• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Blender How to have music not getting interrupted by animations?

Dojinji

Nov 10, 2018
I'm finishing my first game right now and tried to create my first animations, which worked pretty well.
I made an image series in DAZ, imported the images in blender, saved them as ffmpeg files in a matroska container (webm doesn't work for some reason in blender), chose the no sound option
and then used a website to convert the .mkv video into . webm as Ren'py doesn't play the .mkv video for whatever reason .

Finally I use
$ renpy.movie_cutscene("movies/placeholder.webm", loops=99) to play the movie.

My issue is that the video interrupts the music. once the animation starts the music in the scene stops playing and starts again after the animation is done.
Is there any way to make the animation not interrupt the music? I thought choosing "no sound" in blender when creating the animation would do the job but it didn't work.

I'm using
play music "music/placeholder.mp3" as the command for the music.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Whilst it's only 1/2 covered in the documentation, you're probably looking for the parameter for .

The default is stop_music=True, which is I guess what you are running into.

As an aside, you're specifying loops=99. I'm guessing you want "forever", not 99. For that you need to use loops=-1.

Also... .mkv is just the container. It "probably" contains an h.264 or h.265 encoded video stream. For this usage, .mp4 will work equally well and is "probably" supported by Blender directly (I don't use Blender). Though .webp (and it's encoded VP8/VP9 data) can be a good choice, if you want to keep the file size down. Personally, I prefer the slightly larger h264 encoded mp4 files - as h264 has a lower CPU usage and so will cause less issues on older devices. (Though those same older devices probably have limited storage space too... so it's a trade off).

Reactions: Dojinji

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Handbrake to convert, don't use online converters.