How do you pay your 2DCG Artist... ??

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Hello, my friends,

So I wanted to make some 2DCG games in wether Ren'Py or RPGM and after talking to almost 300 guys on deviant art I came with these results...

From 300 only 100 answered... and I got only 10 positive answers...

*Some take your money and never answer you after that.

*One was pretty serious but then after the first commission has done, he took the money for the second one and then nothing...

*Another one did my first commission and told me it's a lot of work and he will pass lol

etc etc...

**The only serious one I got left is a guy who takes almost 200$ for one full body naked girl with 10 expressions and 4 arm sets... well he is expensive but at least he's serious and does so good shit...

So my question is...

Do you pay your artist by commissions or do you gave them like a salary/hourly pay?

I pay only by commissions but it's really difficult to work with some due to the lack of dedication...

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I was on vacation in Jamaica a long time ago, and before going home I decided to grab some souvenirs and gifts for friends back home. So I went to the local market, a row of shacks where the locals sold trinkets, arts and crafts. Much to my surprise I found a really talented artist, selling paintings for $5 - $20 each. I could have been a dick, and bought them all, but instead I offered him a deal. Instead of buying his paintings, I would give him a hundred dollar deposit, and take some of the paintings back to the states for a showing, and see what they would bring in the art scene at the time. He thought I was crazy, but he agreed to my terms. We packed up a dozen paintings, and as agreed I gave him 12 x $100 =$1200 deposit
he really thought I was crazy.
Long story short, we've been friends ever since, and whenever I visit Jamaica, he lets me stay in his 12,000 sq ft guest house, and lets me drive his Bentley. You won't find dedication by commisson.

Reactions: ttgd and Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
I was on vacation in Jamaica a long time ago, and before going home I decided to grab some souvenirs and gifts for friends back home. So I went to the local market, a row of shacks where the locals sold trinkets, arts and crafts. Much to my surprise I found a really talented artist, selling paintings for $5 - $20 each. I could have been a dick, and bought them all, but instead I offered him a deal. Instead of buying his paintings, I would give him a hundred dollar deposit, and take some of the paintings back to the states for a showing, and see what they would bring in the art scene at the time. He thought I was crazy, but he agreed to my terms. We packed up a dozen paintings, and as agreed I gave him 12 x $100 =$1200 deposit
he really thought I was crazy.
Long story short, we've been friends ever since, and whenever I visit Jamaica, he lets me stay in his 12,000 sq ft guest house, and lets me drive his Bentley. You won't find dedication by commisson.
So what happened to the paintings?

by the way, 100$ per painting Is what I pay per commission... So you suggest a raise or a salary OR do you mean I need to make IRL artist friends to have some dedication?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
So what happened to the paintings?

by the way, 100$ per painting Is what I pay per commission... So you suggest a raise or a salary OR do you mean I need to make IRL artist friends to have some dedication?
That first batch of paintings netted him about $20k (1980s) He became famous, and anything he paints is worth a fortune today. He was airbrushing caricature tee shirts to feed his family, his paintings rarely sold... to tourists from the cruise ships.
not his, but an example
images.jpg

If you partner up with an artist... find someone interested in the project. It wouldn't cost you as much up-front.
They put in x number of images as their buy in to the partnership... they get x in return from the partnership, if it works out you both do well.

Reactions: Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
That first batch of paintings netted him about $20k (1980s) He became famous, and anything he paints is worth a fortune today. He was airbrushing caricature tee shirts to feed his family, his paintings rarely sold... to tourists from the cruise ships.
not his, but an example
View attachment 268553
That's a hell of a story man... And can be a good plot for a movie that talks about the artist and his friend ;)

If you partner up with an artist... find someone interested in the project. It wouldn't cost you as much up-front.
They put in x number of images as their buy in to the partnership... they get x in return from the partnership, if it works out you both do well.
Well, the problem is, no one seems to be interested because whether they don't know me/trust me or they don't believe that my project will do fine... It's really depressing/frustrating...

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
put together a small demo showing what you can do. non commercial use - demo - using borrowed images in a parody.
that will demonstrate what talent you bring to a partnership. funny how people don't just take your word for what you can do, you have to show them.

Reactions: Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
put together a small demo showing what you can do. non commercial use - demo - using borrowed images in a parody.
that will demonstrate what talent you bring to a partnership. funny how people don't just take your word for what you can do, you have to show them.
Yeah it's funny and frustrating too but well they have their reasons I guess...