Ren'Py How do you add a scene from Koikatsu to Ren'Py

McChickenn

Nov 24, 2022
I've been trying to put a video scene I got from the game Koikatsu to Ren'Py however every time I try and run it doesnt show. I'm new to Ren'Py so I'm not sure if there is a certain way to go about this. Here's the code:
define N = Character("????") image movie = Movie(play="intro.ogv", size=(1920, 1080), loop=True,)
# The game starts here.
label start:
N "blah blah blah blah blah blah"
scene movie
N "blah blah blah blah blah blah."
N "blah blah blah."
# This ends the game.
return

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Saying "I got a video and doesn't work" doesn't help much. Next time go in more detail and let us know where you are placing said video, what format it is, and the code you are trying to use. We are not inside your computer, so we can't magically know.

That being said, this is a way to define a movie:
Python:
image test = Movie(play="video/test.webm")
A video called "test" in webm format, inside a Video folder.

Then, to show that video, inside a label I type:
Python:
show test

McChickenn

Nov 24, 2022
my bad I'm using python and the vid format is an ogv here's the line of code I used
define N = Character("????") image movie = Movie(play="intro.ogv", size=(1920, 1080), loop=True,)
# The game starts here.
label start:
scene movie
N "blah blah blah."
# This ends the game.
return

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
my bad I'm using python and the vid format is an ogv here's the line of code I used
# The game starts here.
label start:
scene movie
N "blah blah blah."
# This ends the game.
return
ogv is a supported format. Where did you place the video? If you placed it inside "images" folder, then it should be read automatically.
Also be careful with the formatting, you can't place a character and image next to each other, each should be on its own line.

-edit-
Also, it could be an issue with the video itself, should everything else be correct. Example:

McChickenn

Nov 24, 2022
ogv is a supported format. Where did you place the video? If you placed it inside "images" folder, then it should be read automatically.
Also be careful with the formatting, you can't place a character and image next to each other, each should be on its own line.

-edit-
Also, it could be an issue with the video itself, should everything else be correct. Example:
The video is placed in the images folders I recorded the vid from obs which I believe was either an mp4 or mkv file then converted it to an ogv. My best guess is I just messed up the conversion somehow but I just wanted to make sure that was the case and there wasn't any other reason why it's not working

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The link remind me about the most common video issue with Ren'Py: muted sound.

Ren'Py play movie by reusing the Audio feature, and it the sound is muted, whatever voluntarily, or because there's no sound device on the computer, the video will not play.

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The video is placed in the images folders I recorded the vid from obs which I believe was either an mp4 or mkv file then converted it to an ogv. My best guess is I just messed up the conversion somehow but I just wanted to make sure that was the case and there wasn't any other reason why it's not working
I'd suggest using webm as it is the most efficient.
Also, you should not use OBS to record from KK... It's an extra unnecessary step. Koikatsu can record and directly export in webm, press CTRL + E and this window should open up:

To test it out quickly, I'd just drop a video example in images and keep it simple without other parameters, using the code I posted above. If it still doesn't play, then it is an audio issue which as anne O'nymous said, it is very common.

McChickenn

Nov 24, 2022
I'd suggest using webm as it is the most efficient.
Also, you should not use OBS to record from KK... It's an extra unnecessary step. Koikatsu can record and directly export in webm, press CTRL + E and this window should open up:

To test it out quickly, I'd just drop a video example in images and keep it simple without other parameters, using the code I posted above. If it still doesn't play, then it is an audio issue which as anne O'nymous said, it is very common.
Oh I had no idea you could do that ill start using that instead thanks for the helpful advice

Reactions: Winterfire