How fast should I get to the sexy stuff?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Dec 21, 2022
Hello everybody, So I am wanting to make a visual novel game involving a lot of sex scenes. But I don't know how long I should have the setup for the story be without being boring but also not too short to where you don't understand why you are doing the things you are doing. If anyone can give some tips or advice it would be so great!
You get the viewer bored if you put too much dialogues that make no sense at all. For ex. -> "While walking with my childhood friend to school, I saw a beautiful white bird in the sky. The sky was blue as the ocean and the weather was really good.". Just say "I walked to school with my childhood friend". Too many details that don't help the viewer understand the story, make everything really boring.

Of course mine is a shitty example but I hope you did understand what I meant. It can even take up to a real hour to get to a scene personally but it has to be an hour where we do understand the characters, what they think, how they act and so on.

Putting a sexual scene between the MC and one of his love interests is always the hardest part, especially their 1st time together, because you have to write down everything so that it does make sense (makes sense the fact that the 2 of em want to have sex with each other). Most people nowadays use the excuse of "They were childhood friends, because of this they loved each other since forever and now let's have brutal sex from morning to dawn." Of course it makes no sense at all. You have to let me understand first the point of view and what the MC thinks and then what the childhood friend thinks (of course it can even be the opposite, so 1st the girl and then the MC).

Casual sex at 1st just kills everything, it's like the characters feel nothing for each other but just want to fuck and that's it. You can do it but as a writing choice is really bad. The higher the amount of sex the better but it has to come later in the game. They just can't fuck like rabbits from the starts without real reasons, it would be seen (and it is) as poor writing.

Last edited:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I think it's good to understand why people complain about dream scenes. Nothing that happens in dreams normally has any consequence. If a dev uses dreams to show stuff without consequences, like to spam early meaningless dream sex scenes, that's pretty boring to read. It's often a good view into the fetishes the devs likes, though.
It can have various purposes. For one, it can show what's to come. MC can dream about a LI in slave outfit in a slow corruption game. Or it could be an indicator of the route you are on. Or it could simply be used to show scenes without impacting the relationships unnaturally early on. It can also show MC's mental state. The point is some people will hate such things, while others will like the steady supply of scenes that cannot happen in the story yet and how it could maintain the desired atmosphere. There is no universal answer. Games like Lydia Collier has lots of dream scenes, and it reads just fine.

I'd agree that in a straight up dating sim without a main plot, it would probably be a bad idea to show some dream scene of the main LI, because that type of scenario is basically about wooing the girl and finally winning her pussy heart as the big prize. It all depends on the type of game and story we are talking about.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
always start off with teases, like either a character stripping or wearing lingerie, coax the player into seeing more and more until you finally get to the full frontal nude or h-scene

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote