Ren'Py How do I remove a save file so I can delete a game to save space while waiting for the next update?

bearsed_lich

Jan 15, 2023
As the title says. With all these games only having updates, I would like to keep my hard drive memory space as clear as possible. I am not the most computer savy, and am wondering is there a way I can set aside the save file(s) for these games so I can delete them until a games next update. I normally play RenPy, Unity, and RPGM (Lisa, Lida's Adventure, etc). Thanks!

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
As the title says. With all these games only having updates, I would like to keep my hard drive memory space as clear as possible. I am not the most computer savy, and am wondering is there a way I can set aside the save file(s) for these games so I can delete them until a games next update. I normally play RenPy, Unity, and RPGM (Lisa, Lida's Adventure, etc). Thanks!
First you need to find where the save files for the game are located, then you should be able to copy and paste the save game files and place them either on a thumb drive or a drive that you don't frequently use.

bearsed_lich

Jan 15, 2023
First you need to find where the save files for the game are located, then you should be able to copy and paste the save game files and place them either on a thumb drive or a drive that you don't frequently use.

Thanks! IU'll have to see if I can find them.

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
Majority are, though I do have some Unity and RPGM games.
This thread should be able to help you.
Most saves for Ren Py coded games are in the following directory. %APPDATA%/RenPy/game_directory ("game_directory" refers to the name of the game, for example (%APPDATA%/RenPy/Milfy city).

Furthermore, if you do not see %APPDATA%, you might have to unhide the folder, the folder could be hidden by default.

Reactions: bearsed_lich

bearsed_lich

Jan 15, 2023
This thread should be able to help you.
Most saves for Ren Py coded games are in the following directory. %APPDATA%/RenPy/game_directory ("game_directory" refers to the name of the game, for example (%APPDATA%/RenPy/Milfy city).

Furthermore, if you do not see %APPDATA%, you might have to unhide the folder, the folder could be hidden by default.
Appreciate all the help!

bearsed_lich

Jan 15, 2023
I think I got it. It also looks like by simply putting "%APPDATA%/RenPy/" All my save files for all RenPy games comes up. Thanks! Now I just got to find my damn flash drive.

• Hey there
Reactions: hu lover

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I think I got it. It also looks like by simply putting "%APPDATA%/RenPy/" All my save files for all RenPy games comes up.
I hope that you don't play:

1) Games that used the shared save system, to pass from a chapter to the other, like by example Rebirth, and that those games aren't precisely at a chapter change. Because if it's the case, you also lost everything that will permit to smoothly pass to the said new chapter.

2) Games made with the last (7.6.1 & 8.1.1) version of Ren'Py, because you also lost the security token, and I'm not sure to what extend it's a consistent value that will be identically generated back. Because if it isn't a consistent value, then all your saves for those games will now be seen as presenting a security issue.

Whatever the OS, there's two folders in the Ren'Py saves directory that should never be removed, it's "persistent" and "tokens". If you are also using Ren'Py for coding, include the "backups" folder in this list.

Reactions: bearsed_lich

bearsed_lich

Jan 15, 2023
I hope that you don't play:

1) Games that used the shared save system, to pass from a chapter to the other, like by example Rebirth, and that those games aren't precisely at a chapter change. Because if it's the case, you also lost everything that will permit to smoothly pass to the said new chapter.

2) Games made with the last (7.6.1 & 8.1.1) version of Ren'Py, because you also lost the security token, and I'm not sure to what extend it's a consistent value that will be identically generated back. Because if it isn't a consistent value, then all your saves for those games will now be seen as presenting a security issue.

Whatever the OS, there's two folders in the Ren'Py saves directory that should never be removed, it's "persistent" and "tokens". If you are also using Ren'Py for coding, include the "backups" folder in this list.
Thanks for the head up! I appreciate it!