Daz How safe is it to move folders about in Daz/ My Libary.folder ?

MashUp47

Aug 26, 2020
Hi sorry if this is a dumb question but after downloading a few mods that needed repacking I noticed that the file structure was a mess with mods not being in what i would call there proper place .ie Animations being installed to the main directory and character's having there own folders in main directory. So with out changing any thing in the runtime folder can I safely move these animation's/characters to there correct place without breaking my install?. Thank you in advance

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Everything will still work just fine from the Content Library Pane if you move asset folders around (just don't change/move the data and Runtime folders/subfolders). However, if the asset was installed with DIM, moving the folders will break the meta-data, so no Smart-Content options for that asset. Also uninstalling the asset will not work correctly since some of its folders were moved, the product may be removed from the install manifest, but some files will remain.

But if the asset was installed manually and had no meta-data to start with, then it's safe to move the folders around.

You could edit the meta-data files to point to the new directories, but it's tedious. So it's a trade-off most of the time, manual install with nice folders, or DIM with Smart-Content.

Last edited:
Reactions: MashUp47

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
if you need to put everything on a new hard drive just make sure change all the directories

in daz go to edit then to preference then to content then click on content directory manager and change what you need to change

in DIM manager go to setting then go to downloads and change the first directory then go to installation where it says label and path change those directories as well

now back in to daz make sure you are in the smart content there should a arrow with 4 lines click on it then click on content DB maintenance and then select re-import metadata

LOwyR.png

MashUp47

Aug 26, 2020
Everything will still work just fine from the Content Library Pane if you move asset folders around (just don't change/move the data and Runtime folders/subfolders). However, if the asset was installed with DIM, moving the folders will break the meta-data, so no Smart-Content options for that asset. Also uninstalling the asset will not work correctly since some of its folders were moved, the product may be removed from the install manifest, but some files will remain.

But if the asset was installed manually and had no meta-data to start with, then it's safe to move the folders around.

You could edit the meta-data files to point to the new directories, but it's tedious. So it's a trade-off most of the time, manual install with nice folders, or DIM with Smart-Content.
if you need to put everything on a new hard drive just make sure change all the directories

in daz go to edit then to preference then to content then click on content directory manager and change what you need to change

in DIM manager go to setting then go to downloads and change the first directory then go to installation where it says label and path change those directories as well

now back in to daz make sure you are in the smart content there should a arrow with 4 lines click on it then click on content DB maintenance and then select re-import metadata

View attachment 826184
Thank you for the reply. I can now start sorting the messy filing system out. I have about 34gb of unsorted file's to sort and then I will repack it into 1.5gb zip file's with meta data added. Thank's again for the advice :)

Reactions: Madmanator99

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018

Hijack question.

If I understand what you're saying if I have a manually installed character stored under a creator name like

I:\My Library\Content\People\Genesis 8 Female\Characters\Naxos\Mary

I can freely move it

I:\My Library\Content\People\Genesis 8 Female\Characters\Mary
dropping the creators /store/ whatever name and keeping all my girls in one Characters folder?

I just must not touch the "I:\My Library\Content\data" folder structure or "runtime" folder structure?

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Hi, yes that is correct, don't change the data and runtime folders, the rest of the folders you can (animals, vehicles, environments, characters, clothing, hairs, etc).
Just keep in mind that moving an asset's folder (a character for example), it will stop the smart-content tab from working for that asset (if it had smart-content metadata).