Daz Tutorial How to install Daz3D on Linux - updated with new method

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I've done the lutris route numerous times but it still only detects cpu even though I have an nvidia 2080ti can someone help me understand how to make it detect my gpu?
It seems that at some point, the version of the libraries the script downloads has stopped functioning (likely due to a change to the drivers or cuda). I've updated the post with a new script that uses a newer version and rendering appears to work. I have no tested physics.

The older version also remains available for anyone using an older driver.

I don't use Daz on a regular basis as I work in Blender. If there are further issues or future problems, please let me know so that I can look into them.

dreamtype

Jan 6, 2022
Okay so after installing using the Bottles method I ran some issues. Most of the issue I think have to do with flatpack.
The big issue I ran into was because of that causes xdg-document-portal to leak memory. Xdg-document-portal's memory useage will grow as fast as Bottles is talking to memory. So effectively DAZ and especially DIM, if you are installing many packages, will cause your system to freeze unless you kill the xdg-document-portal process first. However killing it or resetting it will also erase whatever DAZ or DIM currently has in RAM. So you will want to shut those down first otherwise DAZ will understandibly misbehave.

So eventually, I got around to finding a fix for it. Which is to install DAZ using Lutris (instead of Bottles). It runs noticably smoother now but more importantly my computer doesn't freeze. Here's my install process.

▶ Install DAZ in Ubuntu via Lutris
  1. Install wine dependencies and lutris. The following command should do:
    • Code:
      sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y wine64 wine32 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
      sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer python-evdev-doc
      sudo apt install lutris
  2. Download a runner (the version of wine you will use).
    1. Start Lutris
    2. Hover over the Wine tab and click the Manage Versions button
    3. Select Lutris-7.2 (the only runner I know works)
    4. Click OK
  3. Install DIM in a wine prefix
    1. Create folder to use as a wine prefix (This is where your DAZ system will reside)
    2. Download the installer for DIM -->
    3. In Lutris click the + icon in the top left to "create a game"
      1. for Name name it however you want
      2. for Runner drop down select Wine (if not already selected)
      3. in the Game Options tab
        1. for Executable click Browse... and select the DIM installer you downloaded
        2. for Wine prefix click Browse... and select the folder you created for your wine prefix
      4. in the Runner Options tab and make sure lutris-7.2-x86_64 is the runner
      5. click Save
    4. select the "game" and run it.
    5. Setup DIM as normal the way you would on Windows

▶ RUNNING DAZ STUDIO
  1. Fix the DIM launcher
    1. Find the DAZ Install Manager (64-bit).desktop file wine created. It might be on your desktop is so move it to trash as you'll want to edit the one located in ~/.local/share/applications/ directory (because it's what your desktop's application menu uses). It might be in a subdirectory.
    2. Open the file and look for the line that looks something like:
      1. Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/created/prefix" wine C:\\\\users\\\\yourusername\\\\AppData\\\\Roaming\\\\Microsoft\\\\Windows\\\\Start\\ Menu\\\\Programs\\\\DAZ\\ 3D\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\)\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\).lnk
    3. change it to:
      1. Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/created/prefix" ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine C:\\\\users\\\\yourusername\\\\AppData\\\\Roaming\\\\Microsoft\\\\Windows\\\\Start\\ Menu\\\\Programs\\\\DAZ\\ 3D\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\)\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\).lnk
  2. Once you've installed DAZ (via DIM). Do the same process for fixing the DAZ launcher
    • It will be called something like DAZ Studio 4.22 (64-bit).desktop.
  3. (Optional) Install OpenCL for dforce.
    • For Intell gpu's:
      • Code:
        sudo apt install intel-opencl-icd
        sudo apt install clinfo
    • For Nvidia or AMD I don't know

Last edited:

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Okay so after installing using the Bottles method I ran some issues. Most of the issue I think have to do with flatpack.
The big issue I ran into was because of that causes xdg-document-portal to leak memory. Xdg-document-portal's memory useage will grow as fast as Bottles is talking to memory. So effectively DAZ and especially DIM if you are installing many packages and cause your system to freeze unless you kill the process first. However killing it or resetting it will also erase whatever your DAZ or DIM currently has in RAM. So you will want to shut those down first otherwise DAZ will understandibly misbehave.

So eventually, I got around to finding a fix for it. Which is to install DAZ using Lutris (instead of Bottles). It runs noticably smoother now but more importantly my computer doesn't freeze. Here's my install process.

▶ Install DAZ in Ubuntu via Lutris
  1. Install wine dependencies and lutris. The following command should do:
    • Code:
      sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y wine64 wine32 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
      sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer python-evdev-doc
      sudo apt install lutris
  2. Download a runner (the version of wine you will use).
    1. Start Lutris
    2. Hover over the Wine tab and click the Manage Versions button
    3. Select Lutris-7.2 (the only runner I know works)
    4. Click OK
  3. Install DIM in a wine prefix
    1. Create folder to use as a wine prefix (This is where your DAZ system will reside)
    2. Download the installer for DIM -->
    3. click the + icon in the top left to "create a game"
      1. for Name name it however you want
      2. for Runner drop down select Wine (if not already selected)
      3. in the Game Options tab
        1. for Executable click Browse... and select the DIM installer you downloaded
        2. for Wine prefix click Browse... and select the folder you created for your wine prefix
      4. in the Runner Options tab and make sure lutris-7.2-x86_64 is the runner
      5. click Save
    4. select the "game" and run it.
    5. Setup DIM as normal the way you would on Windows

▶ RUNNING DAZ STUDIO
  1. Fix the DIM launcher
    1. Find the DAZ Install Manager (64-bit).desktop file wine created. It might be on your desktop is so move it to trash as you want to edit the one located in ~/.local/share/applications/ directory. It might be in a subdirectory.
    2. Open the file and look for the line that looks something like:
      1. Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/created/prefix" wine C:\\\\users\\\\yourusername\\\\AppData\\\\Roaming\\\\Microsoft\\\\Windows\\\\Start\\ Menu\\\\Programs\\\\DAZ\\ 3D\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\)\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\).lnk
    3. change it to:
      1. Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/created/prefix" ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine C:\\\\users\\\\yourusername\\\\AppData\\\\Roaming\\\\Microsoft\\\\Windows\\\\Start\\ Menu\\\\Programs\\\\DAZ\\ 3D\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\)\\\\DAZ\\ Install\\ Manager\\ \\(64-bit\\).lnk
  2. Once you've installed DAZ (via DIM). Do the same process for fixing the DAZ launcher
    • It will be called something like DAZ Studio 4.22 (64-bit).desktop.
  3. (Optional) Install OpenCL for dforce.
    • For Intell gpu's:
      • Code:
        sudo apt install intel-opencl-icd
        sudo apt install clinfo
    • For Nvidia or AMD I don't know
A few suggestions to clean up the guide. Note: Whatever distro you're using is shipping an older version of Lutris, so it's possible some of the things I suggest simply don't exist yet for you. It's also why (presumably) you couldn't follow my guide since I did get notified you liked it.

Installation: Rather than setting the executable to the installer, you can simply leave it blank, then click on the up arrow next to the Wine icon and select "Run EXE inside Wine prefix." (If your version doesn't have the Wine icon (I don't remember when it was added), the option will be under the arrow next to the 'Play' icon.) Then once the DIM setup finishes, update the executable option to point at the installed exe.

Desktop File: Lutris can create the desktop files for you. Just click on the arrow next to 'Play' and click "Create desktop shortcut" or "Create application menu shortcut." This will manage the wine prefix and binary for you.

OpenCL: Like Intel, as long as you install the required package for OpenCL on NVIDIA, the GPU gets detected without any further configuration. However, for some reason it doesn't perform properly. Personally, I installed pocl which runs OpenCL on the CPU, and that performs slightly better (weird, I know).