How do alerts work on this site?

OtakuGamer11

Jan 19, 2019
I've noticed that I only get alerts for some of the threads I watch. I don't even know how much stuff I've missed. Is there a way to make it so I get alerts for everything? (I'm talking about the bell icon to the top left of the site's page).

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
There's a section in your preferences on what you do or don't get alerts for. If you look above just below latest updates is watched, there you can check on what your currently watching and see any threads you've missed alerts for.

OtakuGamer11

Jan 19, 2019
I have everything but the first two check boxes in "Receive a notification when someone…" ticked. I don't have "Persistent Alerts Enabled" but that doesn't seem to be what's causing this.

Oh, you mean the Watched thing next to featured threads? I noticed that now, but so far I was only checking notifications. What's the logic behind those? Some watched threads just no longer trigger alerts?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Some watched threads just no longer trigger alerts?
Think if you miss or ignore a alert for a thread you won't get another alert for it, until you go to the thread. If that's the case going to watched and pick threads will show you those (marked unread) threads.

Reactions: gojira667

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Think if you miss or ignore a alert for a thread you won't get another alert for it, until you go to the thread. If that's the case going to watched and pick threads will show you those (marked unread) threads.
Not just going to the thread. You need to have seen the last message in the thread for the alert to appear again when a new message is added.