How to become a Dev

BlueMonkeyGames

Nov 10, 2023
Hey guys. I've been wanting to make my own AVN for some time and as someone with only basic HTML knowledge it hasn't been a simple journey to say the least. Been learning and working for a month now and I feel like my progress is decreasing.

Obviously after a month of research I have found and learned some things. I've studied the RenPy engine and learned some basic coding. I've also downloaded and gotten into the basics of Daz Studio. I have been following a simple guide on YouTube but noticed that after I couldn't just copy paste whatever he was doing my progress started to decrease.

So my questions to you devs out there; How do you start the journey of becoming a dev? Are there any skilled and experienced devs that are helping people to start their journey, and if so I would appreciate any tips or links for videoes/pages that could help me out.

Reactions: tariktokluk

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hey guys. I've been wanting to make my own AVN for some time and as someone with only basic HTML knowledge it hasn't been a simple journey to say the least. Been learning and working for a month now and I feel like my progress is decreasing.

Obviously after a month of research I have found and learned some things. I've studied the RenPy engine and learned some basic coding. I've also downloaded and gotten into the basics of Daz Studio. I have been following a simple guide on YouTube but noticed that after I couldn't just copy paste whatever he was doing my progress started to decrease.

So my questions to you devs out there; How do you start the journey of becoming a dev? Are there any skilled and experienced devs that are helping people to start their journey, and if so I would appreciate any tips or links for videoes/pages that could help me out.

What are your computer specs? Do not be so sure that you can use DAZ3D, it has high requirements and it's not honestly worth using unless you have a nvidia card.

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
If you join Discord, there are a lot of resources/people that can help point you in the right direction. It's taken me a long time just to get a demo off the ground, so don't feel discouraged. My advice would be to keep your ambitions small, and just enjoy Daz for now. I had a hard time learning RenPy (I'm still not an expert), and it wasn't very rewarding, so I would suggest focusing on Daz because that will be more rewarding than anything. But like Winterfire said, it's a system hog, and if your system is under-powered then Daz is almost unusable.

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
If you join Discord, there are a lot of resources/people that can help point you in the right direction. It's taken me a long time just to get a demo off the ground, so don't feel discouraged. My advice would be to keep your ambitions small, and just enjoy Daz for now. I had a hard time learning RenPy (I'm still not an expert), and it wasn't very rewarding, so I would suggest focusing on Daz because that will be more rewarding than anything. But like Winterfire said, it's a system hog, and if your system is under-powered then Daz is almost unusable.
I may create VN to bath script lol. 'Study RenPy...' :HideThePain: Don't say about it someone who know C or Assembley language

Thicc Lord

Purveyor of Thicc
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
First off, I really don't want to be rude but this is a topic that comes up a lot in this forum.
Here
Here
Here
Here

(That's just a few, use the search tool).

If you want to become a Dev, the first part is really knowing what you can and can't achieve. Practice your craft, create shitty Ren'Py games with images ripped from rule34 or Google and just practice using Ren'Py in general. You don't even need to publish them, just send them to friends to try. They don't even need to be NSFW.

Once you have that down, practice Daz. Watch tutorials, learn, render, repeat.

When you think you're ready for the next stage, you need to design your game. Have a good view in mind of what game you're trying to make.
KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid: Do not go in to this making a game with free-roam, sandbox, multiple protags, multiple endings, cinematic animations etc. You're dooming yourself to failure (especially if solo). Have a contained, single protag story and do that first.
Remember, if the game goes well you can always add extras to it later or create a more ambitious sequel!

Now to respond to some of the other comments...

If you click on the discord link in my name, I know a place. Just make it clear you are who you are and we (me and a few others) would be glad to help. Thicc Lord , Winterfire and TheDevian are amongst those in there. We got a good group of people. :)
100% on this. A good bunch of people that will be more than happy to help and to tell you how it is. We're not going to sugar-coat our advice. If you're being way too ambitious, we shall certainly tell you.
What are your computer specs? Do not be so sure that you can use DAZ3D, it has high requirements and it's not honestly worth using unless you have a nvidia card.
A good graphics card and the right settings on it will make life easier here. 12GB Graphics card is highly recommended. CPU is less important, as you tell Daz to ignore it. RAM however is still utilised and you'll want a good amount of disk space for renders, assets etc.
DAZ3D not honestly worth using at all
This is an opinion and considering a huge amount of games use this, I would certainly think it's a bad one.
There are multiple Discord servers out there for all of this stuff. I'm not going to post them all here, but feel free to message me on Discord (thicclover) and I'll certainly throw some links your way.

TheMagicalGurl

God of Pregnancy
Game Developer
Feb 19, 2023
My invite extends to you too. :) If you want help, you are welcome to join if you follow my Discord link in my sig…

Reactions: BlueMonkeyGames

BlueMonkeyGames

Nov 10, 2023
If you click on the discord link in my name, I know a place. Just make it clear you are who you are and we (me and a few others) would be glad to help. Thicc Lord , Winterfire and TheDevian are amongst those in there. We got a good group of people. :)
First off, I really don't want to be rude but this is a topic that comes up a lot in this forum.
Here
Here
Here
Here

(That's just a few, use the search tool).

If you want to become a Dev, the first part is really knowing what you can and can't achieve. Practice your craft, create shitty Ren'Py games with images ripped from rule34 or Google and just practice using Ren'Py in general. You don't even need to publish them, just send them to friends to try. They don't even need to be NSFW.

Once you have that down, practice Daz. Watch tutorials, learn, render, repeat.

When you think you're ready for the next stage, you need to design your game. Have a good view in mind of what game you're trying to make.
KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid: Do not go in to this making a game with free-roam, sandbox, multiple protags, multiple endings, cinematic animations etc. You're dooming yourself to failure (especially if solo). Have a contained, single protag story and do that first.
Remember, if the game goes well you can always add extras to it later or create a more ambitious sequel!

Now to respond to some of the other comments...

100% on this. A good bunch of people that will be more than happy to help and to tell you how it is. We're not going to sugar-coat our advice. If you're being way too ambitious, we shall certainly tell you.

A good graphics card and the right settings on it will make life easier here. 12GB Graphics card is highly recommended. CPU is less important, as you tell Daz to ignore it. RAM however is still utilised and you'll want a good amount of disk space for renders, assets etc.

This is an opinion and considering a huge amount of games use this, I would certainly think it's a bad one.

There are multiple Discord servers out there for all of this stuff. I'm not going to post them all here, but feel free to message me on Discord (thicclover) and I'll certainly throw some links your way.
Thank you guys so much for the helpful advice. I'll definetly check the discord out.