How do you feel about this artstyle?

How do you feel about the artstyle in the post?

• It's repulsive

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I don't like it, but it's tolerable

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Meh, no strong feelings either way

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • I'd enjoy seeing this in a game

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It's fantastic

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Xandyr44

Dec 4, 2017
I was just messing around and did this with reshade. Untitled-1.png Will probably need some adjustment with the colors for your screen. Also if you wuld just rather use photoshop I was playing with the idea of a MC that does art Desktop Screenshot 2022.08.28 - 13.19.40.73.png can share that photoshop doc if you want.

Last edited:

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
It's an interesting art style, but I don't think I want to jack off to it. Not really sure where that fits among the votes. Somewhere between 3 and 1 but definitely not 2? I don't hate it or even really dislike it, it's just not sexy to me.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
This game:
https://f95zone.to/threads/pale-pure-v0-8b-aretired.1418/
by aRetired uses a similar style.

I think it worked in the context. The problem with that game graphics (as far as I remember) were the backgrounds and the strange / unnatural lighting.

Still I did like his games.

On the other hand, if you are capable of making good Daz renders, then I don't really see the point. If your renders are sub-par for some reason (e.g. lack of good graphics cars and/or skills) then this might be a good way out.

Maybe you can also play around with giving Honey Select renders this treatment and see how that works out. Honey Select is a lot easier and faster to work with than Daz, in my opinion.

Nagozo

Sep 30, 2017
I was just messing around and did this with reshade.
[...]
Also if you wuld just rather use photoshop I was playing with the idea of a MC that does art can share that photoshop doc if you want.
The reshade image is giving me vague Borderlands vibes, I could see that working in post-apocalyptic settings or something. I personally don't use photoshop so the doc won't do me any good, but if you have any general techniques I'm always interested.

It's an interesting art style, but I don't think I want to jack off to it. Not really sure where that fits among the votes. Somewhere between 3 and 1 but definitely not 2? I don't hate it or even really dislike it, it's just not sexy to me.
I hear you; that's why the style would only be used for small side images/character busts. Like Yngling also mentioned, applying this style to full scenes would probably end up with weird looking backgrounds; I don't think it'd work well for sexy images.

This game:
https://f95zone.to/threads/pale-pure-v0-8b-aretired.1418/
by aRetired uses a similar style.

I think it worked in the context. The problem with that game graphics (as far as I remember) were the backgrounds and the strange / unnatural lighting.

Still I did like his games.

On the other hand, if you are capable of making good Daz renders, then I don't really see the point. If your renders are sub-par for some reason (e.g. lack of good graphics cars and/or skills) then this might be a good way out.

Maybe you can also play around with giving Honey Select renders this treatment and see how that works out. Honey Select is a lot easier and faster to work with than Daz, in my opinion.
Cool, thanks for pointing out Pale Pure, even if it's a little different since that game uses full stylised scenes.
3D doesn't seem like a great fit for the story I'm trying to tell (fantasy stuff can be hard to portray convincingly in 3D environments), but I have no 2D skills (and honestly don't have the dedication to learn atm) so this was an attempt at working around that and still having some small graphics elements in the game.
Also, all the images in this thread are Honey Select (2) renders given this treatment. I have no experience in Daz, but like you say, HS is super easy to work with if you're not doing anything complex.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Also, all the images in this thread are Honey Select (2) renders given this treatment. I have no experience in Daz, but like you say, HS is super easy to work with if you're not doing anything complex.
If you are using HS2 at the moment, then I would say that (in my opinion) your proposed art style may be a better solution.

Although good results are definately possible, most HS games tend to look a bit cookie-cutter. HS2 is somewhat better but still... Your art style is certainly unique.

Reactions: Nagozo