Ren'Py How to go about making a game

Kisthoria

Nov 29, 2020
Hi, I'm thinking about making a sandbox game with Renpy and Honey Select 2 and I have a lot of questions about the process. I think my main questions are:

1. Is there a good video about making general scenes with your characters (like general scenes such as two characters talking to each other in class and whatnot)

2. How to make sex scenes. Do I just press Play, have the two characters fuck, and then record that? Or do I use StudioNEOV2 to do that and record it there? Also, what HS2 mods do most game developers use and where can I find them? I think I've seen a lot about IronPy, but I couldn't find a download for it.

3. Is there also a video on how to make good backgrounds and stuff? For example, sandbox games like Max's Life have houses with full layouts and I'm not sure where I would go about making something like that. I'd have to make a full house with many rooms, a school, multiple shops, a map, and many other things. From what I've seen in other games, I think what's done is people get images for each background and just call them with Renpy when the corresponding button is clicked.

4. Does anyone know of a good video or guide on making a sandbox game? I don't think it'd be too hard compared to what I have to do with HS2, but it'd be tough figuring it out myself.

5. Do I have to use Photoshop and Blender to interact with the 3d models?

Anything helps, thank you.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I've try to avoiding answering these kinds of posts because they are so common, someone is always new and asking the same questions other have, but game making is a passion for me and every time I talk about it I try to find a better way to explain it.

So I would say for any major project, or for any devs starting out, the biggest challenge is figuring out how to think about things, how to organize the avalanche of information.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

that's all I really have energy to say. Learn how to use and master lables, practice breaking down your scenes and scripts, and using 'jump' and 'call' to do most of the game logic for you, by playing scripts that do different things. the enviorment script handles loading the scene background, character scripts worry about figuring out what conversation to play, and then the normal scenes are your building blocks.

Kisthoria

Nov 29, 2020
I've try to avoiding answering these kinds of posts because they are so common, someone is always new and asking the same questions other have, but game making is a passion for me and every time I talk about it I try to find a better way to explain it.

So I would say for any major project, or for any devs starting out, the biggest challenge is figuring out how to think about things, how to organize the avalanche of information.

that's all I really have energy to say. Learn how to use and master lables, practice breaking down your scenes and scripts, and using 'jump' and 'call' to do most of the game logic for you, by playing scripts that do different things. the enviorment script handles loading the scene background, character scripts worry about figuring out what conversation to play, and then the normal scenes are your building blocks.
Thanks for the long and descriptive reply. I'm somewhat experienced in programming so I'm hoping it's not gonna be to bad but this will help a lot :)