How should the first release be?

LfkCn

Apr 20, 2023
I know a lot of people here hate seeing version numbers like 0.1. Most games get abandoned before the second update, which leads to this result. Because of the distrust this creates, some people don't even bother with games in version 0.1. So, it's really important for first-time game developers to make a good impression. This brings me to the question: what makes a good first release?

How long should the game be? Half an hour? An hour? (Honestly, I have no idea how these times are calculated since everyone reads and "enjoys" animations at different speeds.) How many animations should there be? As many as the story needs, or a lot to make it more appealing? Should you introduce all the characters planned for the story in the first episode to get players curious about future episodes? Or should they be saved for the 2nd or even the 3rd episode? Should there be long dialogues to make sure characters don't feel like NPCs? Or should we not worry about deepening the story since it's a sex game? What are the must-haves or absolute no-gos?

And the most important question: what should the update be called? No, this is not a joke; I'm serious. Version 0.1 is really off-putting to a lot of people. Maybe Episode 1? Or Week 1? Or maybe 0.0000001? I have no idea why there are so many zeros.

Let's discuss. I know everyone likes different things, but I'm still curious about your thoughts.

Note: I'm planning to make a visual novel with not much interaction. Even if I wanted a complex sandbox with various mechanics, I couldn't do it (yet). You can tailor your responses accordingly.

Brosewood

Mayor of Sutton
Game Developer
Oct 7, 2021
Your first release is both your foundation and your first impression. Both are critical.

What you should have in v0.1:
  1. All your variables/code are set so you don't have to add things later. Granted, there's a good chance you might have to anyway, but the less you have to do later, the better.
  2. You want a reasonable amount of content but do keep in mind that people will want the next version to have a similar amount of content.
  3. This version should at least give me an idea of what your game's going to be in the future.
  4. A good hook, whether that be plot or gameplay. You don't have to introduce all the characters or gameplay elements, but you do have to give me a reason to come back for v0.2 and beyond.
  5. Considering this is likely an adult game, some sort of erotic sequence isn't a bad idea. Of course, this depends on the kind of story you're telling.
The version number is up to you. I don't think it really matters too much. People who want a complete game will wait for it to be complete. I can see how maybe Chapter 1 is more appealing than v0.1, but I do think people will also expect more content and will also make assumptions about the size of future updates.

LfkCn

Apr 20, 2023
Your first release is both your foundation and your first impression. Both are critical.

What you should have in v0.1:
  1. All your variables/code are set so you don't have to add things later. Granted, there's a good chance you might have to anyway, but the less you have to do later, the better.
  2. You want a reasonable amount of content but do keep in mind that people will want the next version to have a similar amount of content.
  3. This version should at least give me an idea of what your game's going to be in the future.
  4. A good hook, whether that be plot or gameplay. You don't have to introduce all the characters or gameplay elements, but you do have to give me a reason to come back for v0.2 and beyond.
  5. Considering this is likely an adult game, some sort of erotic sequence isn't a bad idea. Of course, this depends on the kind of story you're telling.
The version number is up to you. I don't think it really matters too much. People who want a complete game will wait for it to be complete. I can see how maybe Chapter 1 is more appealing than v0.1, but I do think people will also expect more content and will also make assumptions about the size of future updates.
I personally want every update to be close in length to each other. at least this is the case in the games I play. so I would make sure that this is the case in the game I will make. at least that's what I want.

lfgals1

Sep 7, 2022
I personally want every update to be close in length to each other. at least this is the case in the games I play. so I would make sure that this is the case in the game I will make. at least that's what I want.

I think most games would do better having a bulkier initial release. I rarely come back to games that release with very little content. There needs to be enough meat on those bones to leave an impression IMO.

Kayfabe Octopus

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2024
I think most games would do better having a bulkier initial release. I rarely come back to games that release with very little content. There needs to be enough meat on those bones to leave an impression IMO.
I do wonder what's considered bulky though. I guess I know when it feels too short but what is that sweet spot that is a good amount of content yet where the dev didn't have to spend ages working on a first release without all that much outside feedback or a feel for if the game is appealing. Seems more difficult to course correct the more content you make.

Reactions: LfkCn

Brosewood

Mayor of Sutton
Game Developer
Oct 7, 2021
I do wonder what's considered bulky though. I guess I know when it feels too short but what is that sweet spot that is a good amount of content yet where the dev didn't have to spend ages working on a first release without all that much outside feedback or a feel for if the game is appealing. Seems more difficult to course correct the more content you make.
There's really no right answer, although there are certainly a few wrong ones.

My best advice to devs is to not get too hung up on this sort of thing. If it's your first game, you're going to make mistakes anyway. I imagine not a lot of people will check out a game until after you've put out a few updates.