Daz How do you make the effect of wet hair (G8F)?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
What solution do you use for wet hair, for example when a girl gets out of a shower or a swimming pool?
It is not enough to just change the surface. Wet hair has a completely different shape. I think we all know the difference.
Before_And_After_Bath.jpg

It works the same way for girls.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I don't know of a generic way to do it, other than remodeling the hair. There are some Daz hairs that have "wet and dry" options.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Some hairs have a morph for volume, they are good for that kind of effect if you use a fitting shader, it's not perfect though. The best way is like Rich mentioned to use hair that was specifically designed that way, which is sadly quite rare

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Some hairs have a morph for volume, they are good for that kind of effect if you use a fitting shader, it's not perfect though. The best way is like Rich mentioned to use hair that was specifically designed that way, which is sadly quite rare
Choosing only hair that also has a wet version would be too limiting. I'm looking for some solution that works for all hair, although the result may not be ultrarealistic.

Maybe I'll try some playing with hair morphs for volume, mesh grabber and shaders.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Maybe I'll try some playing with hair morphs for volume, mesh grabber and shaders.
The mesh grabber might be a help. It can help solve a lot of problems - was a great addition to the DS toolkit.

Obviously, part of what you'd want to do is "devolume" the hair, so that it sits flatter to the head. And then (probably) darken the color somewhat, and add some gloss. The latter two should, in theory, be able to be done with the existing shader, particularly if it's the iRay Uber shader.

The hard part would probably be making bits of the hair "strandy." Meaning like how a long lock of hair will clump together and separate from the rest of the hair. The issue with that is that most hairs are physically made up of sheets with transparency applied.

Of course, the "full macho" approach would be to roll your own strand-based hair. With that, you could comb it differently for different environments. But that's a pretty serious undertaking.

Basically, "it's hard." Which is probably why few hairs offer it...

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
It would be easier to try and edit an existing wet hair than to try and fudge your own somehow.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Do you feel that the hair in the second picture can play a role as a wet variant for the hair in the first picture?
It's the result of a bit of playing with shaders and mesh grabber.
I'm not trying to make that hair look 100% realistic.

Those renders are grainy, it's just a quick preview after a few iterations.
1607951913140.png

2.png

Another option, a little less dark. I know wet hair should be darker than dry hair, but maybe in the second picture it's too dark.

3.png

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Do you feel that the hair in the second picture can play a role as a wet variant for the hair in the first picture?
It's the result of a bit of playing with shaders and mesh grabber.
I'm not trying to make that hair look 100% realistic.
That's a nice piece of work. I think the darker one looks better. The other thing you'd want to do is to increase the glossiness of the darkened hair, since wet hair is typically shinier than dry hair.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
That's a nice piece of work. I think the darker one looks better. The other thing you'd want to do is to increase the glossiness of the darkened hair, since wet hair is typically shinier than dry hair.
Unfortunately, those modified hairs cause problems and "black renders" quite often. Probably if I make too many modifications using a mesh grabber, it can cause problems.
I'm trying a slightly different approach now. It is a combination of working with the Geometry Editor and Mesh Grabber.
I'll use the Geometry editor to remove some parts of the hair and reduce its volume (and save as new hair asset), and with the mesh Grabber I'll make just a few final modifications. I'll play around with the "Cutout Oppacity" map to make the hair look more sticky together. 've played with the opacity map before, but I'll try to do it a little differently.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I see, maybe try this:

Thanks, I saw these products. But I don't think any of it looks like a wet version for the hair I use. I'll probably try more experiments with the Geometry Editor, Mesh Grabber, Shaders and Opacity map of the hairstyle I'm using.

Reactions: root

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
let me be brutally honest here: thumbs up for the effort, but the hair looks like a cheap low poly model compared to the original form. It looks bad.
What I would do, since it looks similar:
Take "Kinley Hair", the one I use for Ellie, use dforce on it with higher gravity value and then change the glossyness, set refraction dual lobe specular weight to 1 and play with the refraction dual lobe specular roughness until you're happy with it.

Last edited:

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
just a real quick one, didn't even take a minute and I only changed dual lobe specular weight to 1 and ran a dforce simulation.
View attachment 946074
Thanks. The hair you suggest could work. The pigtails look quite different and are placed differently, but I'll try what to do with it. So far, it looks like it's closer to that hair than the other products I've considered.
Honestly, I have not yet been satisfied with the result of my attempts. But at least I learned a thing or two about the mesh grabber and geometry editor, which can be useful. I think after further experiments with the opacity map, it would be possible to make the hair I use look better than my current result. But using other hair as a wet version may be an easier way.

Reactions: recreation

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks, I saw these products. But I don't think any of it looks like a wet version for the hair I use. I'll probably try more experiments with the Geometry Editor, Mesh Grabber, Shaders and Opacity map of the hairstyle I'm using.
My first-order sense is that you can probably get away with just Mesh Grabber, as opposed to Geometry Editor, at least a lot of the time. Given that a lot of hair is done by having "sheets" that then have transparency and color on them, if you kind of "flattened the sheets against the head", you'd achieve the "it gets matted down" effect. Of course, doing "it gets mussed up" is a somewhat different effect, but might or might not be necessary, depending on what you're trying to achieve. "Just came up out of the water" is different than "my hair is still wet out of the shower but I've been toweling it some."

The "trick" is that if you just move the vertices around, then the original shaders and textures (possibly darkened) should still work.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
My first-order sense is that you can probably get away with just Mesh Grabber, as opposed to Geometry Editor, at least a lot of the time. Given that a lot of hair is done by having "sheets" that then have transparency and color on them, if you kind of "flattened the sheets against the head", you'd achieve the "it gets matted down" effect. Of course, doing "it gets mussed up" is a somewhat different effect, but might or might not be necessary, depending on what you're trying to achieve. "Just came up out of the water" is different than "my hair is still wet out of the shower but I've been toweling it some."

The "trick" is that if you just move the vertices around, then the original shaders and textures (possibly darkened) should still work.
I'll try to play around a bit with the hair that recreation suggests, and maybe with a few other products. I'll also try the hair I use and play a little more with mesh grabber and opacity maps and see what I like.
It costs quite a bit of time, considering that the wet variant will only be in a few renders, but I think that it is quite interesting and valuable experience that will come in handy and in other parts of my VN.

In the meantime, I will work on other renders.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Looks like there's a simple trick that works pretty well. I use the hair I originally used and just reduce the x scale and the y scale. This will slightly reduce the volume of the hairstyle. I move bangs over the face by morphs. I slightly increase the number of collision iterations so that the hair will fit to the head. I still have to play around with shaders, colors and the opacity map, but I think the first attempt with this approach doesn't look that bad. Maybe I'll make a few minor adjustments with a mesh grabber or geometry editor. test.png