How to achieve comic effect or sketch effect in Daz 3d renders?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Photoshop filters may have come far enough along to do it consistently at this point, but I couldn't tell you if they have or not. But the easiest option is going to be shaders, most likely.

You're still going to get a CG-esque look to them, but it's better than nothing.

BigBlackCockGuy

Oct 23, 2022
I tried sketchy but I cannot make it work with Hair assets I don't know why. The black outline is not coming for the hair assets whereas the figures has it it

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hi I want to give a sketchy effect to my daz renders instead of the 3d look, how to achieve this?
It's a tricky one imho. As it really go against the direction DS went.

Daz never implemented Iray's outlines - so you won't see any solid Iray shader for it. Maybe you could reach it via editing canvas but it's gonna be way too much work for a single image. So Iray solution inside Daz, not so much.

Switching to 3DL should be fine as long as you can deal with (quite awful) ShaderMixer. Should be the fastest way to generate outlines inside DS. Outside DS, there is , a blender fork dedicated to NPR shaders.

Another solution, is to see the state of AI editing. Something in the like of but more modern (lol). I'm sure some software developped filter to make any photo sketchy (Topaz labs and so on). Should worth it to take a look.

Reactions: BigBlackCockGuy

BigBlackCockGuy

Oct 23, 2022
It's a tricky one imho. As it really go against the direction DS went.

Daz never implemented Iray's outlines - so you won't see any solid Iray shader for it. Maybe you could reach it via editing canvas but it's gonna be way too much work for a single image. So Iray solution inside Daz, not so much.

Switching to 3DL should be fine as long as you can deal with (quite awful) ShaderMixer. Should be the fastest way to generate outlines inside DS. Outside DS, there is , a blender fork dedicated to NPR shaders.

Another solution, is to see the state of AI editing. Something in the like of but more modern (lol). I'm sure some software developped filter to make any photo sketchy (Topaz labs and so on). Should worth it to take a look.
So there is no way inside Daz to make 2d sketch type renders yeah? that's sad, And about this Topaz Studio, is it paid or free?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
With Iray it's dead in the water.
You should give a shot with 3DL (cost nothing).
GooBlender nodes are awesome.

I pirate everything (Topaz Studio and so on), give a shoot.

BigBlackCockGuy

Oct 23, 2022
With Iray it's dead in the water.
You should give a shot with 3DL (cost nothing).
GooBlender nodes are awesome.

I pirate everything (Topaz Studio and so on), give a shoot.
I downloaded Topaz Studio, but i couldn't find the Sketch filter you showed above

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It's just right there :

Topaz_Studio_2_55rasjCarD.jpg

But it was just an exemple - like you shouldn't ever use raw filter like that. It's proof-of-concept purpose (it's already nearly ~5 years old). You should do proper research for your project.