How to create or find game models with free copyright?

ucheerme

Dec 1, 2019
I am trying to make a new game but the problem i am now facing is where to find or create 2d or 3d models with free copyright.It would be great if someone could answer my doubt :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
It depends what render engine you are using. If your using Daz the really free ones are very limited. Most people on here start out with pirated assets, released on this forum.

If you are more flexible with render engines, you got a bit more options. Smutbase has a fair amount of free to use lewd models of game characters, mainly for. Blender. Not entirely sure about commercial usage though.

Then you got sites like sketch fab, or turbosquid, which has a limited amount of free content.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah; as Synx said, it's highly dependent on your use case. For DAZ, there are free asset packs and you can import OBJ files from elsewhere if you want.

If you look at specific engines, like Unity or Unreal, there are also lots of environmental asset packs on the store.

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
Daz license allows you to use any render you've created in any way you want, the strict license applies to the cases that you want to use the assets in their 3D form.
The problem of free assets is matching their style, you can spend weeks browsing the free assets and still end up with a bunch of mismatches.
I've started working with daz to render my own characters, but after filling my hard drives with downloaded assets, I've realized that I'm spending all of my time testing and sorting the usable ones while I can spend the same time making money to pay others for ready to use art. I suggest calculating your times value first, it helps you decide which way to go.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Given the site you're on... there are other options...
(assuming you're rendering static images and not creating a 3D game in Unity or Unreal, etc).

Maybe consider browsing the assets releases here on the site and anything you find you might want to use, go have a look on the Daz3D store and/or , to have a look how much that assets costs. Having checked the prices... if it's something you would consider buying in the future - use the ripped off version to create your game. Keep an eye on costs... don't grab everything and anything just because it's "free"...

... Then, if you ever make any money from the sales of your game... use that money to buy the assets you used. Prioritize them according to how much you used them and how prominent they are within your game and pay for the "big item" stuff first. Or just pay for the stuff you thought deserved the money first. Whatever.

Tweak things. Play with the dials. Use different eyes or different hair. Mix and match skin textures. Anything to make it slightly less obvious which assets you've used. Personally, I can't tell half the G8F assets apart already.

For the most part, pick assets you think are popular. Because once it's rendered into a .png/.jpg - there's very little way of telling if you've used a purchased or unpurchased asset. (The exceptions being the very low sales assets, where the author probably knows most of the people who bought their asset ... and therefore knows you probably didn't).

All of which assume someone might actually notice what assets you've used... They probably won't.