Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Cainhurst

Feb 28, 2019
How to create a Mac version:
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK from here: (click on "Download SDK zip")
  2. Unzip the downloaded zip file
  3. Inside the unzipped folder, create a folder with the game name eg:"DMD" (could be anything else)
  4. Open the newly created "DMD" folder and copy the "game" folder from 'Windows version of the game'
  5. Go back to the root of the Ren'Py SDK folder and double click on renpy.app. If you get a warning, click OK. On the left, under "Projects", select "DMD".
From here, you can just play from within the SDK, just hit "Launch Project" on the bottom right and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can continue and create a standalone version:
  1. Under "Navigate Script", click "Force Recompile" (not sure if this step is necessary, but just to be sure)
  2. When done, under "Navigate Script", click on "Build Distributions". When it loaded, select "Macintosh x86" on the right. Have only that option selected. Then click on "Build" on the bottom right. This will take a while.
  3. Navigate into the "DMD_0.10-dists" folder that got created in the root of the Ren'Py SDK. There, unzip the "DMD_0.10-mac" zip file.
  4. Go into the newly unzipped folder and move "DMD.app" to your /Applications folder. Double click "DMD.app" in the /Applications folder to play. You don't need the Ren'Py SDK anymore, so it is safe to exit and delete it.

Modified - Thanks to Andel for the tutorial

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------

Alternatives:

Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into OS X app-bundles. No need to install emulators or operating systems

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac - The fastest, easiest, and most powerful solution for running Windows applications on a Mac—without rebooting.
It worked Thanks a lot!

Nov 9, 2017
Instead of doing this just use WINE. I have found Windows version via WINE to a be a little neater (in that they don't create new safe folders deep in the user folder) then their mac counterparts.

Reactions: Troy9000

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
To clarify my position...
I invested, and helped my then girlfriend's dad open one of the first Apple stores in 1981. Things have changed a lot since those days. The industry grew and apple seemingly intentionally stayed behind, to where at one point their best model was compatible with less than 1% of the software on the market. Apple nearly went bankrupt in the mid 80, and would not exist today, had it not been for IBM bailing them out, buying 30% of apple's freefalling stock. To this day many fools believe they were competitors, but Apple has never in it's history had a considerable share in the computer market, not once broaching 5% of annual sales.

Putting apple computers in schools, as you noted, was a wise marketing decision. Many children never moved on from what was familiar. There are not "a lot more of you" than I think. As a past president of AppleComputerUsersGroup, trust me you are a small minority. I commend you, for your charitable act. Buying an overpriced apple computer, puts 2 shitboxes in a school somewhere for underprivileged youth. You'd think... I paid so fucking much for this machine I should be entitled to some support from apple to play games. Good luck with that.

While many larger developers do have several machines with various hardware configurations to beta test, and debug their games, most of these small game developers do not. A lot of these devs have released an apple version, stating that they don't have hardware to test it.

So, if you mac community members (my condolences on the loss of your messiah, AIDS is a terrible way to go)
more power to you, in your quest to be nonconformists. Like you said it comes at a price, and given what you payed, you really should be ENTITLED to ask apple for support, but you are not entitled to make demands of small developers, resulting from your poor life choices, and bad decisions.

I too am saddened by the direction the company has gone with the loss of Mr. Jobs. It only means that Apple has become more like the rest of the industry. Sour grapes doesn't make Apples rotten! Yes I will grant you They are pricey, but I paid just as much for my PC boxes with equivalent quality components* and I have to jump through ridiculous hoops to run MacOS just so it can crash on me constantly. Windoze, meanwhile continues to crash just as frequently as it does on my Mac boxes... While I will grant that VHS for example became the popular format... Sony Beta was FAR superior. So for SOME people it may have been a bad choice... but it was the LACK of people demanding content in that format that killed the better product... as consumers we are "entitled" to demand what we want and devs are entitled to ignore us if they wish. This could be a good or bad decision on the devs part depending on supply and demand of the market. It is silly to lose significant market share if all it takes is compiling another build in order to serve it. Even 5-10% is significant to a dev who is running on the edge of success.

So I remain unconvinced and I will agree to disagree. In my field (CEH) there are significant advantages to running my Mac boxes...

* The Mac cases however have been FAR more durable than all but the "tough" PCs I have had, those were never available in leading edge configurations and they were heavier than 2 road bricks.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I too am saddened by the direction the company has gone with the loss of Mr. Jobs. It only means that Apple has become more like the rest of the industry. Sour grapes doesn't make Apples rotten! Yes I will grant you They are pricey, but I paid just as much for my PC boxes with equivalent quality components* and I have to jump through ridiculous hoops to run MacOS just so it can crash on me constantly. Windoze, meanwhile continues to crash just as frequently as it does on my Mac boxes... While I will grant that VHS for example became the popular format... Sony Beta was FAR superior. So for SOME people it may have been a bad choice... but it was the LACK of people demanding content in that format that killed the better product... as consumers we are "entitled" to demand what we want and devs are entitled to ignore us if they wish. This could be a good or bad decision on the devs part depending on supply and demand of the market. It is silly to lose significant market share if all it takes is compiling another build in order to serve it. Even 5-10% is significant to a dev who is running on the edge of success.

So I remain unconvinced and I will agree to disagree. In my field (CEH) there are significant advantages to running my Mac boxes...

* The Mac cases however have been FAR more durable than all but the "tough" PCs I have had, those were never available in leading edge configurations and they were heavier than 2 road bricks.

We don't have to disagree for much longer, the next gen Mac will run Windohs.

View attachment main-qimg-27569fd3f32c2ac96cf2fef111277d89.webp

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
More likely Linux... but mine already run both Windows and Linux as Multiboot.... so whatever.... I am but a servant of MY clients needs.

Nov 9, 2017
We don't have to disagree for much longer, the next gen Mac will run Windohs.
Never heard of Boot Camp, which came out April 5, 2006 some 13 years ago, have we?

It is comments like this one that makes we wonder if the Windows community even has clue one regarding the reality of Macs. Or they continue to live in their own little world as their one valid claim, more games, gets carved up by the console market and what is ported runs like crap even if it didn't need to?

Reactions: Troy9000

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Never heard of Boot Camp, which came out April 5, 2006 some 13 years ago, have we?

It is comments like this one that makes we wonder if the Windows community even has clue one regarding the reality of Macs. Or they continue to live in their own little world as their one valid claim, more games, gets carved up by the console market and what is ported runs like crap even if it didn't need to?

13 years ago? :ROFLMAO:
Apple was bankrupt, and IBM bailed them out.

1997 when Apple was again bankrupt, and Microsoft bailed them out.

Reactions: tossler
Apr 4, 2020
dmg works better but only after copying the whole folder to applications which makes works better just did it after many tries and it works. needed this

Tester_21

Nov 20, 2018
How to create a Mac version:
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK from here: (click on "Download SDK zip")
  2. Unzip the downloaded zip file
  3. Inside the unzipped folder, create a folder with the game name eg:"DMD" (could be anything else)
  4. Open the newly created "DMD" folder and copy the "game" folder from 'Windows version of the game'
  5. Go back to the root of the Ren'Py SDK folder and double click on renpy.app. If you get a warning, click OK. On the left, under "Projects", select "DMD".
From here, you can just play from within the SDK, just hit "Launch Project" on the bottom right and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can continue and create a standalone version:
  1. Under "Navigate Script", click "Force Recompile" (not sure if this step is necessary, but just to be sure)
  2. When done, under "Navigate Script", click on "Build Distributions". When it loaded, select "Macintosh x86" on the right. Have only that option selected. Then click on "Build" on the bottom right. This will take a while.
  3. Navigate into the "DMD_0.10-dists" folder that got created in the root of the Ren'Py SDK. There, unzip the "DMD_0.10-mac" zip file.
  4. Go into the newly unzipped folder and move "DMD.app" to your /Applications folder. Double click "DMD.app" in the /Applications folder to play. You don't need the Ren'Py SDK anymore, so it is safe to exit and delete it.

Modified - Thanks to Andel for the tutorial

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------

Alternatives:

Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into OS X app-bundles. No need to install emulators or operating systems

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac - The fastest, easiest, and most powerful solution for running Windows applications on a Mac—without rebooting.
It works bro thank you so much!

tossler

Jul 1, 2017
Thanks for posting this, and the procedure usually works great, but occasionally (after Force Recompile) some games hit the wall at the Build Distributions stage. I will get the following prompt:

"Your project does not contain build information. Would you like to add build information to the end of options.rpy?" Y / N

Neither of those selections gives me a playable game. What is missing, and is there any workaround?

stfno

Dec 15, 2018
If renpy.app only shows up for a split second or doesnt do anything; the fix is:
Right click on renpy.app > Show package content > Contents > MacOS > right click renpy > Open

Thanks for the tutorial btw!

bonchan5893

Feb 15, 2020
can someone update this with a more indepth process on how to do this. I'm confused on how to do this. Thanksss

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Here is a step-by-step instruction for Mac users made by a Linux user

1. Donwload the Windows version of a Ren'Py game.
2. Check which Ren'Py version were used to make the game:
2.1. For this, check the game's folder and open "log.txt". Check the Ren'Py version (here Ren'Py 7.3.5.606):
Code:
Thu May 21 17:22:54 2020
Linux-4.15.0-101-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Note: Ren'Py 7.3.5 is the latest available version. Some games were made with an older Ren'Py version.
EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE BY goobdoob
It is extremely important to match the version of the SDK with the version of the game. 7.3.5 SDK with 6.0.99 game WILL cause issues. I've seem problems with 7.2 SDK and 7.1 game.

Also...<game>/Contents/Resources/Autorun/game/script_version.txt will tell you the SDK version used to make the game.
3. Visit Ren'Py's homepage ( ) and download the correct Ren'Py SDK dmg version according to step 2.1.
3.1 Save Ren'Py.dmg where you store all your games (Ren'Py SDK will use this folder to find "projects")
4. Run Ren'Py SDK
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Note: Because we saved Ren'Py SDK in the same directory as all our other Ren'Py games they are now listed on the left side under "Projects".
5. Select the game from your "Projects"-List (see spoiler tag: left side) for which you want to build a stand-alone Mac build and click on "Build Distributions" (right panel).
6. Select the distribution you want to compile: Macintosh x86_64 and then click on "Build"
7.Extract game and run game.app as native Mac build.
8. Enjoy the game.

Last edited:

bonchan5893

Feb 15, 2020
Here is a step-by-step instruction for Mac users made by a Linux user

1. Donwload the Windows version of a Ren'Py game.
2. Check with which Ren'Py version the game was made:
2.1. For this, check the game's folder and open "log.txt". Check the Ren'Py version (here Ren'Py 7.3.5.606):
Code:
Thu May 21 17:22:54 2020
Linux-4.15.0-101-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Note: Ren'Py 7.3.5 is the latest available version. Some games were made with an older Ren'Py version.
3. Visit Ren'Py's homepage ( ) and download the correct Ren'Py SDK dmg version according to step 2.1.
3.1 Save Ren'Py.dmg where you store all your games (Ren'Py SDK will use this folder to find "projects")
4. Run Ren'Py SDK
Note: Because we saved Ren'Py SDK in the same directory as all our other Ren'Py games they are now listed on the left side under "Projects".
5. Select the game from your "Projects"-List (see spoiler tag: left side) for which you want to build a stand-alone Mac build and click on "Build Distributions" (right panel).
6. Select the distribution you want to compile: Macintosh x86_64 and then click on "Build"
7.Extract game and run game.app as native Mac build.
8. Enjoy the game.
how do I add games to the projects section??

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes