How to get notifications when a thread is updated.

Mar 18, 2020
I watch game threads all the time but only get notifications when people reply to the thread, I don't get any notifications when a thread is updated or when the game has an update. Is there an option somewhere to turn it on? How do you find out when a game you are watching gets updated?

Reactions: Crystal Clover
Mar 18, 2020
You can't, it's something that might or might not happen in the next site big update.
well here's hoping. No one gives a shit when someone replies to a thread their watching unless someone is replying to their comment. I just wanna know when the games get updated, and it would help the developers get more feedback and support from people who are following their game.

Reactions: Spicygaming

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
well here's hoping. No one gives a shit when someone replies to a thread their watching unless someone is replying to their comment. I just wanna know when the games get updated, and it would help the developers get more feedback and support from people who are following their game.
For updates, you can just check the Latest Updates section and you should be fine. For random comments and chatting in general, start getting used to check your Watched list so you can know where people comment even if you weren't notified.

• Angry
Reactions: JamesD123

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
For updates, you can just check the Latest Updates section and you should be fine. For random comments and chatting in general, start getting used to check your Watched list so you can know where people comment even if you weren't notified.
For the most part I agree, but some people aren't here every day. Finding games in the Latest Updates can be frustrating if you haven't been here for a week or so.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
For the most part I agree, but some people aren't here every day. Finding games in the Latest Updates can be frustrating if you haven't been here for a week or so.
If someone want to see what's new then anyone can just go there and see what's new since the last time. If someone wants to check a specific game then just go to that specific game's thread and check if the current version is different. No need to be here every day in any case.

• Angry
Mar 18, 2020
asdfsfasd
If someone want to see what's new then anyone can just go there and see what's new since the last time. If someone wants to check a specific game then just go to that specific game's thread and check if the current version is different. No need to be here every day in any case.
how are you supposed to know which specific game is updated or not, for example i watch around 20 games. Let's say one of them gets updated at random during a one week hiatus of visiting this site. I can't just check a specific game's thread, I don't know which one has been updated. I have to either go through my whole watched games list, or scroll through latest updates. It would be much easier to have a notification of some sort to indicate which game has been updated.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
asdfsfasd

how are you supposed to know which specific game is updated or not, for example i watch around 20 games. Let's say one of them gets updated at random during a one week hiatus of visiting this site. I can't just check a specific game's thread, I don't know which one has been updated. I have to either go through my whole watched games list, or scroll through latest updates. It would be much easier to have a notification of some sort to indicate which game has been updated.
The name of the thread changes to reflect the new version number. Apart from that, there's no way to know

Reactions: BlackDahliaStudios

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
The name of the thread changes to reflect the new version number. Apart from that, there's no way to know
That. If the version you played say something like 0.6 and the thread now says 0.7 is because the game was updated.

• Angry
Mar 18, 2020
That. If the version you played say something like 0.6 and the thread now says 0.7 is because the game was updated.
with 20-30 games in my watched tab how am is anybody supposed to reliably remember which games have been updated recently. which is why there is a need for a notification of sorts that pops up when a game is updated or a thread is updated.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
with 20-30 games in my watched tab how am is anybody supposed to reliably remember which games have been updated recently. which is why there is a need for a notification of sorts that pops up when a game is updated or a thread is updated.
Dude, just do one thing and check the version number in the game's folder. Do you delete games after playing them? Remember the version number you last played. Do you have bad memory? Write the number somewhere. It isn't that hard.

I get what you say, the forum could always do something more to help the users, but the users could always do something less so that something more that the forum did is never enough.

• Angry

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Dude, just do one thing and check the version number in the game's folder. Do you delete games after playing them? Remember the version number you last played. Do you have bad memory? Write the number somewhere. It isn't that hard.

I get what you say, the forum could always do something more to help the users, but the users could always do something less so that something more that the forum did is never enough.
I think you're arguing just to argue now. You just told a guy to check 20-30 names individually every time he comes to the site if he visits sporadically.

That's ridiculous.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I think you're arguing just to argue now. You just told a guy to check 20-30 names individually every time he comes to the site if he visits sporadically.

That's ridiculous.
You want to check one game? Go to the thread's game and check the current version number.

You want to check 20-30 games? Go through Latest Updates and check what games have been updated since you last time. You'll also find new games you could like to play.

Don't care about new games or don't feel like scrolling for that long? Go through the Watched section and check what thread have unreaded comments. If I game was updated then it surelly got new comments, so all your games will be listed there with his current version number for you to know if it was updated or not.

I agree that I'm arguing just to argue now because I feel like I'm talking to walls.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
You want to check one game? Go to the thread's game and check the current version number.

You want to check 20-30 games? Go through Latest Updates and check what games have been updated since you last time. You'll also find new games you could like to play.

Don't care about new games or don't feel like scrolling for that long? Go through the Watched section and check what thread have unreaded comments. If I game was updated then it surelly got new comments, so all your games will be listed there with his current version number for you to know if it was updated or not.

I agree that I'm arguing just to argue now because I feel like I'm talking to walls.
lol, You're going in circles. You haven't changed any of your responses even when it's been pointed out several times that what you are saying isn't feasible. I think the problem here is the typical "I'm right. I'm not really paying attention, but I'm still right."

You say: "Do this. reason 1"
We say: "reason 1 isn't feasible due to the pure number of updated games."
You say: "Do this, reason 2"
We say: "reason 2 isn't feasible for the pure number of games we'd be looking for."
You say: "OMG YOU'RE ALL WRONG DO REASON 1 OR REASON 2!!!"
We say: "Dude"
You say: "I feel like I'm talking to walls. Reason 1! Reason2!"

And round and round it goes. lol

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
lol, You're going in circles. You haven't changed any of your responses even when it's been pointed out several times that what you are saying isn't feasible. I think the problem here is the typical "I'm right. I'm not really paying attention, but I'm still right."

You say: "Do this. reason 1"
We say: "reason 1 isn't feasible due to the pure number of updated games."
You say: "Do this, reason 2"
We say: "reason 2 isn't feasible for the pure number of games we'd be looking for."
You say: "OMG YOU'RE ALL WRONG DO REASON 1 OR REASON 2!!!"
We say: "Dude"
You say: "I feel like I'm talking to walls. Reason 1! Reason2!"

And round and round it goes. lol
Okay, if we are going to write scripts then let me go full theather mode and write this dramatization:

Character A: "What if I'm hungry?"
Character B: "Here, take a fish"
Character A: "What if I don't want to wait for your fish every time?"
Character B: "Take this road and fish whenever you're hungry"
Character A: "What if I don't want to walk of the way to the river?"
Character B: "You can take one of the horses."
Character A: "What if the horse throws me?"
Character B: "They won't. They are well trained."
Character A: "What if they aren't well trained?"

Again, not only I think that the forum already has "solutions" for the "mentioned problems", I also think that no matter how much the forum does for the user, the user could always not do his part so whatever the forum does won't be good or enough.

Also, probably not for the same reasons but I do agree with you again that this has become pretty stupid.

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
Okay, if we are going to write scripts then let me go full theather mode and write this dramatization:

Character B: "Here, take a fish"
Character A: "What if I don't want to wait for your fish every time?"
Character B: "Take this road and fish whenever you're hungry"
Character A: "What if I don't want to walk of the way to the river?"
Character B: "You can take one of the horses."
Character A: "What if the horse throws me?"
Character B: "They won't. They are well trained."
Character A: "What if they aren't well trained?"

Again, not only I think that the forum already has "solutions" for the "mentioned problems", I also think that no matter how much the forum does for the user, the user could always not do his part so whatever the forum does won't be good or enough.

Also, probably not for the same reasons but I do agree with you again that this has become pretty stupid.
I think a more appropriate analogy would be:

Character B: "Here take a fish"
Character A: "But this is a salmon, I would like Tuna"
Character B: "Okay, I'll go pull a tuna out of tuna storage"
Character A: "How long has this tuna been in tuna storage? It smells rotten"
Character B: "No idea, but you can look through all of our fish records in that huge pile of papers over there"
Character A: "That is going to take a long time because I have no idea how those papers are organized"
Character B: "Then eat the salmon"
Character A: "But I would like Tuna"

etc...

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Character A: "How long has this tuna been in tuna storage? It smells rotten"
Character B: "No idea, but you can look through all of our fish records in that huge pile of papers over there"
Character A: "That is going to take a long time because I have no idea how those papers are organized"
Character B: "Then eat the salmon"
Character A: "But I would like Tuna"
I usually don't answer necroposts from a year ago, but you got a point so I'll do an exception: You're right, your analogy is better, because you're blaming "the system" for the users' own stupidity to understand how to use the tools given by the system.

I mean, tell me more about that system you call "fish records". Does it have a search bar where you can literally type the name of the fish? Does it have a tag feature that allows you to search fishes according to their caracteristics? Does it keep track of the last time it was updated and the last time you read it? Is the date of the last catched fish in, literally, the tittle?

Because you're talking about a "rotten" fish, which means old, and here we are talking about updates, which means new, so no it's a terrible analogy. It's literally the opposite of the idea here. It's the first time I ever hear of you and I already found your game. That's how hard finding what you want in this forum is.

Last edited:

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
I usually don't answer necroposts from a year ago, but you got a point so I'll do an exception: You're right, your analogy is better, because you're blaming "the system" for the users' own stupidity to understand how to use the tools given by the system.

I mean, tell me more about that system you call "fish records". Does it have a search bar where you can literally type the name of the fish? Does it have a tag feature that allows you to search fishes according to their caracteristics? Does it keep track of the last time it was updated and the last time you read it? Is the date of the last catched fish in, literally, the tittle?

Because you're talking about a "rotten" fish, which means old, and here we are talking about updates, which means new, so no it's a terrible analogy. It's literally the opposite of the idea here. It's the first time I ever hear of you and I already found your game. That's how hard finding what you want in this forum is.
To keep with the analogy, I don't think the other guy was arguing that it is difficult to determine how old the fish is, but rather that when a new fish is put into storage, he is unaware because he is not notified. Therefore the new fish will sit in storage for some amount of time, slowly approaching expiration until he manually decides to check on it. It's an imperfect analogy, but I was working with the metaphorical groundwork that already been laid. Game updates obviously don't expire, for example. I think he was really lamenting that he was hungry and could have gotten the fish immediately if he was notified each time a new fish arrives. That would be the tool that doesn't exist currently.

Being easy to find is not the same thing as knowing when to look.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
To keep with the analogy, I don't think the other guy was arguing that it is difficult to determine how old the fish is, but rather that when a new fish is put into storage, he is unaware because he is not notified. Therefore the new fish will sit in storage for some amount of time, slowly approaching expiration until he manually decides to check on it. It's an imperfect analogy, but I was working with the metaphorical groundwork that already been laid. Game updates obviously don't expire, for example. I think he was really lamenting that he was hungry and could have gotten the fish immediately if he was notified each time a new fish arrives. That would be the tool that doesn't exist currently.

Being easy to find is not the same thing as knowing when to look.
I know he wasn't asking how old the fish was, he was asking how new the latest fish is, that's why the analogy is bad, and if he's hungry he can go to the fish storage himself instead of waiting for someone else to tell him.

And no, it isn't a thing about knowing when to look, it's about knowing where to look, and there are at least 3 places to look for that, so yes being easy to find is an important thing.

Dude you're a dev. Sooner or later you'll learn that no matter how simple, clear or good your game design is, someone will blame you for their stupidity to understand how things work. The site has tools for that, it's just a matter of using them.

Last edited:
  • Angry

BlackDahliaStudios

Game Developer
Nov 18, 2020
I know he wasn't asking how old the fish was, he was asking how new the latest fish is, that's why the analogy is bad, and if he's hungry he can go to the fish storage himself instead of waiting for someone else to tell him.

And no, it isn't a thing about knowing when to look, it's about knowing where to look, and there are at least 3 places to look for that, so yes being easy to find is an important thing.

Dude you're a dev. Sooner or later you'll learn that no matter how simple, clear or good your game design is, someone will blame you for their stupidity to understand how things work. The site has tools for that, it's just a matter of using them.
I agree with you, but just because a tool works doesn't mean that it is optimized.