more money you have doesn't make you are gonna make games any faster, nor better. It's up to the dev team make good use of that money, or don't. I really like the game, it's just a shame there's so many bugs (specially story related, you have to look at guides to know if you are stuck or just waiting for something unrelated to happen). Anyway I'm not paying for it, so I'll just be happy to play in a year or two when has new interesting stuff to do. It's what it is.

But it's nitpicking, (althought frustrating sometimes) it's still a game that if you like the art, has many many hours of content to enjoy.
but at every new version you must re-do everything...