How should I approach game development without money or art.

123sdasdasd

Mar 12, 2020
My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this but here goes.
I am a writer and a decent programmer. I want to deliver a project that can get me started as all my past projects always got abandoned due to people losing interest. I like making 3D games the most. My problem is I don't have the money to be able to hire an artist. And revenue share isn't the best of ways to keep people invested in the project and most people go radio silent after a while.
So I wanted to ask for some suggestions on my next move. Should I learn 3D art and how to make it? How time consuming is that and is it achievable for a person with little to no experience in any type of art. What kind of equipment do I need to deliver decent 3D art?
Or are there other ways?

Reactions: tariktokluk

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
It took me about 600 hours, give or take, to learn Daz3D from scratch and to produce the ~300 renders in my first project's release to a quality I found acceptable (link in my signature to see how it turned out). I have some background in art as an occasional hobby, but I'm not an expert by any means. All the writing, programming, sound design, UI/UX design I do myself. You're right, relying on others to help you develop your vision is a risk, because there's no immediate return on investment for them and they have no stake in the story like you do. This is a passion project for me, and I don't expect that to be true for anyone else.

For equipment, a PC with a decent GPU for rendering is pretty much all you need. I'm bottlenecked with 8GB VRAM at the moment and I was still able to turn out nice renders, so you don't need to go ballistic with a $4000 pc to play ball.

123sdasdasd

Mar 12, 2020
It took me about 600 hours, give or take, to learn Daz3D from scratch and to produce the ~300 renders in my first project's release to a quality I found acceptable (link in my signature to see how it turned out). I have some background in art as an occasional hobby, but I'm not an expert by any means. All the writing, programming, sound design, UI/UX design I do myself. You're right, relying on others to help you develop your vision is a risk, because there's no immediate return on investment for them and they have no stake in the story like you do. This is a passion project for me, and I don't expect that to be true for anyone else.

For equipment, a PC with a decent GPU for rendering is pretty much all you need. I'm bottlenecked with 8GB VRAM at the moment and I was still able to turn out nice renders, so you don't need to go ballistic with a $4000 pc to play ball.
Thanks for the answer. I thought you needed other gear to be able to do quality renders, guess I was wrong. I'll look into 3D art more. Again thanks for the reply. And goodluck with your project.