How hard would it be to make a game?

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
hi guys, sorry in advance for my bad english. i hope you will get most of what im trying to convey.
very soon ill be starting a year long course learning the basics of unity and unreal softwares. im aproching it with zero knowledge in programming.
i was wandering, because i really like games like THE TWIST and such, how hard will it be for me as a single developer to create such game?
and if by chance there are content creators who read my post. are there any tips you are willing to share on what to pay attention the most in my studies relating to this subject?
many thanks!
In regards to Unreal Engine & Unity, if it's just you, development will be SLOW. That's the problem. Even if you're a great programmer, development will still be slow. It's gonna be SLOW. Slow you say Hakarlman? SLOW!!!!!

SLOW... SLOW... SLOW... No matter how fast you program, it's never enough. Everyday is creating one small system that eventually contributes to the whole.

Day 1 - You create one small system.
Day 2 - You create one small system.
Day 5 - You create one small system.
Day 12 - You create one small system.
Day 18 - You create one small system.

"WHAT THE FUCK, I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MY GOAL."

Day 182 - You create one small system.

"FFS, I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO DO."

Day 1182 - 3 years later - You create one small system.

"OMG. FINALLY. IT'S FINALLY COMING TOGETHER. ONLY TOOK 3 YEARS of 14 HOUR A DAY SHIFTS, taking Sunday off."

Prepare yourself for that.

But, there's a light at the end. The developer who made The Twist never stopped, he kept going and he finally succeeded.

Same with the game The Last Barbarian, he never gave up and created a pretty cool game, even though it took a very long time.

Join their discord, and if the dev is taking a break, talking to people in chat, just ask him for some advice. Those guys are inspirations.

Last edited:

Opfr

Jan 28, 2018
The poster above me is spot on. Anything is doable but it's extremely slow. Be prepared to pick up and learn many skills a long the way to keep costs down as well. Everytime you progress you will stumble onto problems you cannot predict.

Sometimes you get everything working like you planned and you realize it's actually not that fun or just doesn't play well.

Regardless be prepared to spend years as a solo dev!

Drailer1999

Apr 3, 2022
In regards to Unreal Engine & Unity, if it's just you, development will be SLOW. That's the problem. Even if you're a great programmer, development will still be slow. It's gonna be SLOW. Slow you say Hakarlman? SLOW!!!!!

SLOW... SLOW... SLOW... No matter how fast you program, it's never enough. Everyday is creating one small system that eventually contributes to the whole.

Day 1 - You create one small system.
Day 2 - You create one small system.
Day 5 - You create one small system.
Day 12 - You create one small system.
Day 18 - You create one small system.

"WHAT THE FUCK, I'M NOT EVEN CLOSE TO MY GOAL."

Day 182 - You create one small system.

"FFS, I STILL HAVE SO MUCH TO DO."

Day 1182 - 3 years later - You create one small system.

"OMG. FINALLY. IT'S FINALLY COMING TOGETHER. ONLY TOOK 3 YEARS of 14 HOUR A DAY SHIFTS, taking Sunday off."

Prepare yourself for that.

But, there's a light at the end. The developer who made The Twist never stopped, he kept going and he finally succeeded.

Same with the game The Last Barbarian, he never gave up and created a pretty cool game, even though it took a very long time.

Join their discord, and if the dev is taking a break, talking to people in chat, just ask him for some advice. Those guys are inspirations.
indeed they are! do you have their discord?
and thank you for your insightful reply :)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: hakarlman

orellion

May 12, 2023
2 years before you get something fun that's over 10 minutes in length. You are the programmer, writer, bug tester, asset/resource maker, marketer, etc

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
indeed they are! do you have their discord?
and thank you for your insightful reply :)
If you click the last barbarian link, and go to the f95zone page for that game, it has a discord link. I don't have the discord for The Twist though.