Ren'Py How do I port Renpy games to android?

eshe

Oct 12, 2017
Would anyone who knows how to do this care to give a detailed tutorial? I have tried many youtube tutorials but none of them work. I have quite a bit of Java coding experience but not python. I heard that most renpy games dont need coding at all to port to android aside from fixing the display

Edit: i succeded to make a apk once only and it crashed after the renpy loading screen :/

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Depending on the game, and what code it uses, it should be "no problem" (as default). Renpy provides a direct build to Android APK from the launcher. Since you're asking the way you're asking, I'm gonna assume you're not trying to build an APK for your own game. That makes it a little bit harder, because there are plenty of edge-cases for games that uses specific Python-modules, or self-made functions and / or classes that aren't directly compatible with Android.

booom313

Drama Queen
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 14, 2016
ren'py has a build in android compiler

you'll only need to change the button size and change focusmasks imagebuttons to imagemaps

if it crashes at the start than you've prob fucked something up

eshe

Oct 12, 2017

you'll only need to change the button size and change focusmasks imagebuttons to imagemaps

All I did was download a renpy game on f95, put it in my renpy projects folder and build it to android and its crashing, could that be why? @booom313

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
That is probably not what you should be doing... first off, you would need to test that the code actually runs on different environments (not just PC) (Mac, Linux...) - it might something stupid like hard-coded file-paths, or someone checking for Windows before running the rest of the code.

You would need to look at the code, find out what (if anything) isn't compatible with Android, and change that to work on Android. There's probably a reason why the game wasn't on Android to begin with. I know with my own game, that I haven't bothered making an Android-version due to too many bugs, that I don't have time to deal with right now.

TQuest

Oct 24, 2018
If the game uses movies, don't forget to convert them for the port.
Windows and Mac use VP9, Android needs MP4.
If you don't have a bunch of movie tools on your computer, you can just use an online converter.

Anyone123

Apr 15, 2018
I just wanted to know if it's all about extracting the rpa files present in the game. Then using rapt for recompilation of the game

Ajavrick

May 25, 2020
Good time of day! I have one small problem when making ark for android... my game on android, is perfectly installed and works, but ... I can't make an icon... just when the game is installed on android, instead of my icon, the standard renpy icon is obtained... can you tell me what the problem is?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Good time of day! I have one small problem when making ark for android... my game on android, is perfectly installed and works, but ... I can't make an icon... just when the game is installed on android, instead of my icon, the standard renpy icon is obtained... can you tell me what the problem is?
Maybe you should RTFM? You need to prepare additional image files for Ren'py to use as the Android icon.

Reactions: 79flavors

Ajavrick

May 25, 2020
Got it! I didn't take into account that renpy makes an icon from two files... I tried to make an icon from a single image... ((
Maybe you should RTFM? You need to prepare additional image files for Ren'py to use as the Android icon.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Got it! I didn't take into account that renpy makes an icon from two files... I tried to make an icon from a single image... ((
That's not actually a Ren'py thing - all (modern) Android icons are built that way. It's designed to allow Android to give you kind of a 3D effect, if the device supports it, plus alter the shape of the border around the icon if the OEM manufacturer wants to be... different.

Reactions: Ajavrick

JuicyEliot

Game Developer
Oct 6, 2020
Hey,
I made my first android build with ren'py this week-end and I also had an issue with the icon. After putting my 2 seperate images background/foreground, the icon didn't update correctly. I had to hit the "Configure" button in the Android build options and it solved the problem.
Just in case you have the same issue.

zombie94

Jun 19, 2021
hola amigo, acabo de editar un juego y quiero que funcione en Android, pero me da el siguiente problema, ¿alguien puede ayudarme?