README How to compress pictures/comics collections

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
Some pictures/comics collections can be huge, sometimes well above 50Gb. If you don't need 8K .png pictures to fap, you can compress your collections by following these instructions.

1. First of all, remove all the developer's files. In picture collections, you will often find files such as .psd, .clip, Photoshop brushes, videos or .gif timelapses, etc. You only want to keep the pictures [unless the artist also makes animations and gifs!, in which case compress these files following the tutorial for compressing animations].
Use the search function (ctrl+F) and type the extensions of the files you want to remove (eg. ".psd"). The collection will already be much lighter after this.

2. For the compression, use the freeware . You need to configure it as in the following pictures:
a. In the "Input" tab, be sure to select "delete original" and "clear the input files"
screenshot_58.png
b. Still in the "Input" tab, go in the "format section, select "JPG", and quality 90%.
screenshot_59.png

3. In the "Actions tab", add the image->resize and clean metadata" actions, then add the following presets:
screenshot_61.png

(You only have to configure xnconvert once).

4. Finally, drag and drop your collection folder into the "Input" tab. Xnconvert is a great software, which can automatically detect files in the subfolders, and it keeps the original folder structure.
Once the files have finished loading, sort them by extention, so you can be sure you haven't missed any developer's files. If there are only picture formats, you're good to go, and click convert.

screenshot_64.png

Xnconvert can save you up to 99% of disk space: a 4K .png picture will typically weighs 15Mb, but only 150Kb once converted to a 2000p .jpg (99% size reduction)!

Last edited:
May 12, 2021
Some pictures/comics collections can be huge, sometimes well above 50Gb. If you don't need 8K .png pictures to fap, you can compress your collections by following these instructions.

1. First of all, remove all the developer's files. In picture collections, you will often find files such as .psd, .clip, Photoshop brushes, videos or .gif timelapses, etc. You only want to keep the pictures [unless the artist also makes animations and gifs!, in which case compress these files following the tutorial for compressing animations].
Use the search function (ctrl+F) and type the extensions of the files you want to remove (eg. ".psd"). The collection will already be much lighter after this.

2. For the compression, use the freeware . You need to configure it as in the following pictures:
a. In the "Input" tab, be sure to select "delete original" and "clear the input files"
View attachment 2102542
b. Still in the "Input" tab, go in the "format section, select "JPG", and quality 90%.
View attachment 2102547

3. In the "Actions tab", add the image->resize and clean metadata" actions, then add the following presets:
View attachment 2102553

(You only have to configure xnconvert once).

4. Finally, drag and drop your collection folder into the "Input" tab. Xnconvert is a great software, which can automatically detect files in the subfolders, and it keeps the original folder structure.
Once the files have finished loading, sort them by extention, so you can be sure you haven't missed any developer's files. If there are only picture formats, you're good to go, and click convert.

View attachment 2102557

Xnconvert can save you up to 99% of disk space: a 4K .png picture will typically weighs 15Mb, but only 150Kb once converted to a 2000p .jpg (99% size reduction)!
Well what if my grand kids inherit my priced SSD? they might consider 2K as a very low resolution and scoff at my collection :(

On a serious note thanks for this !

wivers

Jun 4, 2017
Rather than convert the files in .jpg, you might consider converting them into .webp.
It is a better lossy format, and nowadays it is pretty much as well supported as .jpg.

You can also do it with XnConvert (Or XnView), and you might want to tick the "use sharp (and slow) RGB->YUV conversion" in the setting bellow the webp format selector (in "output")

Last edited:

Nabiru3

Jun 24, 2023
I tried xnconvert however the result is usually way too details loss to my liking, so I tried a bunch of other apps until I finally found one, that can results in an almost 50% decrease in file size while mainting reasonable sizes, and it basically offers much more free control over compression and processing.... jPEGcompressor (however some features including batch compression require to pay a subscription, but you can always find it some place else)

ivanov95

Oct 23, 2017
Only a small edit under Output, you forgot to mention to remove "_result" from {Filename}.

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
Only a small edit under Output, you forgot to mention to remove "_result" from {Filename}.
I think that if you check the "clear output files", it doesn't add the the suffix "_result".

ivanov95

Oct 23, 2017
I think that if you check the "clear output files", it doesn't add the the suffix "_result".
It's "Clear 'input' file(s)" which clears the input files section. There is nothing what you mentioned. Just tested it and the suffix "_result" needs to be deleted if you want to keep original naming or your own naming.

But it's just a small thing anyway, most ppl probably don't even care as long as they're fapping. :KEK:

Oh and BTW, converting OG files to WebP with same settings of quality is also good. And it saves even more space depending on how big the collection. I haven't seen any difference b/w converted JPGs and WebPs, but that also might be me tho.

Last edited:

Calendar

Jun 18, 2020
Just wanna share, I'm using this

The default settings are good. JPEGXL is the best compression wise but check if your target device can handle it. Otherwise AVIF is the second best. Of course you can tinker the settings to make filesize smoller with it too.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes